Mark Coyle on the Sports huddle (bonus coverage) 10-8-17

short ornery norwegian

Reaction score
Gopher AD Mark Coyle appeared on the Sports Huddle with Sid, Dave and Max on Sunday, Oct 8.

Mona: what about shoe scandal?
MC: serious allegations by FBI. I've had conversations with ad's across country, Delaney, B1G staff. we have to protect this great game.

Sid: Progress of facilities - fund-raising?
MC: Athletes village on track to open in 2018. lot of successful fund-raising going on. we raised 16 million in last 2 weeks. (shorty's note - not sure I heard number correctly) we're moving toward goal of 166 million. (Athlete's Village will) impact all 25 sports. huge impact on department.

Max: (shoe deal) feds are involved as opposed to NCAA. how is it different?
MC: when feds involved, they have more investigative power. NCAA is limited in investigative standpoint. feds have broader skills, opportunities. serious allegations. need to take a step back and learn more about allegations.

Sid: ticket sales going crazy for basketball?
MC: thankful students have sold out student section. renewal rate phenomenal for season tickets. year ago had so many questions. real credit to coach, student athletes. team did tremendous job bonding, focusing on what they can control. saw with the Lynx how exciting Williams Arena can be.

Mona: (shoe scandal) internally - meet with staff, look at relationships with Nike. what can you do to stay on top of it?
MC: comes down to people you associate with. need to surround yourself with good people. our compliance staff - phenomenal job. focused on doing thing the right way with great integrity. had conversations with Richard and his staff. confident we do things the right way. doing it right matters in this state. our coaches, staff focused on doing it the right way.

Sid: how much more money you get from TV?
MC: with BTN, MN a legacy member of B1G. strong TV partnership. no doubt has impact on program. pay attention to revenue streams. grown dramatically. with cord-cutting going on, AD's are looking toward future. look at alternative ways to generate revenue. need to be pro-active with fund-raising, ticket sales.

Max: do all B1G schools get the same share of TV money?
MC: Neb gets full cut now. Rutgers, Maryland still not at that level. not sure when they get full share. At MN huge advantage to us - brand recognition with B1G.

Mona: Cord-cutting. Length of current TV contracts?
MC: six years left with our contract. Fox, FS1, ABC, ESPN, CBS with basketball. 6 years with agreement. Commissoner Delaney -gets lot of credit, had foresight to look at BTN. no doubt BTN changed college athletics. big impact by providing a source of revenue to invest in student athletes.

Sid: did you make money on Lynx playing at Williams?
MC: I don't know exact number. thankful had opportunity to work with Lynx. 1st-class organization. excited when they approached us. felt fortunate to have opportunity to work with Lynx. our staff worked hard to put games on. we treated them fairly. wonderful experience. great to have Lindsey Whalen back on court.

Max: keep cash flow going? see time when we'll have big 16, Big 18?
MC: went to Big East meetings when I was at Boise State. A TV reporter asked me about re-alignment. I said I thought it seemed settled. about 20 minutes later, they announced Rutgers, Maryland were joining the B1G. (laughs) I hope people appreciate the B1G. great leadership with Delaney. true leaders can see the future - he and his staff seem to do that. Do I think realignment is possible at some point in the future, Yes.

Mona: Williams arena on national TV? do you see day when Volleyball is played in Williams?
MC: excited about Maturi Pavillion, and the home-court advantage we have with VB program. Williams is a special arena, too.

Sid: concerned about FB situation?
MC: I was here 2001-2005. was close to FB program. I understand fans want to win. I want to win. nobody wants to win more than student-athletes and Coach Fleck. we were in tie game with Maryland- had lead over Purdue. It's a process. Very confident in Coach Fleck. We'll compete - the wins will come.

I just wish Coyle could be more specific. Example: He was ask "did you make money on Lynx playing at Williams?" He could have rounded off some figure. The way he talks we could have lost money.

Thanks for the bonus coverage!!

I just wish Coyle could be more specific. Example: He was ask "did you make money on Lynx playing at Williams?" He could have rounded off some figure. The way he talks we could have lost money.

Thanks for the bonus coverage!!

Yeah, then when he says "We made $20,000" but then someone finds out it was $18,974 and they print articles saying what a liar and number inflator he is.

Yeah, then when he says "We made $20,000" but then someone finds out it was $18,974 and they print articles saying what a liar and number inflator he is.

Or he could have half a brain and just say "we made around $20,000".

All Big Ten teams, besides Maryland and Rutgers got around $35.5 million in '16- '17. That's projected to rise to $44 million this college year.

Instead he said "I don't know the exact number", when of course he does. Is that a big deal here? No. Does it surprise me his first instinct in holding back the truth is a lie? No.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Gopher athletic dep't is awash in $$$. We've got a world class facility coming on board in a few months and we have very good cosching staffs in place for most teams. It now comes down to recruiting and execution. Good time to be a Gopher fan.

Instead he said "I don't know the exact number", when of course he does. Is that a big deal here? No. Does it surprise me his first instinct in holding back the truth is a lie? No.

I'd be surprised if he did. They honestly probably haven't gotten numbers from Aramark yet and there may be some share of TV money/advertising which also probably isn't finalized.

Honestly, I wish he would have said something like "due to their situation, we were happy to help them out. We're not going to lose money, but we didn't look at it as a revenue stream either."

Sid asks weird questions... but Coyle's answers are just as wonky.

I've had conversations with ad's across country, Delaney, B1G staff.

You either know you're doing this **** yourself or you don't. What do you have to call Delaney for?

The Mark Coyle Center for Arboreal Gesticulating does have a nice ring to it

35bDxLp.gif

Agreed. It's a nothing issue.

Top Bottom