[POST GAME THREAD] - Purdue defeats Minnesota 31-17

Good to know most of y'all think you know enough about the state of the program to make a definitive call on PJ Fleck's ceiling at Minnesota after only 5 games.

People don't seem to realize that Claeys left this program in a pretty terrible position for the long-term, and it got even worse after the suspensions last December. Fleck has been here all of nine months and hasn't signed his first recruiting class yet, so any Brewster comparison or labels like "bottom feeder" are premature and downright short-sighted.

To answer one of the complaints I'm seeing here-
We aren't throwing the ball because we can't. Tanner Morgan may very well be the best QB on our roster, and it's in our best interest not to pull his redshirt. We are not going to be competitive against teams like Purdue (who might I add is much improved and should go to a bowl game this year) with Rhoda throwing 30 times a game, let alone actually win.

But that can change, with guys like Armstrong, Morgan, and Bachmeier coming down the pipe. Minnesota could become a pass-first team within the next three years.

Give it some time. Claeys left the cupboard completely bare on the defensive line, and the O-Line isn't in a much better place. We can fix that by adding depth in 2018, and bringing in top-rated talent for 2019.

Or just rev up the FIUR FLECK train as the losses pile up this year, if you want to send the message to prospective coaches and the college football world that we're the type of program who fires their coach before he even brings in his own players.

Seriously, relax.

Rhoda fumble, conservative play calling during the 2nd quarter lost the game. 21-6 and likely win. Winfield, McGhee, and Croft would make a big big difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The broadcast was bizarre - basic camera seemed to be on the moon, players looking like ants. Yet over on ESPN, CBS and other stations, much closer look at play line-up, play launched, with lots of cuts and other angles in close-up between plays. The News channel kept shorting out, they missed a kickoff, etc., announcers stuck with narratives they opened the game with (on Rhoda, for instance). A Halloween game.

The play clock was also glitched the entire game

Rhoda fumble, conservative play calling during the 2nd quarter. Lost the game. 21-6 and likely win. Winfield, McGhee, and Croft would make a big big difference.

Croft would not make a huge difference. There's a reason he didn't look much better than Rhoda when they both played against Buffalo and Oregon State.

Good to know most of y'all think you know enough about the state of the program to make a definitive call on PJ Fleck's ceiling at Minnesota after only 5 games.

People don't seem to realize that Claeys left this program in a pretty terrible position for the long-term, and it got even worse after the suspensions last December. Fleck has been here all of nine months and hasn't signed his first recruiting class yet, so any Brewster comparison or labels like "bottom feeder" are premature and downright short-sighted.

We aren't throwing the ball because we can't. Tanner Morgan may very well be the best QB on our roster, and it's in our best interest not to pull his redshirt. We are not going to be competitive against teams like Purdue (who might I add is much improved and should go to a bowl game this year) with Rhoda throwing 30 times a game, let alone actually win.

But that can change, with guys like Armstrong, Morgan, and Bachmeier coming down the pipe. Minnesota could become a pass-first team within the next three years.

Give it some time. Claeys left the cupboard completely bare on the defensive line, and the O-Line isn't in a much better place. We can fix that by adding depth in 2018, and bringing in top-rated talent for 2019.

Or just rev up the FIUR FLECK train as the losses pile up this year, if you want to send the message to prospective coaches and the college football world that we're the type of program who fires their coach before he even brings in his own players.

Seriously, relax.

Great post. I agree in its entirety.

Has a couple of them actually. As indicated earlier by others we have a weak depth, line not as good as we like, and the Quarterback can't run as we would like. Really believe if we had a quarterback that could run it would open things up a bit for us.

I wondered how long it would take fans to start bashing a Minnesota HSer. Gophers gave up 31 points. How many games do you expect to score more than 31?

Not if he's given up on the year

Which is the mistake. He thinks the force of his personality can overcome #results. Maybe he's right, but my opinion is he's shooting himself in the foot and shortchanging the players.

Seriously, relax.

Good post. Thanks.

Let's face it that we've been relying on a sometimes elite defense...but more often than not a very good defense...for Ws in the last regime(s).

For whatever reasons that era is over. We'll never know whether Sawvell would have still been able to work his magic with what's available this year. Thanks to the AD for that.

There are problems that only recruiting and time can even possibly fix if Coach can pull it off. This includes the greater coaching braintrust.

The team would definitely benefit from an above-average or even great QB. Of course what team wouldn't...but especially the Gophers.

No

And neither is Brooks. Or Johnson. Or Croft. Or Winfield....and on and on....

Again, this year is all about the future. Does it suck? Honestly, yeah. Big-time.

But it is what it is. Have to be patient, there really isn't any other choice.

However, some need to blow off steam as well. And I completely understand that as well.

Not if he's given up on the year

He hasn't given up on the year, not by any stretch of the imagination. He's just not willing to sacrifice long term potential to win at all costs right now, especially when we objectively don't have the talent or depth to compete with Big Ten opponents.

Gophers look worse on both offense and defense than last year, with the toughest B10 teams looming ahead (Illinois excepted). QB situation is dire, too many injuries, and a seemingly institutional inability to open things up on offense.

Special teams also are regressing.

I dropped $60 a seat for the Maryland debacle. Today I see another sh!t show.
Fleck & Coyle are going to have to pay me to show up for any more games this season.
The piss poor coaching being done in all areas is really disappointing.

Give it some time. Claeys left the cupboard completely bare on the defensive line, and the O-Line isn't in a much better place. We can fix that by adding depth in 2018, and bringing in top-rated talent for 2019. Seriously, relax.

Why on earth would top-talent come here in 2019? This year will be a dumpster fire. Next year probably won't be that much different - but even if we manage a bowl - why would the ability to recruit top-talent change from this year? I would argue it does down significantly as the Bewster 2.0 sales pitch on recruits will be less effective when the on-field products sucked for the prior 2 season.

But, let's say we get a huge 2019 class - when do they actually contribute or are you saying they will all be starting as true freshmen? How long do you expect we need to wait before the recruiting advantage is felt and makes us a contender?

He hasn't given up on the year, not by any stretch of the imagination. He's just not willing to sacrifice long term potential to win at all costs right now, especially when we objectively don't have the talent or depth to compete with Big Ten opponents.

If you believe in your recruiting ability, you don't sacrifice wins this year worrying about 2021.

I think they said it on the broadcast early.
We're going to get younger before we get older.
Translated: We're going to lose a lot more before we start winning.

I think Fleck is looking at this roster of players and must be thinking, my God, did they leave me nothing?

Purdue was not a good football team. Playing linebackers at end and 3rd string Safty's on defense makes calling a,defense tough. Wr screen and cssing pick routes had the the defense atumped. Q.B ba edaling and throwing off back foot a bad habit that needs yo stop. Now I think we know why they were gonna move on from Rhoda. Just doesn't have the arm strength. Lack of depth us not an excuse or crutch, it's gonna make things less competitive. More younger guys need to play. Defense has to learn to tackle in space and use the boundary. Year 1 after coaching changes tend to trend poorly.

pj's rhetoric convinced me that they would be as good as last year, obviously he is doing things on the field with personnel that is not suited for said positions...plus injuries, hopefully practices this year will help future players excel at their positions...but having said that, we should beat the likes of MD and Purdont...fricken heh...sad, pj set expectations high though even for this season. With that season tickets are still down, fanbase is down, attendance down and if they end up in the cellar, next year will be even worse, pj will have to climb out of a much deeper hole than what he started in.

Why on earth would top-talent come here in 2019? This year will be a dumpster fire. Next year probably won't be that much different - but even if we manage a bowl - why would the ability to recruit top-talent change from this year? I would argue it does down significantly as the Bewster 2.0 sales pitch on recruits will be less effective when the on-field products sucked for the prior 2 season.

But, let's say we get a huge 2019 class - when do they actually contribute or are you saying they will all be starting as true freshmen? How long do you expect we need to wait before the recruiting advantage is felt and makes us a contender?

I believe the roll in recruiting is to paint the picture that by coming here they will help contribute to something.

I think Carroll would contribute as a true freshman, and Bachmeier would have a shot at the starting job, depending on what we see from Morgan/Croft. I'm not saying we'll bring in a "huge" class, but there is an excellent chance that the 2019 class will be better than any class Kill or Claeys ever brought in. More importantly, though, that was more of a call to give it some time than it was a definitive statement.

The constant Brewster comparisons is so lazy. They're not even close to the same.

Also, if you're sick of rebuilding, wouldn't you want to at least give a coach a fair chance?

Sentence two shows no objectivity on sentence one. They can be exactly the same, and PJ may not deserve a chance. So far, it's low in results and high on self esteem. I've seen this movie before, and the ending is you hire a 1AA coach to take you to a second rate New Years bowl and praise it as high water mark of the program. And that will be six years from now. Elite!

As I said in the game thread, PJ had the #1 recruiting class in the MAC right after going 1-11 in his first year as a head coach.

Top Bottom