[POST GAME THREAD] - Purdue defeats Minnesota 31-17

I think we have a real chance against MSU next week given that they're going to be coming in off an extremely emotional game against Michigan.
Fleck doesn't really have anything to lose at this point so hopefully he lets his coordinators have some fun from here on out :)

He won at W. Mich. because he out recruited the competition. Not sure this will happen in the Big Ten. He brags his OC as one of the best in the nation. Yet we watched a QB who continued to throw off his back foot, always falling away from the throw. Instead of stepping into the throw. Thought maybe this would get cleared up in 90 minute delay. Average QB needs above average coaching. Not sure we will see this from our present OC. Granted he had success at W. Mich. but did he have a QB better than the competition. Unfortunately I think the OC and PJ are tied at the hip.

The constant Brewster comparisons is so lazy. They're not even close to the same.

Also, if you're sick of rebuilding, wouldn't you want to at least give a coach a fair chance?

This guy shouldn’t have to rebuild. He’s succeeded in making them worse, while Brohm has made Purdue better

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know I am well hated on this board for being repetitive about this, but there is a reason the QB's we have on the roster this year didn't start last year.

He won at W. Mich. because he out recruited the competition. Not sure this will happen in the Big Ten. He brags his OC as one of the best in the nation. Yet we watched a QB who continued to throw off his back foot, always falling away from the throw. Instead of stepping into the throw. Thought maybe this would get cleared up in 90 minute delay. Average QB needs above average coaching. Not sure we will see this from our present OC. Granted he had success at W. Mich. but did he have a QB better than the competition. Unfortunately I think the OC and PJ are tied at the hip.

Which is unfortunate because our OC is awful.
_I_ know what we're going to do as soon as I see our formations, that's not good.

I know I am well hated on this board for being repetitive about this, but there is a reason the QB's we have on the roster this year didn't start last year.

And the Claeys coaching staff knew Rhoda sucked, which is why they did not give him a scholarship. This coaching staff has yet to figure it out. That is a problem.

Look, unless we get better on offense, none of this matters. Our O line is awful. That's where it needs start. End of discussion.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Wins matter when you are getting paid over $3 million a year. There is no excuse for these last two losses other than PJ is is being out-coached. I hope he improves, but there is clearly a failure for PJ and his coaches to evaluate the talent and put people in places where they can help the team. It is fine that they fired Claeys, but to put these losses on a lack of talent, as many here want to do, is ignoring the fact that this was a 9 win team last year and purdue won only 3 GAMES and yet they beat us today?

Fleck is getting out-coached! There is no question we had more talent than Purdue today, we were just outcoached. PJ better get this sh!t figure out fast or the heat is going to get on him. We can't have another Brewster dumpster fire.

And you absolutely no nothing about football .

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/5MiB9-7uNvQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Post game

There's a big difference between doing what's best for the long term interests of our program, and outright "sacrificing wins". I hope you know that.

We're completely devastated in the secondary and OL. To refuse to pull redshirts off guys that can help us is potentially sacrificing wins. I understand the refusal in Morgan's case. But at other positions, sacrificing wins in 2017 for the sake of 2021 is foolish, IMO. With transfers, etc. there's probably less than a 50% chance the given player will be here in 2021 whether Fleck is or not.

And the Claeys coaching staff knew Rhoda sucked, which is why they did not give him a scholarship. This coaching staff has yet to figure it out. That is a problem.

Who do you suggest should be the QB?

I don't understand this.
How do you believe now that they would only win 4, but three weeks ago you could be thinking somehow this team would be deserving of nine wins.

It's the same team. You've just seen more of the same team play.

My rebuttal is that the team is the same as it was 4-5 weeks ago, and what changed the most is your perception.

So I guess you're arguing there's no underachieving or over achieving, teams are what they are, and we should just adjust our perceptions accordingly.
I would love this as a coach...I'm sorry Mr. A.D. ...I know you paid me a lot of money, the previous coach won nine games and despite our really soft schedule we're 3-2 overall and 1-2 against 3 teams that are probably in the bottom half of the power 5. But the results speak for themselves, we are what we are. No reason to expect anything more.

Funny Claeys was not afforded those excuses. How did he ever win the bowl game with 10 guys out?
What excuse? I am having deja vu from my student years.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Very young defense last year and played together like a team. This year, all phases, sloppy and inexcusable.

Different scheme different players younger players different everything but other than that.

Very young defense last year and played together like a team. This year, all phases, sloppy and inexcusable.

I don't think there can be much debate that we took a big downgrade at DC.

Few of those DBs from last year were on the field today.

I don't think there can be much debate that we took a big downgrade at DC.

I think it's too early to tell this. We don't have the players that Robb Smith needs to run his defense.
That doesn't mean that he's worse than Johnson (even though I do vastly prefer Johnson).

I think it's too early to tell this. We don't have the players that Robb Smith needs to run his defense.
That doesn't mean that he's worse than Johnson (even though I do vastly prefer Johnson).

Talking about Sawvel. I think he was an excellent DC and almost anyone would have been a downgrade. If things hadn't ended the way they did, I'd have hoped Fleck would keep him.

Talking about Sawvel. I think he was an excellent DC and almost anyone would have been a downgrade. If things hadn't ended the way they did, I'd have hoped Fleck would keep him.

Yup sorry, both named Jay :) my mistake

They kept him around because they really didn't have a choice. There's no depth and Seth Green was suspended for a year at that time.

So I guess you're arguing there's no underachieving or over achieving, teams are what they are, and we should just adjust our perceptions accordingly.
I would love this as a coach...I'm sorry Mr. A.D. ...I know you paid me a lot of money, the previous coach won nine games and despite our really soft schedule we're 3-2 overall and 1-2 against 3 teams that are probably in the bottom half of the power 5. But the results speak for themselves, we are what we are. No reason to expect anything more.

I think you are trying to put words in my mouth.

I think teams can under-achieve, but it seems like the sole metric people are using who are making the under-achieving argument is that the team last year won nine games.
Some of those best players from that team last year are no on the roster this year. So how do you in making these comparisons account for that?

This week Jerry was talking about Rutgers not being able to execute the basics, thus dumbing down the game plan. This year, we cannot execute the basics and we are not in the same zip code as Rutgers in terms of talent. Fleck speaks of putting players in position to succeed. Results point to coaching staff failing to utilize the talent on the roster.

They kept him around because they really didn't have a choice. There's no depth and Seth Green was suspended for a year at that time.

I think they were hoping and hoping that Croft would be goon enough to win the job straight out, and for whatever reasons, he didn't.

I think you are trying to put words in my mouth.

I think teams can under-achieve, but it seems like the sole metric people are using who are making the under-achieving argument is that the team last year won nine games.
Some of those best players from that team last year are no on the roster this year. So how do you in making these comparisons account for that?

A good number of those players are on the roster and are not nearly a impactful as last year (see Cashman, Richardson, etc).

A good number of those players are on the roster and are not nearly a impactful as last year (see Cashman, Richardson, etc).

Richardson has been really big for us this year so I object to that.

Cashman is not being used right. He doesn't fit our defense anymore.

Top Bottom