The myth that we run inside zone over and over

Some guy

Reaction score
Go rewatch the game.

Jet, power, sweep, inside zone, outside zone, counter

All were run yesterday.

That was yesterday, not the pervious games. Hopefully this playbook continues to open up.

Go rewatch the game.

Jet, power, sweep, inside zone, outside zone, counter

All were run yesterday.

"Why do we keep running inside zone all the time." -GopherHole

4th game

"Oh hey, that's great, we didn't run inside zone all game!" -GopherHole

"See you guys were wrong about the first three games because in the forth game we did something different." - Some guy

They were running multiple types of run plays against Maryland as well.

I saw one play with a pulling center and guard vs Maryland and they never went back to it. I think they ran a fake jet with 23 once. How many other plays are we talking about?

4th game

"See you guys were wrong about the first three games because in the forth game we did something different." - Some guy

Go reread threads from the last two weeks and you'll see about half of the posters here (and the color commentator) seemed to think that any handoff is inside zone.

Not all do. Glad you are one of the smart ones.

I saw one play with a pulling center and guard vs Maryland and they never went back to it. I think they ran a fake jet with 23 once. How many other plays are we talking about?

When they have two backs and a kick out block, that's not inside zone.
When they block stretch, that's not inside zone.

I'd have to rewatch the Maryland game to count plays, which I am not going to do. I'll openly admit I only saw the second half of the Maryland game, so maybe they were all inside zone in the first half. They were definitely not all inside zone in the second half.

Agree some guy, the play calling was much different yesterday. The running game was effective but the passing game was atrocious.

Go reread threads from the last two weeks and you'll see about half of the posters here (and the color commentator) seemed to think that any handoff is inside zone.

What other blocking schemes are you referring to - serious question

I think the real problem that people had with those inside zone plays (and why they got so much airtime) was that Rhoda was completely messing up the reads when we ran them and it was blatantly obvious.

Agree some guy, the play calling was much different yesterday. The running game was effective but the passing game was atrocious.

Don't think it was perfect. Not everyone who is down on the coaching staff thinks we are all inside zone, but anyone complaining about inside zone this week is outing themselves as not knowing what they are talking about.

I think the real problem that people had with those inside zone plays (and why they got so much airtime) was that Rhoda was completely messing up the reads when we ran them and it was blatantly obvious.

Well with Rhoda, I would guess many of the inside zones are not reads.
So if he isn't reading, it is not a misread.

I am sure some of them were zone reads. Pretty sure fleck said they were. And I am sure some were missed reads. Every coach who runs zone read tells their quarterback that if you are unsure on your read it is a give. Rhoda might not be very good at reading. There is a reason that in spite of what I would describe at mediocre quarterback play last year that Rhoda never really got a shot. It isn't just the pass game.

Don't think it was perfect. Not everyone who is down on the coaching staff thinks we are all inside zone, but anyone complaining about inside zone this week is outing themselves as not knowing what they are talking about.

Nobody has been complaining about inside zone this week. That was the prior 4 weeks.

4th game

There are still people here and all over social media that think we just ran the same play up the middle all day yesterday.

Nobody has been complaining about inside zone this week. That was the prior 4 weeks.

You haven't been reading the same comments I have been reading. Or talking to the same people I have been talking to.

Glad you agree with me that we don't run inside zone over and over

You haven't been reading the same comments I have been reading. Or talking to the same people I have been talking to.

You'll have to post some evidence. I've not seen it.

Not concerned about the play calls as the formations or looks

Seems like they run just about every play out of the same 4 sets or formation looks. When your thin on the outside in WR seems like you should adjust your look. The other side is not respecting anything out of 3 receiver sets because we never throw any quick outs or Wide receiver screens like the other side is doing to the Gophers defense. To me you are wasting a spot in your formation when you are going three wide and nobody is honoring or believes you will make them pay with the third receiver on the field.

Yesterday was by far the most diverse MN has been in the running game -- and it showed in terms of production. They ran stretch, both with and without uncovered linemen pulling to playside (it was often successfully cut back by the RB's inside kickout blocks). They ran jet sweep. They ran sprint option. They flashed the TE across the formation to block the backside DE (usually with the line blocking zone). All that said, they still ran a TON of inside zone -- and did so at critical times. And for the most part, it was entirely unsuccessful. Every time opposing LB's see the mesh action they storm downhill and attack our RB. The lack of Rhoda pulling to run and/or being unable to complete intermediate passes the past two weeks continues to kill any chance for inside zone to succeed...almost ever. They honestly need to scrap it, but they won't because they're playing for the future on OL and RB.

Yesterday was by far the most diverse MN has been in the running game -- and it showed in terms of production. They ran stretch, both with and without uncovered linemen pulling to playside (it was often successfully cut back by the RB's inside kickout blocks). They ran jet sweep. They ran sprint option. They flashed the TE across the formation to block the backside DE (usually with the line blocking zone). All that said, they still ran a TON of inside zone -- and did so at critical times. And for the most part, it was entirely unsuccessful. Every time opposing LB's see the mesh action they storm downhill and attack our RB. The lack of Rhoda pulling to run and/or being unable to complete intermediate passes the past two weeks continues to kill any chance for inside zone to succeed...almost ever. They honestly need to scrap it, but they won't because they're playing for the future on OL and RB.

Good post. Hope our RBs can survive the punishment they're taking this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A couple of pitchouts, too, against Purdue. But still too much between the tackles. This team needs Croft and the outside running ability he provides. You'd think a young coach would be more imaginative and daring, and less like Jerry Kill.

A couple of pitchouts, too, against Purdue. But still too much between the tackles. This team needs Croft and the outside running ability he provides. You'd think a young coach would be more imaginative and daring, and less like Jerry Kill.

Yeah, I was specifically talking about the Maryland game. Encouraging signs vs Purdue but still very limited by QB.

Good post. Hope our RBs can survive the punishment they're taking this year.

if your building for three years from now, what difference does it make if your two RBs who will be gone after next year get beat up? While I don't agree with this approach, I think given the rhetoric from the head coach, it's a fair question.

Seems like they run just about every play out of the same 4 sets or formation looks. When your thin on the outside in WR seems like you should adjust your look. The other side is not respecting anything out of 3 receiver sets because we never throw any quick outs or Wide receiver screens like the other side is doing to the Gophers defense. To me you are wasting a spot in your formation when you are going three wide and nobody is honoring or believes you will make them pay with the third receiver on the field.
I'd have to look at specific plays. But a lot of times just the presence of a 3rd WR widens the alley player on that side.

This running attack is new to the backs as well and I feel they miss holes at times. No one thing is to blame. We have two freshmen playing on the OL right now.

if your building for three years from now, what difference does it make if your two RBs who will be gone after next year get beat up? While I don't agree with this approach, I think given the rhetoric from the head coach, it's a fair question.

Just looking at it from a humanitarian view

Actually PJ said himself the Gophers need to do a better job of blocking the inside zone. The inside zone is really an option play but it isn't for us, as the QB doesn't keep it. Calling the play an inside zone is really a misnomer. Sorry PJ.

Top Bottom