Thoughts from Row 1 behind the Gopher bench...

fmlizard

Reaction score
Stood in Row 1, 45 yard line behind the Gopher bench today at Purdue. First, I must say that every fan should do it at least once. Yes, the views are better a few rows up but as you may imagine, you get a lot of content you would not see on TV. Some things I saw:

1. Our punt team is called the "Dream Team" (funny name for a punt team) and if in any way first down doesn't go spectacularly, it's time to get the punt team on alert. I get being prepared, but we seemed really cool with punting.

2. Fleck wasn't as all over the place as I expected. He came back to the D bench a couple times to fire guys up but he wasn't this all consuming personality I envisoned. Let the assistants do their thing more than I envisoned.

3. Antoine Winfield Jr seemed really active as a leader and engaged in the game even though he didn't play. I didn't see a limp and would guess he returns soon.

4. Purdue did this really weird conflated moment of silence for both Joe Tiller and the Vegas shootings. At once. It was one of the weirdest and hacked together moments I've even seen in sports. Just give them their own time because they both have nothing to do with each other. Nice tribute to Tiller alone at halftime.

5. This was on TV I'm sure but I've never seen a team honor an opposing team figure like the Gophers did with the Joe Tiller stickers. Nice classy touch.

6. Purdue was a great host. Easy in/out at stadium, simple free parking near Ross Ade, they now serve beer, and people were generally cool. Great seats for $50 a ticket. Would return.

I love Ross-Ade Stadium. Smaller and more of an ‘old fashioned’ feel to it. I’ve gone to various games there for many years. Completely different feel than the Big House, The Shoe. While not Brown County, Northern Indiana in the fall can be beautiful as well. I wish I could’ve been there. Ski U Mah

Stood in Row 1, 45 yard line behind the Gopher bench today at Purdue. First, I must say that every fan should do it at least once. Yes, the views are better a few rows up but as you may imagine, you get a lot of content you would not see on TV. Some things I saw:

1. Our punt team is called the "Dream Team" (funny name for a punt team) and if in any way first down doesn't go spectacularly, it's time to get the punt team on alert. I get being prepared, but we seemed really cool with punting.

2. Fleck wasn't as all over the place as I expected. He came back to the D bench a couple times to fire guys up but he wasn't this all consuming personality I envisoned. Let the assistants do their thing more than I envisoned.

3. Antoine Winfield Jr seemed really active as a leader and engaged in the game even though he didn't play. I didn't see a limp and would guess he returns soon.

4. Purdue did this really weird conflated moment of silence for both Joe Tiller and the Vegas shootings. At once. It was one of the weirdest and hacked together moments I've even seen in sports. Just give them their own time because they both have nothing to do with each other. Nice tribute to Tiller alone at halftime.

5. This was on TV I'm sure but I've never seen a team honor an opposing team figure like the Gophers did with the Joe Tiller stickers. Nice classy touch.

6. Purdue was a great host. Easy in/out at stadium, simple free parking near Ross Ade, they now serve beer, and people were generally cool. Great seats for $50 a ticket. Would return.

It actually wasn't as far as I could tell. Though I didn't watch the halftime coverage so it may have been there and I missed it.

I agree with your assessment of Ross Ade. I have been fortunate enough to have watched games in all the Big Ten stafiums except Rutgers. Purdue would be at the top of my list - other than Gopher stadium.

Top Bottom