P.J. Fleck explains why he doesn't want to be like everyone else

Johnnyboy18

Reaction score
We had a great teaching moment in our first few months here. A picture from a party popped up on Twitter with four or five of our players in it. One was holding an alcohol bottle, and the others had alcohol all around them. Our players put it out collectively and didn’t find anything wrong with it. We had a team meeting over that particular picture. I’m sure a lot of our players were grumbling, “We’re having a team meeting for this?”
In the meeting, I asked them if I put up a picture of my wife Heather and I posing with alcohol and asked them, “What would happen to me if this got tweeted out?” One player mentioned I may get fired. One said it would be another black eye for the program. Some said it would make me look fake. Everyone agreed it wouldn’t validate what we do, or the culture we’re establishing here. The lesson was simple: You have a choice in the decisions you make. You don’t have a choice in the consequences that come your way. Let’s make the smart choice in our decisions. I won’t sacrifice doing the right thing for wins. I will hold players accountable

https://sports.yahoo.com/p-j-fleck-explains-doesnt-want-like-everyone-else-180323677.html

PJ, you can have a beer with Heather. It's not the end of the world.

Sent from my Commodore 64 using Tapatalk

PJ knows he's not coaching the Bethel Royals, right?

Seriously, PJ thinks folks would give a rats a*s if he posted a picture having a beer with his wife? Seriously?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does PJ think all other coaches (i.e. everyone else) approve of players posting pictures of themselves drinking alcohol?

His need to be different/innovative/unique/elite is annoying and, IMO, a character flaw. You don't have to be different to be a good coach.

Does PJ think all other coaches (i.e. everyone else) approve of players posting pictures of themselves drinking alcohol?
He wasn't using that story as an example of why he's not like everyone else.

Wow. That was really unique, totally separates PJ from the crowd.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

So why can't the head coach drink? Were these players under 21? Either I give two shots about it. If you are 18 you are an adult and should be legal to drink anyways.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Well now we know one of Fleck's undisclosed dream jobs that was on his list that we would leave Western Michigan for was BYU.

With all due respect, Fleck just is not as "unique" as he claims to be.

He wants his players to be good citizens, get good grades and stay out of trouble. So does every other coach in the world.

Fleck dresses it up differently, and presents it differently, but his culture is really not that much different than other programs - from D1 to D3.

The thing is, Fleck is not an "X's and O's" coach. he's a recruiter and motivator. So he needs to recruit and motivate.

Top Bottom