Go From 9 wins to this

jdoif0304

Reaction score
This is the most frustrating offense I've seen since the "Brew Crew". Hey lets run the same play over and over again (inside zone). I can live with Rohda as our QB, but come on man (Kirk whatever) please run something else. Won't make a bowl game this year, and maybe next if the OL can't open holes, and if they run inside zone over and over. Sorry I'm frustrated by lack of offense.

This is the most frustrating offense I've seen since the "Brew Crew". Hey lets run the same play over and over again (inside zone). I can live with Rohda as our QB, but come on man (Kirk whatever) please run something else. Won't make a bowl game this year, and maybe next if the OL can't open holes, and if they run inside zone over and over. Sorry I'm frustrated by lack of offense.

Interesting. Must have missed most of the Kill/Claeys era.

Yes, it's frustrating, we were going to take a step back either way, but this is a _massive_ step back.

However, Fleck has shown an ability to adapt at other levels of the game.
I think all of us can watch our offense and know exactly what's coming so I'm sure that other teams can as well.

Fleck is going to see that on tape and given how he's responded to everything else so far, I'm sure that he'll make an adjustment.

He made an adjustment after our run-blocking scheme killed us last week, I trust him to do it with our playbook as well.

That is the frustrating part for me. We fire Claeys to bring in the latest hot shot coach and it is the same sh!t offense. Why the heck are we paying $3+ million when we had the same offense and a coach for a third of the cost.

But that's right, the cupboard bare since we only won 9 games last year. Purdue, on the other hand, won only 3 games so it only makes sense that they would be stacked in depth this year. Undoer GH thinking, a better team last year should be worse this year and vice versa. Just don't tell Wis how this all works.

Yes, it's frustrating, we were going to take a step back either way, but this is a _massive_ step back.

I think all of us can watch our offense and know exactly what's coming so I'm sure that other teams can as well.

Fleck is going to see that on tape and given how he's responded to everything else so far, I'm sure that he'll make an adjustment.

He made an adjustment after our run-blocking scheme killed us last week, I trust him to do it with our playbook as well.

Me too. It's going to take some time and I'm willing to give it to him.

Some others, mainly trolls and fools, are already calling for his head five games into his first season as coach.

Some others, mainly trolls and fools, are already calling for his head five games into his first season as coach.

I don't think anyone is calling for his head.
I've definitely been a pretty vocal critic so far, but it's mostly in response to people saying that he doesn't have the talent to compete.
He does, he is just facing a massive learning curve.
Brohm was able to step in a deliver a really creative offense/defense because he's been around so damn long, Fleck needs to learn how to do the same thing.
We hired young and this is what we get.
He needs to re-focus and figure out how to win, that could take some time.

But what really kills me right now is that he has no trust in his players. He says the ball is the program, but his players are the program.
He needs to trust them to handle complex playbooks and on-field reads.
He needs to trust our defense in man coverage (even though we got gashed in man late today).

It's not always going to be perfect in practice, if you wait for your team to run plays perfectly in practice then your playbook will never exceed 8 plays.

It is the defense that has regressed the most.

There are a number of reasons for that to be the case...with the coaching change clearly one of them.

Fact is it was the strong D that kept us in games and even set us up to win a few...Nebraska in Lincoln a few years ago comes to mind.

I have no idea whether the current regime can fix that or the other problems. Regardless, the AD is responsible for at least the coaching change.

2013%2F06%2F18%2F7c%2FBeaker.39ba8.gif

I would trade our Defensive coordinator for TC in a heartbeat. We still haven't stopped the perimeter action in 2 weeks. Sad

It is the defense that has regressed the most.

There are a number of reasons for that to be the case...with the coaching change clearly one of them.

Fact is it was the strong D that kept us in games and even set us up to win a few...Nebraska in Lincoln a few years ago comes to mind.

I have no idea whether the current regime can fix that or the other problems. Regardless, the AD is responsible for at least the coaching change.

To be fair to them, the pass rush did look _way_ better today. The front seven generally looked pretty good.
Our corners and safeties looked abysmal, but even they showed some flashes.
Get McGhee back, start focusing on our corners in practice, and stop playing prevent defense all game and I think we could be in a okay spot in 2-3 weeks.

I would trade our Defensive coordinator for TC in a heartbeat. We still haven't stopped the perimeter action in 2 weeks. Sad

Those are really individual talent plays though, no?
They obviously need to work on getting off blocks in practice, but that is a hard thing to do.
Claeys even struggled with the screen early last year, do you not remember the meltdown thread after we got absolutely ripped by Oregon State on screen passes?

I don't think anyone is calling for his head.
I've definitely been a pretty vocal critic so far, but it's mostly in response to people saying that he doesn't have the talent to compete.
He does, he is just facing a massive learning curve.
Brohm was able to step in a deliver a really creative offense/defense because he's been around so damn long, Fleck needs to learn how to do the same thing.
We hired young and this is what we get.
He needs to re-focus and figure out how to win, that could take some time.

But what really kills me right now is that he has no trust in his players. He says the ball is the program, but his players are the program.
He needs to trust them to handle complex playbooks and on-field reads.
He needs to trust our defense in man coverage (even though we got gashed in man late today).

It's not always going to be perfect in practice, if you wait for your team to run plays perfectly in practice then your playbook will never exceed 8 plays.

At least nobody rational.

He made an adjustment and LOST. Pollyanna.

He made an adjustment and LOST. Pollyanna.

I'm aware, but he made the adjustment.
That's what matters.
Now he needs to make another one, and as he keeps learning, we'll keep getting better.

This is why I didn't want Claeys to go after the Michigan game, because I knew he wasn't going to **** around with clock management anymore.

Same with Fleck, he's showing signs of adaptation, it's just a matter of time before it starts to pay off.

I'm sure we could find similar threads during Pitinos first year. This may take a few years. We don't have a capable qb on the roster. Our secondary is decimated by expulsions and injuries. Our DE's are undersized. WR's are young and get very little separation.

Look for the bright spots and enjoy moments of development this year. Wins will be few and far between.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I'm sure we could find similar threads during Pitinos first year. This may take a few years. We don't have a capable qb on the roster. Our secondary is decimated by expulsions and injuries. Our DE's are undersized. WR's are young and get very little separation.

Look for the bright spots and enjoy moments of development this year. Wins will be few and far between.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

This is fair.
What's frustrating to me though is that Claeys saw this coming and had started planning for it (recruiting a good dual-threat QB).
Also if we had kept him our line would be so much better because we wouldn't have lost two starters.
Fleck is just kinda letting us get hit in the face by it, kept Rhoda, but couldn't keep our o-linemen.

Like, I agree that we're in a ****ty spot, but Fleck is doing absolutely nothing to make it better (random suspensions, ****ty play design, ****ing around with our special teams) etc.

Not calling for his head because I don’t want program to take a significant step back. Want him to be successful. However, I’ve thought he’s full of BS and insincere since early in his tenure here, and now he doesn’t seem to be a great coach with all his year zero crap. Why would you want to play for him when you constantly hear him talking about year zero, needing to bring in talent, etc. I know a few players who are already questioning him. So I’m not hopeful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is fair.
What's frustrating to me though is that Claeys saw this coming and had started planning for it (recruiting a good dual-threat QB).
Also if we had kept him our line would be so much better because we wouldn't have lost two starters.
Fleck is just kinda letting us get hit in the face by it, kept Rhoda, but couldn't keep our o-linemen.

Like, I agree that we're in a ****ty spot, but Fleck is doing absolutely nothing to make it better (random suspensions, ****ty play design, ****ing around with our special teams) etc.

We wouldn’t have lost 2 starters? How? Again you’re thinking Green, who couldn’t win a high school starting job, would be better.

We wouldn’t have lost 2 starters? How? Again you’re thinking Green, who couldn’t win a high school starting job, would be better.

You realize we're starting a guy that literally no division 1 program wanted right?
Green is big and fast. He fit well with Johnson's offense, yes he would have been better in that system.

We lost two o-line starters to transfer after Claeys was fired unless I'm mis-remembering their reason for transfer.

This is fair.

Didn't those two OL transfers quit football altogether?

Didn't those two OL transfers quit football altogether?

If I remember correctly, they tried to transfer to Big 12 schools before quitting, I assume that had something to do with losing Claeys or Johnson.

It's like we look every bit the part of an elite program - except for the football part.

And don't give me the BS about not having talent - this is Minnesota (good history and has won many B1G 10 games). We're not Illinois or Rutgers.

I didn't know the two O-Lineman transferred because of Claeys being fired and solely because of Claeys being fired..

This is a new story that was untold by both players who left at the time.

That is the frustrating part for me. We fire Claeys to bring in the latest hot shot coach and it is the same sh!t offense. Why the heck are we paying $3+ million when we had the same offense and a coach for a third of the cost.

But that's right, the cupboard bare since we only won 9 games last year. Purdue, on the other hand, won only 3 games so it only makes sense that they would be stacked in depth this year. Undoer GH thinking, a better team last year should be worse this year and vice versa. Just don't tell Wis how this all works.

The offense will change more once we have the players for what Fleck wants to run. Right now we don't have a good QB but have two good RBs. We have talent at WR but they're mostly young.

I don't know why it's so hard to believe a team can have big depth issues even after a 9 win season. Players getting kicked off the team and transferring after the coaching change didn't help.

The offense will change more once we have the players for what Fleck wants to run. Right now we don't have a good QB but have two good RBs. We have talent at WR but they're mostly young.

I don't know why it's so hard to believe a team can have big depth issues even after a 9 win season. Players getting kicked off the team and transferring after the coaching change didn't help.

We should still be better than we have been so far.

This is fair.

Just because we don't know the reason for the suspensions doesn't make them random.

Top Bottom