[POST GAME THREAD] - Purdue defeats Minnesota 31-17

Michigan State, Illinois, Nebraska, NW are all winnable for sure. Always possible to pick off one of the others. As I said, 6 wins would be a pleasant surprise now, but not the end of the world.

Right, which is all I'm saying. This was never going to be a nine or 10 win team like some thought.

Six wins would be an accomplishment with this team. Fleck knows it and is planning for the future.

Sorry, I was specifically talking about going for a TD instead of a field goal with 2.5 minutes left. Either way it would have run more time off the clock and if we didn't get it I believe Purdue would have had worse field position than they had after our kickoff. Then again hindsight is 50/50. I just thought we finally got away from the playing not to lose mentality.

On that last interception by Rhoda, I didn't see any receivers get open, which is kind of important. The tight end running straight to the post was being interfered with and that could have been an option if Rhoda saw it and trusted the ref would call it...but he threw to the black jersey instead...

Nope

Are you in danger of self harm?

Enjoying Michigan and Michigan State game. Frustrated it's year one after Mitch and the Qb play is 10 times worse. If Small schools can recruit quarterbacks not sure why a Big 10 program cannot recruit one. This season was never going to be a bowl eligible one.

Wow, Purdue and Maryland have both gotten a lot more athletic since last year. I mean look at what Maryland did against Ohio State today. PJ has no chance...here's looking at you Illinois. ..we're waiting for you.

Have Purdue and Maryland actually gotten a lot more athletic on offense? Or are our current D Backs a lot LESS athletic (or inexperienced) now? I think the latter.

Michigan State, Illinois, Nebraska, NW are all winnable for sure. Always possible to pick off one of the others. As I said, 6 wins would be a pleasant surprise now, but not the end of the world.

You're thinking of past teams. Not a chance this team will beat MSU, NW or Neb. Are you actually watching the games?

I agree he is looking ahead. My question is who will be quarterbacking this team next year. We keep trotting Rhoda out there and sucking yet we are not giving any other Qb any experience so that they could potentially be a decent contributor next year. If Morgan is the best Qb and Fleck doesn't want to burn his redshirt, he'll start next year with zero experience. We can only hope that he is good enough to handle that and do well. Why not start getting him experience now?

I think he wants to give Morgan a full year of working with the offense in a controlled setting. That way, he can fully prepare for a full season starting in 2018. Ray Estes is also around, although I'm not sure where Fleck plans on using him. Either that, or maybe the kid from Ohio, assuming he can shape up off the field.

At least we're changing the culture...
That's the really important thing, cuz things were detrimental under the Kill Era..

I wanted to start a thread called "PJ Diary" . Where we could record what PJ would record after each game. Here's what I think he would write after the Purdue game.

1. I need to fire my defensive coordinator. Easy to see why Arkanas got rid of him. Even the Ark. fans warned us. No containment on the perimeters. Didn't play the bubble screens. Doesn't have our defensive tackles involved enough in the game.
2. I have to work with my QB so that he isn't back peddling on every pass attempt. Our QB coach didn't get this accomplished in the last 5 months. I might have to change QB 'S this week. Find one that could be a threat to keep the ball.
3. I was fore warned about Big Ten officials. But didn't believe it until today. First play of the game they are 2 steps into backfield - no offisides. Without question Thomas was targeted after receiving the pass. Our cornerback was held on the first Purdue td which allowed the ball carrier to score.
Anyone have anything to add?

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I don't blame Fleck for this at all - I would do the same in his position. It gives him ready made excuses for the dumpster fire this season will be. Blame it on lack of talent on the current team. Next year, you blame it on the talent being young and only 1 recruiting class. By year 3 - which should be huge for recruiting given he will just have put up a pair of dreadful season with likely no bowls ( truly, which top player wouldn't want to sign up to play for a dumpster fire with a coach on the hot seat?), the tune will switch to 'just can recruit at Minnesota'. After the 4th year, some of the seat sniffers will have moved onto Brewster 3.0 and some other mythical 'culture guy' that can finally make us into a winner. 60 years of rinse and repeat.

Gophers look worse on both offense and defense than last year, with the toughest B10 teams looming ahead (Illinois excepted). QB situation is dire, too many injuries, and a seemingly institutional inability to open things up on offense.

I read the majority of the in game thread, all the posts on this thread. I'm convinced that we have many people very familiar with the health of the team that apparently Fleck doesn't know about. While I too wish for a W instead of a L. Purdue is a good team and will be curious to see how they do in the future.

We have to recognize the fact that we have higher expectations than what the team is capable of doing. Its the way it is and no other way around it. Be thankful that we made a coaching change last year and I believe Fleck will lead us in the future. He isn't a Brewster and he has proven that.

Can Winfield medical redshirt?

I'm not sure but I thought the rule was playing in <30% of games so Winfield could not (if I'm right- which is questionable)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I read the majority of the in game thread, all the posts on this thread. I'm convinced that we have many people very familiar with the health of the team that apparently Fleck doesn't know about. While I too wish for a W instead of a L. Purdue is a good team and will be curious to see how they do in the future.

We have to recognize the fact that we have higher expectations than what the team is capable of doing. Its the way it is and no other way around it. Be thankful that we made a coaching change last year and I believe Fleck will lead us in the future. He isn't a Brewster and he has proven that.
It's ok to have high expectations for a 9-4 team that beat the current #11 team in a bowl game.

Sent from my Commodore 64 using Tapatalk

You're thinking of past teams. Not a chance this team will beat MSU, NW or Neb. Are you actually watching the games?

Exactly. Illinois is our only decent chance. We are going to get steamrolled this season on several occasions.

Don't be saying "fire Fleck" when no one is saying that. I love how people bring up red herrings whenever someone criticizes the coach. Open you eyes and see the emperor has not clothes. We have been outcoached. Simple as that. .

Yup. I didn't see the game last week, so I was skeptical of the "outcoached" talk. But it was blatantly obvious today. Purdue put their guys in positions where they could succeed. Quick passes to guys in space. Screens. Shovel passes. As per usual, they loaded up the box with 7 or 8 guys to stop inside zone. We had success with stretch (popping OL to the outside) and jet sweep, but Purdue knew we'd inevitably go back to inside zone at critical times and we did...unsuccessfully. They played press coverage on the outside and made Rhoda throw intermediate routes...which he did...off his back foot...while backpedaling.

Both factions on this board are right: There IS a huge lack of talent (it's glaring at QB, OL, and DB...sort of at WR) AND our staff has been badly outcoached multiple times now. So you're all right. Congrats.

The boat needs a motor, a high octane one. Oars are not cutting it

Purdue needed to score an they went down the field looking like a well coached football team. Receivers actually running crossing routes, semi pick plays and getting open. We needed to score and all we threw were 4 yard passes,1 lucky deflection catch. and seemed like we were trying to run out the clock.

Right, he took over a program that had been getting more established each year, a program that won 9 last year and beat Wazoo in a bowl game, and you give him a hall pass?

We have an issue at CB that isn't going to solve itself. That reality is compounded by a DC that couldn't find his ass with both hands. The boat appears to be rudderless at this point, but I think that is all a part of "the plan".

Fact of the matter is we have a coaching staff that was successful because they could out-recruit their competition. That isn't going to happen in the Big10. Hoping to see some semblance of a clue from the coaching staff in the next few weeks, but I doubt we will. This game was really disappointing given a) the lack of talent Purdue has b) the fact that we scored 3 points in the 2nd half c) that instead of keeping the damn ball and getting a first down on the 3rd down play before the field goal, Rhoda ran the RUTM play (I'm not even going to pretend running is an option anymore) which would have given us a first down (maybe more) which would have run more time off the clock, which would have kept the defense off the field, which would have....could have....should have.........but I'm sure in 4 years we'll be playing in the national title game......or is it 5 now and d) we laid a complete egg against Maryland and the response was another game in which we were completely out-coached. I'll say this for Brohm- apparently he didn't read GWG's posts and instead of assuming he couldn't win because of the gap in talent Purdue has, he actually coached his team to win the damn game. I'm sure since he's making decisions to win today, that means he'll flame out shortly, because apparently you can't do both - coach for today and for tomorrow.

Mason had Elliot Uzelac as OC in his first year, and was smart enough to fire him. Brewster had Everett Withers who curled up into a ball and refused to coach the "D" in his first year and was gone. At this point, the only thing I'm looking forward to is what changes the coaches can make to at least make an effort to win this year, and if nothing changes, what changes Fleck will make in year two.

It's about HYPPR; F.A.M.I.L.Y; Embrace your past to Create your future. It's about changing your best. It's about everyone rowing in the same direction.

My retort to this is, "why should we watch?"

I'm curious to see how long PJ will persist with the 'wins and losses don't matter' mantra, because I think that will have a very short shelf life ! Lol

Rhoda is doing his best, but is clearly not a Big 10 QB. Get Croft or Green or even Morgan in there and see what they have. If they had even a Leidner-level threat of a passing game (and running QB) I think the last 2 weeks would have likely been (ugly) wins instead of losses. I can't believe I'm saying that, but I believe it.

It's way too early, and unfair to label PJ as Brewster 2.0, but that's how this is going to be regarded until there are some tangible results on the field.

The broadcast was bizarre - basic camera seemed to be on the moon, players looking like ants. Yet over on ESPN, CBS and other stations, much closer look at play line-up, play launched, with lots of cuts and other angles in close-up between plays. The News channel kept shorting out, they missed a kickoff, etc., announcers stuck with narratives they opened the game with (on Rhoda, for instance). A Halloween game.

I always thought since Tyler Johnson, Philip Howard, and Drew Hmielewski were all in the same recruiting class, at least 1 should have went to the defense

If any of the remaining teams struggle in the passing game our Gophies have a decent chance. Otherwise, no way.

Should of used one of the timeouts on the second to last drive and told Rhoda to keep the ball no matter what he saw.

He won at a MAC school against MAC competition.....No one knows if he can be successful at a perennial average power 5 school....so no he has proven nothing so far.

Top Bottom