What area of the program has improved this year?

What about the situation Croft and McGhee created? Things are still going on. GPA can be credited to Claeys and Kill too.

About the only positives I see going on are the _potential_ recruits that we seem to be in the running for.

We don't know what Croft and McGhee did what we do know is that players will be disciplined immediately even if they are needed for wins. From the outside, it looks like Fleck is taking concrete steps to control his team. I think Kill did an outstanding job turning around this team and credit him for starting the job of getting good grades.

I never understood the hype in June. Good thing is that, per Scout, we are at 35 right now. Last year we ended up at 59.

Check out the average ranking and the number of recruits we have vs. those behind us. We're currently 8th in the Big Ten, and it looks like, depending on how many players teams sign, we could end up 10th.

That suggests marginallly better recruiting not significant improvement. Durkin, on the other hand took a team in the forties to a top 20 ranked class. I guess with all the hyperbole around Fleck, that's what I was expecting.

Check out the average ranking and the number of recruits we have vs. those behind us. We're currently 8th in the Big Ten, and it looks like, depending on how many players teams sign, we could end up 10th.

That suggests marginallly better recruiting not significant improvement. Durkin, on the other hand took a team in the forties to a top 20 ranked class. I guess with all the hyperbole around Fleck, that's what I was expecting.

No doubt, a lot can still change between now and NSD. Durkin went from 41 to 18, but he had some built-in advantages we do not have. Many of the players he recruited that boosted the team rankings were all within 100 miles of campus. We have no such talent pool to draw from. Also, Maryland was further ahead in its facilities upgrade project than we were. It opened sometime in either late July or early August.

No doubt, a lot can still change between now and NSD. Durkin went from 41 to 18, but he had some built-in advantages we do not have. Many of the players he recruited that boosted the team rankings were all within 100 miles of campus. We have no such talent pool to draw from. Also, Maryland was further ahead in its facilities upgrade project than we were. It opened sometime in either late July or early August.

True things can change but excuses are like assholes. Everyone has one. A good recruiter wouldn’t end up 10th in the conference and have filled almost all slots in June with players who are marginally better than where we’ve been before. I’m expecting a “good” recruiter to have a team ranked at least in the top half of the B1G year one. We’ll see where we end up. There is a long way to go.

The number of kids committed and the potential for change does raise a question in my mind given the “culture club” attitude. So question for the board:

If a five star recruit comes in and accepts a scholarship, and PJ pulls a scholly from a kid he pressured to sign before leaving, two days before signing day, and that kid ends up without a scholly or having to go option e or f, is that still doing things the right way?

Obviously you want better talent, but what message does that send about honor, integrity, and the culture?

The problem with taking the situational approach to ethics is that you can justify things for a while but eventually your actions contradict your words. Then what?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

True things can change but excuses are like assholes. Everyone has one. A good recruiter wouldn’t end up 10th in the conference and have filled almost all slots in June with players who are marginally better than where we’ve been before. I’m expecting a “good” recruiter to have a team ranked at least in the top half of the B1G year one. We’ll see where we end up. There is a long way to go.

The number of kids committed and the potential for change does raise a question in my mind given the “culture club” attitude. So question for the board:

If a five star recruit comes in and accepts a scholarship, and PJ pulls a scholly from a kid he pressured to sign before leaving, two days before signing day, and that kid ends up without a scholly or having to go option e or f, is that still doing things the right way?

Obviously you want better talent, but what message does that send about honor, integrity, and the culture?

The problem with taking the situational approach to ethics is that you can justify things for a while but eventually your actions contradict your words. Then what?

My guess is Maryland will be right around 30 when the dust settles. If you look at the past 10 years for them, they've consistently had classes that averaged in the mid 30s. My point is it looks like he's made a bigger leap than it is for Maryland. If Fleck can land this 2018 class in the mid 40s, that will be pretty good IMHO.

What about what I said about the talent pool around Maryland and the facilities? Or is that what you deem "an excuse", as opposed to reality? Do you think next year Fleck will not do better in recruiting with facilities completed? I would bet money that recruiting will improve the next year with those completed, despite the dearth of talent in the area.

As far as your hypothetical situation, you are asking for posters to give you their ethical take on a situation that has not occurred. To what end? Sounds like a separate thread you should start if you want to delve into that quagmire.

Top Bottom