[POST GAME THREAD] - Purdue defeats Minnesota 31-17

Boom! Nailed it.

Yes, of course. But the question never discussed here is WHY we cannot recruit top talent. Ask yourself, if you were a top HSer, what would you consider when deciding on a program? If you were blue chip, you'd have a big ego. Would you want to be noticed in your college market?

Richardson has been really big for us this year so I object to that.

Cashman is not being used right. He doesn't fit our defense anymore.

Richardson-debatable. Where is any semblance of a pass rush? What is our defense? If they are putting players in position to succeed, what are they doing with Cashman? His athleticism and play making ability is now not a fit here? All I can tell is our tackling is sloppy and a certain toughness is replaced by soft play

Richardson-debatable. Where is any semblance of a pass rush? What is our defense? If they are putting players in position to succeed, what are they doing with Cashman? His athleticism and play making ability is now not a fit here? All I can tell is our tackling is sloppy and a certain toughness is replaced by soft play

Alright well we disagree on Richardson, not worth arguing.

Cashman is being used as a defacto DE instead of an OLB, he's not big enough to play the way we try to play him.

They did make some progress on that this week, I would expect to see further improvement next week.

This is about what I expected. Fleck was honest that he is not an X's & O's guy. Take that, lower level talent (against the Big 10), and lack of a coherent staff (at least Kill had that), and this is the predictable result. The only thing that would surprise me is if Fleck is actually able to recruit top talent (without off the field issues) to come here despite it being an obvious dumpster fire.

I'm not sure it matters if PJ is an Xs and Os provided he can get who he wants and he brought his guys.... Kill didn't call plays play to play either.

I'm not sure it matters if PJ is an Xs and Os provided he can get who he wants and he brought his guys.... Kill didn't call plays play to play either.

Kill had experience as a OC though, Fleck probably could have benefited from that, but too late now.

They kept him around because they really didn't have a choice. There's no depth and Seth Green was suspended for a year at that time.

Doesn’t mean you have to start him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep. Just watched Stet beat Michigan. What do you say PJ?
\

His talent played cohesively, smart, and tough. 0/3 on that so far this year.

Yes, of course. But the question never discussed here is WHY we cannot recruit top talent. Ask yourself, if you were a top HSer, what would you consider when deciding on a program? If you were blue chip, you'd have a big ego. Would you want to be noticed in your college market?

I would say that some recruits would dismiss MN out of hand because of the stereotypical perceptions: weather, not a traditional power, never wins, etc.

If Fleck - or any other coach - is going to get top-flight talent to MN, they will have to be a certain type of kid - talking personality, not talent. Some kids may consider MN if they think they can be a big fish in a small pond - stand out more here than at a more talent-rich school. Other kids might like the metropolitan nature of the school - not stuck at some smaller city out in the boondocks. There may be some kids who relish the challenge of helping turn around a program.

The big think Fleck has to sell now is opportunity. If you're a blue-chip player, you can come into MN and start from Day 1 - no waiting in line behind a bunch of other 4* and 5* players.

But, in my opinion, MN has some factors working against it. In general, I believe that highly competitive athletes want to play for a winner. They want the exposure you get from national TV games - not an 11:00am kickoff on the BTN - I'm talking marquee prime-time top-20 slugfest.

It's the old chicken-and-the-egg deal. To establish a winning program, you need to recruit better players. But, in order to recruit better players, you need to be a winning program. Which comes first?

Look at the offensive troubles Michigan has had this year, especially under the guidance of noted offensive genius Jim Harbaugh. They haven't moved the ball consistently in any of their 5 games and basically have built their record on the strength of their defense. So, if Michigan's offense can struggle under Harbaugh in year 3 with several years of great recruiting classes, I'm willing to give Fleck more than 5 games and one recruiting class to figure things out.

The only hope I have is that Mark Coyle gets fired. He is a disaster.

Look at the offensive troubles Michigan has had this year, especially under the guidance of noted offensive genius Jim Harbaugh. They haven't moved the ball consistently in any of their 5 games and basically have built their record on the strength of their defense. So, if Michigan's offense can struggle under Harbaugh in year 3 with several years of great recruiting classes, I'm willing to give Fleck more than 5 games and one recruiting class to figure things out.

Michigan's lack of experience was pretty well predicted.

I'm curious to see how long PJ will persist with the 'wins and losses don't matter' mantra, because I think that will have a very short shelf life ! Lol

Rhoda is doing his best, but is clearly not a Big 10 QB. Get Croft or Green or even Morgan in there and see what they have. If they had even a Leidner-level threat of a passing game (and running QB) I think the last 2 weeks would have likely been (ugly) wins instead of losses. I can't believe I'm saying that, but I believe it.

It's way too early, and unfair to label PJ as Brewster 2.0, but that's how this is going to be regarded until there are some tangible results on the field.

Perhaps Tracy knew more than a lot of folks here?

Which is the mistake. He thinks the force of his personality can overcome #results. Maybe he's right, but my opinion is he's shooting himself in the foot and shortchanging the players.

Yup.

And shortchanging the fans.

Mark Coyle's whole claim was that he thought Tracy Claey's was too fat, and not able to convince high school football players to play Big !0 football for Minnesota. Evaluation and game planning and coaching individual players had nothing to do with it. Now what is the excuse?

Mark Coyle's whole claim was that he thought Tracy Claey's was too fat, and not able to convince high school football players to play Big !0 football for Minnesota. Evaluation and game planning and coaching individual players had nothing to do with it. Now what is the excuse?

I'd like to see that quote from Coyle

Was unable to watch game and my recording wasn't set long enough with the storm delay, so I didn't watch whatever part I had.

The defense forced 4 TO's in the first half, yet people on here are saying the defense was bad today, why is that?
Seems the offense lost the game in the first half if they were given 4 more chances to put points on the board.

I'm really bummed about the state of this team. We are bad. Our players aren't as good as I thought and our coaches aren't as good as I hoped.

What I was right about is that this culture crap is just that. PJ is a windbag. Time to stop the nonsense babble, slogans, geese decoys, etc. and figure out how to help your team beat inferior teams that you beat +2 in TOs.

Finally, for those convinced DC11 can't be better as he didn't beat out CR15, I'm not so sure. PJ was basically saying all along that DC wasn't the leader he wanted. We have also been told that his suspension didn't come from a single event, but rather an ongoing issue. Putting 2 and 2 together and it is possible DC11 wasn't given the job as PJ was sending the team a message (if you don't do the right things.....). At least that is what I want to believe as otherwise I need to accept this train wreck of a season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1yr ago UMN was 3-2. R.E.L.A.X.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I dropped $60 a seat for the Maryland debacle. Today I see another sh!t show.
Fleck & Coyle are going to have to pay me to show up for any more games this season.
The piss poor coaching being done in all areas is really disappointing.

Oh well - don't show up.

Top Bottom