[POST GAME THREAD] - Purdue defeats Minnesota 31-17

I felt like I was watching a Jerry Kill coached team. Playing not to lose. They were happy just to get the last field goal when they should have been playing to get a touchdown. Throw the damn ball down the field.

Who's going to throw it (without an interception)? Who's going to catch it? Who's gonna bock for the throw? Ish.

You can tell Fleck is content with sucking this year when he put in Durr and Schuelter instead of Estes and Andries.

Pretty much. He's already said he's burned more redshirts than he wanted to. Hard to imagine he would want to burn any more with a team that was never going anywhere to begin with. At this point, he's planning for the future and waiting for guys like Rhoda to use up their eligibility.

Wins matter when you are getting paid over $3 million a year. There is no excuse for these last two losses other than PJ is is being out-coached. I hope he improves, but there is clearly a failure for PJ and his coaches to evaluate the talent and put people in places where they can help the team. It is fine that they fired Claeys, but to put these losses on a lack of talent, as many here want to do, is ignoring the fact that this was a 9 win team last year and purdue won only 3 GAMES and yet they beat us today?

Fleck is getting out-coached! There is no question we had more talent than Purdue today, we were just outcoached. PJ better get this sh!t figure out fast or the heat is going to get on him. We can't have another Brewster dumpster fire.

No Big 10 Qb means no big 10 wins. Music man can spew his culture deal all he wants, winning matters Purdue was terrible.Smith and Brooks should declare for draft after this season. This team with Rhoda at Qb cannot win Big 10 games. Now the Gophers are bottom feeders again.

Are you in danger of self harm?

No Big 10 Qb means no big 10 wins. Music man can spew his culture deal all he wants, winning matters Purdue was terrible.Smith and Brooks should declare for draft after this season. This team with Rhoda at Qb cannot win Big 10 games. Now the Gophers are bottom feeders again.

Smith and Brooks would go undrafted IMO.

What's your suggestion at this juncture?

At this point - we are stuck with the guy so it does not matter. Here are some facts that we need to be real honest about in our next coaching search:

1.) We are not going to out-recruit anyone so we will never attract talent better that 12 of the teams of the Big Ten (due to weather, team perception, path to the NFL, in state talent).

2.) No coach wins consistently just by willing his team to win - you need something tangible like better recruits or a unique system

My suggestion, and it was the same before the hire, is that we need to bring in a guy with a system based using middling talent in a unique way. You see this with Mike Leach and his run and gun style and you saw it with Mason in his ZBS run game. Would either of these systems win us a national title? Probably not - but the reality is that even a Big 10 title is probably a pipe dream given the disparity between the have and the have nots along with PSU regaining dominance. So, we need to stop hiring based on some intangible 'culture' or recruiting to win - we need to hire coaches that are X's & O's experts.

Massive over-reaction. This team isn't going to be in the B1G championship. But they have as much or more talent than Rutgers, Illinois, Purdue, Maryland, NW, etc. There are still plenty of winnable games if they get healthy and play one of the QBs who have a chance.

Dude, we just lost to the worst two teams in MD and Purdue. Who are we going to beat? Wis is going to steam roll us as it currently stands. I don't even know if I will have the stomach to watch the Wis. slaughter.

Tyler Johnson, Eric Carter, Rashad Still, Lingen, Wozniak. Who cares it would either give us the same result we Have now or it would give us a win.

Who's going to throw it (without an interception)? Who's going to catch it? Who's gonna bock for the throw? Ish.

What's your suggestion at this juncture?

Fire a coach 5 games into his tenure. Pay his $10 million buy out. Done. Hire Les Miles for another $10 million It's not hard. This is Minnesota! We have expectations! Win now or get out! :cool:

Both have zero clue how to execute an offensive or defense...pretty close

So he didn't have success at Western Michigan? I guess Corey Davis became a 1st round pick in spite of he coaches? I'm not saying he hasn't made mistakes or anything but to act like they're the same coach is so ridiculous.

Massive over-reaction. This team isn't going to be in the B1G championship. But they have as much or more talent than Rutgers, Illinois, Purdue, Maryland, NW, etc. There are still plenty of winnable games if they get healthy and play one of the QBs who have a chance.

Um, okay? Already lost to Purdue and Maryland. Illinois is a winnable game. Northwestern on the right day? Possibly, but I'm not counting on it. Michigan? No. Iowa? No. Wisconsin? No. Maybe Nebraska, although that might be a stretch. Don't play Rutgers, so the point is moot.

Bottom line, this team is going nowhere, which shouldn't be surprising. If they get to six wins, they should be ecstatic.

This year is all about the future and establishing how he wants to do things, Fleck has said so repeatedly. If you want to bang your head against a wall in regards to this year, be my guest.

But honestly, this team is going nowhere, which isn't at all unexpected. As Fleck has said, this is a process and it's just starting.

That was pretty obvious week 1, I don't understand the sudden loathing, with Croft on the bench they were going to struggle to get a B1G win this year, that is what rebuilding is all about, lets hope there is improvement.

Dude, we just lost to the worst two teams in MD and Purdue. Who are we going to beat? Wis is going to steam roll us as it currently stands. I don't even know if I will have the stomach to watch the Wis. slaughter.

Purdue and Maryland are the two worst teams? Have you seen Rutgers? Or Illinois? Purdue and Maryland are on the same tier we are. They will win 6-8 games. These are ugly losses. But this 'we're the worst team in the B1G' 'we won't win another game' 'fire Fleck' stuff is just ridiculous.

Tyler Johnson, Eric Carter, Rashad Still, Lingen, Wozniak. Who cares it would either give us the same result we Have now or it would give us a win.

On that last interception by Rhoda, I didn't see any receivers get open, which is kind of important. The tight end running straight to the post was being interfered with and that could have been an option if Rhoda saw it and trusted the ref would call it...but he threw to the black jersey instead...

Wow, Purdue and Maryland have both gotten a lot more athletic since last year. I mean look at what Maryland did against Ohio State today. PJ has no chance...here's looking at you Illinois. ..we're waiting for you.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Um, okay? Already lost to Purdue and Maryland. Illinois is a winnable game. Northwestern on the right day? Possibly, but I'm not counting on it. Michigan? No. Iowa? No. Wisconsin? No. Maybe Nebraska, although that might be a stretch. Don't play Rutgers, so the point is moot.

Bottom line, this team is going nowhere. If they get to six wins, they should be ecstatic.

This year is all about the future and establishing how he wants to do things, Fleck has said so repeatedly. If you want to bang your head in regards to this year, be my guest.

But honestly, this team is going nowhere. I have no idea where

Michigan State, Illinois, Nebraska, NW are all winnable for sure. Always possible to pick off one of the others. As I said, 6 wins would be a pleasant surprise now, but not the end of the world.

Didn't see the game. Was covering a high school game today. Thought I was taping the game on my DVR, but with the weather delay and the channel shift, I probably recorded 90 minutes of nothing instead of the end of the game.

I did hear a little bit of the end of the 1st half and most of the 2nd half on the radio broadcast, but frankly, it's hard to tell how well the Gophers are playing from the Gopher Homer Radio Network. Grimm is decent on play-by-play, but Darrell T adds no real insight to the broadcast. Darn near any Gopher Hole regular could do a better job - and that is not a joke.

But, from what I heard, it sounds like the Rhoda fumble on the 1st-and-goal situation was the key play of the game. Gophs score on that possession, they could have gone up 17-6 or 21-6. that's a whole different ball game.

So he didn't have success at Western Michigan? I guess Corey Davis became a 1st round pick in spite of he coaches? I'm not saying he hasn't made mistakes or anything but to act like they're the same coach is so ridiculous.

Obviously they are not the same but if Fleck has no interest in changing his philosophy and setting up a game plan that makes his CURRENT players successful then why as fans should we believe all his bull****.

At this point - we are stuck with the guy so it does not matter. Here are some facts that we need to be real honest about in our next coaching search:

1.) We are not going to out-recruit anyone so we will never attract talent better that 12 of the teams of the Big Ten (due to weather, team perception, path to the NFL, in state talent).

2.) No coach wins consistently just by willing his team to win - you need something tangible like better recruits or a unique system

My suggestion, and it was the same before the hire, is that we need to bring in a guy with a system based using middling talent in a unique way. You see this with Mike Leach and his run and gun style and you saw it with Mason in his ZBS run game. Would either of these systems win us a national title? Probably not - but the reality is that even a Big 10 title is probably a pipe dream given the disparity between the have and the have nots along with PSU regaining dominance. So, we need to stop hiring based on some intangible 'culture' or recruiting to win - we need to hire coaches that are X's & O's experts.

I agree with this. I'd rather have a great football mind than a Tony Robbins wannabe.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Purdue and Maryland are the two worst teams? Have you seen Rutgers? Or Illinois? Purdue and Maryland are on the same tier we are. They will win 6-8 games. These are ugly losses. But this 'we're the worst team in the B1G' 'we won't win another game' 'fire Fleck' stuff is just ridiculous.

Don't be saying "fire Fleck" when no one is saying that. I love how people bring up red herrings whenever someone criticizes the coach. Open you eyes and see the emperor has not clothes. We have been outcoached. Simple as that. When I see this team coached to win games I will state that as well. But right now this team looks lost, unmotivated and almost has an inferiority complex.

As far as Rutgers, who cares how bad they are? We don't play them. Illinois maybe the only team we have a legitimate chance of beating. Outside of Illinois, our two best chances for a win were MD and Purdue. We lost these to games, so we are on the outside looking in when it comes to a possible bowl bid.

Pretty much. He's already said he's burned more redshirts than he wanted to. Hard to imagine he would want to burn any more with a team that was never going anywhere to begin with. At this point, he's planning for the future and waiting for guys like Rhoda to use up their eligibility.
I agree he is looking ahead. My question is who will be quarterbacking this team next year. We keep trotting Rhoda out there and sucking yet we are not giving any other Qb any experience so that they could potentially be a decent contributor next year. If Morgan is the best Qb and Fleck doesn't want to burn his redshirt, he'll start next year with zero experience. We can only hope that he is good enough to handle that and do well. Why not start getting him experience now?

Are you saying Brewster made Decker into an NFL man?

Top Bottom