[POST GAME THREAD] - Purdue defeats Minnesota 31-17

I'm really bummed about the state of this team. We are bad. Our players aren't as good as I thought and our coaches aren't as good as I hoped.

What I was right about is that this culture crap is just that. PJ is a windbag. Time to stop the nonsense babble, slogans, geese decoys, etc. and figure out how to help your team beat inferior teams that you beat +2 in TOs.

Finally, for those convinced DC11 can't be better as he didn't beat out CR15, I'm not so sure. PJ was basically saying all along that DC wasn't the leader he wanted. We have also been told that his suspension didn't come from a single event, but rather an ongoing issue. Putting 2 and 2 together and it is possible DC11 wasn't given the job as PJ was sending the team a message (if you don't do the right things.....). At least that is what I want to believe as otherwise I need to accept this train wreck of a season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm sure WMU fans said the same thing after Flecks 1st year. Turned out alright. I'll agree on Croft though, he can't be worse.

This is about what I expected. Fleck was honest that he is not an X's & O's guy. Take that, lower level talent (against the Big 10), and lack of a coherent staff (at least Kill had that), and this is the predictable result. The only thing that would surprise me is if Fleck is actually able to recruit top talent (without off the field issues) to come here despite it being an obvious dumpster fire.

The staff hasn't even been together a full season and yet its not coherent and an obvious dumpster. Pretty sure you had nothing to say when they were 3-0.

I'm sure WMU fans said the same thing after Flecks 1st year. Turned out alright. I'll agree on Croft though, he can't be worse.

Fair enough, but PJ was able to recruit the most talented MAC roster before he won. He will never have the most talented B1G roster - so signs that he may not be able to "coach them up" and "out-scheme" should be far more alarming here than at WMU.

Sweet. As much entertainment this board provides every week you have no part in it. Your not as clever as you think you are.
LOL, Your brilliant! Have another Jagermeister while you're at it!

Fair enough, but PJ was able to recruit the most talented MAC roster before he won. He will never have the most talented B1G roster - so signs that he may not be able to "coach them up" and "out-scheme" should be far more alarming here than at WMU.

He did, but then again he had 5 players drafted into the NFL the last 2 years and none of them were highly rated recruits.

So i interpret this as spoofin is officially off the boat

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

So you're wrong. Got it.

Prove me wrong! I've been a Gopher fan since 1976. I don't trust you. Coyle hired PJ because he is a talker.... PJ's made an absolute disaster of a reasonable situation ( that's even with the players expelled). Don't think that PJ has handled this well. Where do I even start to try to talk about his BS with good players....

Prove me wrong! I've been a Gopher fan since 1976. I don't trust you. Coyle hired PJ because he is a talker.... PJ's made an absolute disaster of a reasonable situation ( that's even with the players expelled). Don't think that PJ has handled this well. Where do I even start to try to talk about his BS with good players....

I don't care how long you've been a fan, you said Coyle fired Claeys for being fat, which is ridiculous and stupid and never happened.

So i interpret this as spoofin is officially off the boat

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Not really - but I am disappointed in everything about this team tonight - including (but not limited to) the coaching.

As I said in the game thread, PJ had the #1 recruiting class in the MAC right after going 1-11 in his first year as a head coach.

He may well have the #1 recruiting class in the MAC next year, too.

Was really looking forward to bringing the family back next weekend for the MSU game hoping it would be a competitive enjoyable game. Well- at least the tailgating should be enjoyable.

We need Winfield healthy, McGhee back, Connelly back, maybe Weyler and Howard, and it will be competitive. Is that too much to ask?

I don't care how long you've been a fan, you said Coyle fired Claeys for being fat, which is ridiculous and stupid and never happened.[

Guaranteed his looks had something to do with it. Who are you trying to kid? Very few people on this board, or in the state of Minnesota, would disagree....

Is it right? It's not politically correct, but I could see how a young, fit coach could attract recruits. But you have to win. Otherwise, it's all bullsh!t.

I don't care how long you've been a fan, you said Coyle fired Claeys for being fat, which is ridiculous and stupid and never happened.

As I recall, and it didn't take any reading between the lines, Coyle did say that it is important to have someone that looks like a Big Ten Coach to represent Minnesota, or something along those lines. I remember my jaw dropping when I heard Coyle make the comment.

PJ needs to quit worrying about the team uniforms each week.
PJ needs to quit worrying about which custom made shoes he is going to wear each week.
PJ needs to quit worrying about leading the team on the field each week
PJ needs to quit worrying about all his catch phrases and the RTB crap
PJ might want to spend more time coaching each week

Just got done watching the game. I wish I could have my 2 hours and 45 minutes back. We look like ****. Going to be a LONG season. With the Twins done and the Vikings looking about as bad or worse than we are, this could be one long winter. Hopefully Pitino and Co. can bring some joy because we aren't gonna get it from the football program that's for sure.

As I said in the game thread at halftime, I was disappointed in the decision to punt from the Purdue 37 with a 4th and 4 and about 50 seconds remaining in the half. Purdue was going to get the ball to open the second half AND have the favorable wind conditions. PJ decides to go conservative here and takes a delay and then punts. To only come out of that half up 14-6 after all the turnovers was an ominous sign.

I was equally dismayed with the decisions leading up to the Carpenter FG to take the lead late. The Gophers had 3rd and 4 at the 21 with about 3:20 and they run the clock down and RUTM to set up a FG. Purdue calls their first timeout after the failed 3rd down conversion at 2:31 left. Worst case scenario now for Purdue is that the Gophers make the FG and they are down 2 with 2:31 and 2 timeouts. The clock is basically not a factor in college football at the point when you just need a FG. On the other hand, if Carpenter were to miss that FG, the Gophers had just one timeout remaining and Purdue could have drained most of the clock. I really don't understand how you don't aggressively go for the first down in this scenario if you are Coach Fleck/The Gophers. One more first down totally changes that game regardless of whether you eventually end up with 3 or 7.

It will be overlooked, but once again Special Teams was very shaky for the Gophers with a couple of terrible punts and then the killer of Santoso slipping on the kickoff after the late Carpenter FG.

I read the majority of the in game thread, all the posts on this thread. I'm convinced that we have many people very familiar with the health of the team that apparently Fleck doesn't know about. While I too wish for a W instead of a L. Purdue is a good team and will be curious to see how they do in the future.

We have to recognize the fact that we have higher expectations than what the team is capable of doing. Its the way it is and no other way around it. Be thankful that we made a coaching change last year and I believe Fleck will lead us in the future. He isn't a Brewster and he has proven that.

Ditto

PJ needs to quit worrying about the team uniforms each week.
PJ needs to quit worrying about which custom made shoes he is going to wear each week.
PJ needs to quit worrying about leading the team on the field each week
PJ needs to quit worrying about all his catch phrases and the RTB crap
PJ might want to spend more time coaching each week

What did you think you were getting when you hired him?

I kind of don't get it.

If you read the prediction thread, a lot of Gopherhole's own fans picked Purdue to win.
In this thread people are posting as if they are shocked by it.

So are people really this surprised that a team lead by a first year starting QB who is a Senior, who was never a big name recruit, or who never displayed the skills to start prior to this year, is having problems getting this team to score?

A lot can be pointed to on specific play calls. "I think he should have gone on 4th down", etc. He did go on 4th early in the game at their own 37 or so. Not many have posted in this thread they felt that was a good decision that went against conventional wisdom.

Much of this thread, and several others, seem to be more of finally the realization that this team is not going to win 8 or 9 games, and that a large reason why is because the coach is implementing his program instead of being Jerry Kill v3.

What did you think you were getting when you hired him?

Evidently coaching and doing those things are mutually exclusive in his mind.
If PJ worries less about his shoes, he has more time to tell his QB to be better.

In fact, if he just worked on coaching Conor Rhoda instead of doing all the PJ-stuff, Rhoda could be up for the Heisman probably. /sarcasm

Good to see Coughlin have a good game. One of the positives from today. Hope to see him back at linebacker next season with the other two sophomores.

Martin and Barber had great games as well.

Lingen and Rhoda had two nice connections.

Tyler Johnson’s footwork on his short touchdown was good.

Where was Eric Carter today?

Taking a step back in year one of a coach is not surprising nor alarming. He took over a 4-8 Western Michigan team and went 1-11 his first year. How’d that turn out? James Franklin was 14-12 his first two years at PSU. It takes time people you all need to calm down. These knee jerk over reactions I’m reading are comical.

The team is 3-2 in the new coaches first season. The roster was not stocked full of upper class men and talent. Attendance was trending downward with Claeys and Coyle brought in a big time hire to turn things around. Give it some time man.

I kind of don't get it.

If you read the prediction thread, a lot of Gopherhole's own fans picked Purdue to win.
In this thread people are posting as if they are shocked by it.

So are people really this surprised that a team lead by a first year starting QB who is a Senior, who was never a big name recruit, or who never displayed the skills to start prior to this year, is having problems getting this team to score?

A lot can be pointed to on specific play calls. "I think he should have gone on 4th down", etc. He did go on 4th early in the game at their own 37 or so. Not many have posted in this thread they felt that was a good decision that went against conventional wisdom.

Much of this thread, and several others, seem to be more of finally the realization that this team is not going to win 8 or 9 games, and that a large reason why is because the coach is implementing his program instead of being Jerry Kill v3.

I think people who predicted a Purdue win might have had a different opinion if you told them the Gophers would be +3 in the turnover battle for 59 minutes of the game.
Especially since the Gophers have a coach who spent the last week telling people they lost to Maryland because they lost the turnover battle and it's extremely difficult to win if you don't win the turnover battle.

Top Bottom