Barreiro This Morning

Dano564

Fleck Superfan
Reaction score
On Dan's Sunday sermons this morning, he was calling out PJ.

He wasn't asking for him to be fired, but he was very upset that he was playing the two cards of:

1. I'm limited with the players I have and some are hurt, and some are suspended.

and yesterday PJ said....

#2. It's all on himself (PJ). He has to do a better job.

Dan Barreiro said both get old and it's awfully early to play these two cards. It was strong criticism from Dan.

Evidently the right move would be to say something different like....

"I need to review the tape".
"We're looking forward to Tampa Bay"
"I don't have a crystal ball to know who will be healthy or suspended next week"
or
"I'm just not a very good coach, and I never should have been hired for this job. You will all soon see it was a mistake to hire me"
or
"This team has National Championship Caliber Talent, and Tracy Claeys would have been able to make it happen. My boss was an idiot for making the coaching change".

Of course, if any of those statements (if true) were uttered with that much honesty, we'd have far more to talk about between football games on sport radio than anything PJ said.

On a separate note, interesting how 5 games in, saying the health of players or the lack of players is no longer a valid excuse for PJ, But the GM of the Vikings has kept his job for the last several years with the same explanation.

Barreiro is a button pusher, that's his job, that's how he gets listeners. It's worked well for him. Take what he says with a grain of salt.

On Dan's Sunday sermons this morning, he was calling out PJ.

He wasn't asking for him to be fired, but he was very upset that he was playing the two cards of:

1. I'm limited with the players I have and some are hurt, and some are suspended.

and yesterday PJ said....

#2. It's all on himself (PJ). He has to do a better job.

Dan Barreiro said both get old and it's awfully early to play these two cards. It was strong criticism from Dan.

Evidently the right move would be to say something different like....

"I need to review the tape".
"We're looking forward to Tampa Bay"
"I don't have a crystal ball to know who will be healthy or suspended next week"
or
"I'm just not a very good coach, and I never should have been hired for this job. You will all soon see it was a mistake to hire me"
or
"This team has National Championship Caliber Talent, and Tracy Claeys would have been able to make it happen. My boss was an idiot for making the coaching change".

Of course, if any of those statements (if true) were uttered with that much honesty, we'd have far more to talk about between football games on sport radio than anything PJ said.

On a separate note, interesting how 5 games in, saying the health of players or the lack of players is no longer a valid excuse for PJ, But the GM of the Vikings has kept his job for the last several years with the same explanation.

I'm convinced the Gophers would have beaten Purdue with Winfield and McGehee in the game. The reason this team has trouble covering the WR screen is the lack of foot speed at Safety and not reacting fast enough to the play. On offense they need to go to more two tight end sets. They had more success in the run game with two tight end sets and that offset tight end that seems to be a play they will have success off of.
Off that fly sweep action I would like to see them have Brooks flip pitch it back to Smith at least in the right look. Need to add a few more wrinkles to the looks they have been giving.
Spielman has been skating by for years, with some very poor drafts and the media does not hound the Vikings and Spielman the way they do the Gophers.

Some people simply can't be pleased. I can't count the number of posts where people say, "and he's not taking responsibility for his actions or for his coaching" and they get all bent out of shape about it. You have to remember negativity sells newspapers, negativity buys votes in an election unfortunately. Barreiro, Souhan & Reseue all are negative people in general and they know what sells so they do it to stir the pot and they love it. They don't care about anything good happening. Its the way they are and they are good role models for our younger generation.

I listened to Dan this morning, and I was just wondering, "What do you want Fleck to say".

If he's playing walk-ons, should he say "We ARE DEEP in the secondary!!"

Or "As coach, none of this is on me. This is all Tracy Claeys fault."

Can you imagine the fun time Dan would have if PJ said the opposite of what he said?

I understand people get paid to be a critic on the radio, but calling out the coach for saying it's on him... I found that strange.

I'm convinced the Gophers would have beaten Purdue with Winfield and McGehee in the game. The reason this team has trouble covering the WR screen is the lack of foot speed at Safety and not reacting fast enough to the play. On offense they need to go to more two tight end sets. They had more success in the run game with two tight end sets and that offset tight end that seems to be a play they will have success off of.
Off that fly sweep action I would like to see them have Brooks flip pitch it back to Smith at least in the right look. Need to add a few more wrinkles to the looks they have been giving.
Spielman has been skating by for years, with some very poor drafts and the media does not hound the Vikings and Spielman the way they do the Gophers.

I'd agree.

We're essentially missing two NFL-caliber players on our defense right now (according to some opinions).
Alabama can get by with losing that, and we maybe could if it happened to us at RB, but not secondary.

It wouldn't matter what he said, people like him would complain regardless. I just think constantly complaining about what a coach says is a waste of time.

Barreiro is garbage. The only show on KFAN that I refuse to listen to. But, what do I know............I like the power trip morning show and their penis jokes......

Barreiro is one of the worst. I don't think I've seen someone who knows less about sports on a sports talk network. He probably only watched a couple of highlights and then watches the presser to get his "ripping points". I can never listen to the guy because he is just so clueless. It doesn't matter what the team does...or ANY Minnesota sports team does and he will have some gas to pour on the fire.

I'm not a big fan of Barreiro, but he has a point.

Saying it's "all on me" gives the impression that he isn't throwing the team under the bus and is taking ownership for the team.

It's almost like when people say "I'm not racist but. . . . (something racist)" OR "I am not trying to be offensive but . . . (something offensive)".

Barreiro is right. Fleck shouldn't be calling this year zero and going on and on about the lack of depth and then saying "it's all on me".

It doesn't really bother me, most coaches do it. Jerry Kill did it.

Dan's complaint in part is that Fleck is waving the white flag on the season and that people will quickly tune them out for the rest of the season.

Fleck's positive metal will be tested all year by the media as they want to compare this year to 13-1 and 9-4 last year.

I moved from Minneapolis in 1995 after having been there 12 years, back to Houston. How in the world have Barriero and Reusse continued to be relevant sports personalities in Minnesota. Those guys were horrible 22 years ago. I get Sid being a Minnesota relic, but those other jack-offs are a joke.

Barreiro was against PJ from the beginning, much like any coach, player, team that is in the state he covers.

I moved from Minneapolis in 1995 after having been there 12 years, back to Houston. How in the world have Barriero and Reusse continued to be relevant sports personalities in Minnesota. Those guys were horrible 22 years ago. I get Sid being a Minnesota relic, but those other jack-offs are a joke.

Barreiro isn't really about sports.

I like Dan. The ratings say I'm not alone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rhoda throws bad interception:
- Fleck says: "He saw one thing; it was another thing."
- Fleck could have said: "We will work on reads this week."
Minnesota gets beat by Maryland:
- Fleck says: "We weren't talented enough to win."
- Fleck could have said: "We're going to go back and watch the film."

As much as we all hated Tracy's personality, his downbeat personality didn't make it feel like he was constantly blaming his players.

Coach speak is just as dumb as complaining about coach speak.

I like him on non-sports stuff. Often his sport takes show his lack knowledge about the teams. I think for a lot of teams his knowledge is as deep as the newspaper articles he read about the game. I doubt he watches many of the local sports teams, especially on a regular basis.

I'm not saying he's wrong in this particular case, just my opinion about Barreiro in general.

His ratings are good, but what are you asking for Fleck to say if you're criticizing the two things he said. Lack of depth / inexperience. Coaching saying it's on him.

The first thing you learn in any coaching theory class is NEVER disagree with the "written or SPOKEN(radio/tv) word". PJ is smart enough not to give them any ammunition. He knows they will always have the last word.

I generally like Dan, except for two things:

1) His interviews often consist of questions in which he first shares his own opinion at remarkable length, taking too much time away from the guest.

2) His annoying use of strawmen to set up his wise, carefully considered counterpoint. He might say something like, "Some are saying PJ Fleck should immediately be fired," then counter with his measured criticism, as if anyone actually said PJ should be fired and somehow Dan is the voice of reason.

Still, he is smart and often has a good take. But then again, I also like Reusse, who I often just plain disagree with. So what do I know?

I generally like Dan, except for two things:

1) His interviews often consist of questions in which he first shares his own opinion at remarkable length, taking too much time away from the guest.

2) His annoying use of strawmen to set up his wise, carefully considered counterpoint. He might say something like, "Some are saying PJ Fleck should immediately be fired," then counter with his measured criticism, as if anyone actually said PJ should be fired and somehow Dan is the voice of reason.

Still, he is smart and often has a good take. But then again, I also like Reusse, who I often just plain disagree with. So what do I know?

1. Yes. He's proud of this is some way. But it makes for short interviews for the guest.

2. Yes, he often will find some idiotic opinion fielded by someone with a twitter account and then play it off as if a near majority feel that way. (No, it's one idiotic twitter person). Don't make it sound like it's 48% of Gopher fans. It's one idiot from Kalamazoo who wanted to date Heather Fleck 4 years ago for all we know.

Not much else on the radio at that time of the day as to a talk show. Ratings may be ok but its not for reasons that people like him. I'm surprised though that you would like him being that Dan is a jerk and has super long questions at times. I can remember a time when Lou Nanne asked for a repeat of a question as it went on and on. I don't think anyone understood his question.

Not much else on the radio at that time of the day as to a talk show. <b>Ratings may be ok but its not for reasons that people like him. </b>I'm surprised though that you would like him being that Dan is a jerk and has super long questions at times. I can remember a time when Lou Nanne asked for a repeat of a question as it went on and on. I don't think anyone understood his question.

I remember talking to PA (who is a great guy, taught me to handicap, and is awesome at calling races - but I do not like his show, FTR) at Canterbury Park one time and he said that "half the people love Dan and half the people hate Dan, but everyone listens to Dan." Based on that, your bolded part could be correct. IMO, it is hard to top Barreiro's show when he has Mason on tho (which is ironic as I was not a Mason fan when he was our coach).

I remember talking to PA (who is a great guy, taught me to handicap, and is awesome at calling races - but I do not like his show, FTR) at Canterbury Park one time and he said that "half the people love Dan and half the people hate Dan, but everyone listens to Dan." Based on that, your bolded part could be correct. IMO, it is hard to top Barreiro's show when he has Mason on tho (which is ironic as I was not a Mason fan when he was our coach).

Mason and Gerbschmidt (Siefert) are must-listen radio. I'll grant you that.

Dan is typically very superficial on his takes. He pick up on one slat and beats it for into the ground. He also really like to hear himself talk, his tries to answer is own questions when he asks them. He also has a very thin skin and can dish it out, but can’t take it at all. He also tends to be condescending to anyone who disagrees with him. The only thing that draws any listeners to his program is the regular guests.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

How much is Fleck being paid this year, 3.5 million? I'm not happy we fired a guy getting $750k to hire someone and then listen (every week) that they lost because he got outcoached, has to do a better job in preparation, or that it's his fault. This is the Big Ten, if you are the problem, go back to the MAC. If it isn't you, fix it! Stating repeatedly that a loss is your fault is not getting me to keep dropping money to attend games, buy the RTB apparel, and supporting this team. The big paycheck means he is supposed to be able to make adjustments the "lesser paid" coaches can't figure out.
You want a culture change? Then win the games you should, and win a few you weren't supposed to. I'm tired of "being close", moral victories, and excuses. That's the culture from the last 40 years.

FYI. Tonight at about 5:15 Gaard reported on the Gopher injury situation and Dan made some sort of snide comment about Fleck making excuses and said, "That'll end up on Gopherhole."

Gaard also said he though they were leaning toward shutting Winfield down for the year.

How much is Fleck being paid this year, 3.5 million? I'm not happy we fired a guy getting $750k to hire someone and then listen (every week) that they lost because he got outcoached, has to do a better job in preparation, or that it's his fault. This is the Big Ten, if you are the problem, go back to the MAC. If it isn't you, fix it! Stating repeatedly that a loss is your fault is not getting me to keep dropping money to attend games, buy the RTB apparel, and supporting this team. The big paycheck means he is supposed to be able to make adjustments the "lesser paid" coaches can't figure out.
You want a culture change? Then win the games you should, and win a few you weren't supposed to. I'm tired of "being close", moral victories, and excuses. That's the culture from the last 40 years.

Being tired of losing and blaming coaches is the same culture of the last 10-20 years. That's not working real well for us either.

Top Bottom