Help Us Obi-Pitino Kenobi! You're Our Only Hope!

Twinsfan007

Reaction score
With the way the football program is looking this year and the way the Vikes are heading, the only thing that could bring some joy to the state of Minnesota this winter could be the basketball program. It's your time to shine Pitino! Don't let us down!

With the way the football program is looking this year and the way the Vikes are heading, the only thing that could bring some joy to the state of Minnesota this winter could be the basketball program. It's your time to shine Pitino! Don't let us down!

You forgot about the state's most ignored major franchise: The Timberwolves. Yes, it's been a long playoff drought but no other NBA team did as much as the Wolves in the offseason to improve themselves. They brought in one star veteran and two other solid veterans; not just a long-term youth development project anymore.

Ya but they'll just be fighting for the right to lose to the Warriors in May instead of April. Hard to get excited about the NBA when it's so predictable

Ya but they'll just be fighting for the right to lose to the Warriors in May instead of April. Hard to get excited about the NBA when it's so predictable

Even getting that far would be something that hasn't been in a long time though.

I don't think you realized the irony in that statement. If you really cared that much about winning championships you wouldn't watch Gopher football or basketball either.

I don't expect the Timberwolves to win, or even be in the NBA championship series anytime in the intermediate horizon, but they have a much better chance of doing that than Gopher football or basketball has of reaching the title game.

And the whole point my post went over head, standard for you of course. There is no unpredictability in the NBA, maybe the Celtics will win more than a game vs Cleveland in the East. Which makes the sport as a while a bore. You're theory on the Wolves being closer is false because zero percent is less then one percent

You guys aren’t big sports guys. The lynx just brought home the world title!

And the whole point my post went over head, standard for you of course. There is no unpredictability in the NBA, maybe the Celtics will win more than a game vs Cleveland in the East. Which makes the sport as a while a bore. You're theory on the Wolves being closer is false because zero percent is less then one percent

I got your point. I just thought it was a dumb one. The NBA season is 82 games long and the playoffs go for weeks after that. If a team can win 50 games and a playoff series or two, they've supplied their fans with lots of entertainment. Who cares if they don't win the championship? Obviously you don't care that much about your team winning championships or you wouldn't watch the Gophers.

And I disagree that the Gophers have a better chance of winning, or competing, in a national championship over the next three to five years than the Timberwolves. Do the math.

I got your point. I just thought it was a dumb one. The NBA season is 82 games long and the playoffs go for weeks after that. If a team can win 50 games and a playoff series or two, they've supplied their fans with lots of entertainment. Who cares if they don't win the championship? Obviously you don't care that much about your team winning championships or you wouldn't watch the Gophers.

And I disagree that the Gophers have a better chance of winning, or competing, in a national championship over the next three to five years than the Timberwolves. Do the math.

I agree with you cjbfbp. Not even to mention the fact that the Warriors are an injury or two away from not being able to compete for a championship. Not wishing for it or expecting it, but it's just the way sports go. If the Warriors aren't contending by season's end, the Wolves probably have a realistic shot (albeit a low percentage) if they stay healthy. The great unknown for the Wolves is, how great can Towns and Wiggins be? If they both (ahem... Wiggins) transcend into greatness, the Wolves could be on the same level as the NBA elite. Wait and see I guess.

In terms of Gophers national expectations, it's really hard to say following the Curry injury. Before the injury, I would have put our expectations at sweet 16 and then who knows from there... maybe contend for a final 4 berth? After the injury, I'm feeling more of a... let's see how Fitzgerald and Hurt look before making any guesses.

In terms of Gophers national expectations, it's really hard to say following the Curry injury. Before the injury, I would have put our expectations at sweet 16 and then who knows from there... maybe contend for a final 4 berth? After the injury, I'm feeling more of a... let's see how Fitzgerald and Hurt look before making any guesses.

Spot on.

Fitzgerald and/or Hurt are the true wildcards for this squad. If either one of them becomes a reliable rotation player (see Curry last year), I think Sweet 16 (maybe Elite 8) remains a realistic possibility. Short that, Sweet 16 probably becomes more the ceiling.

Spot on.

Fitzgerald and/or Hurt are the true wildcards for this squad. If either one of them becomes a reliable rotation player (see Curry last year), I think Sweet 16 (maybe Elite 8) remains a realistic possibility. Short that, Sweet 16 probably becomes more the ceiling.

If Reggie could stay out of foul trouble, we would be in better shape. However, I was really expecting big jumps from both EC and JM at the 4, to the point where they could have played together a lot, depending on the match ups.
And Fitz sounds like a finesse, perimeter type player. I think Hurt is going to need to make that big jump.

After that crappy game against a crappy Iowa team, the season can't start soon enough!!

Top Bottom