David Alston commits to Nebraska

go4boy

Reaction score
David Alston of the Woodbury Royals committed to Nebraska today per his twitter account. My son says he is a super nice kid at school. I do see him as a stand up LB vs a DE at the next level.

Can't believe you couldn't take a kid like this and turn him into a player who can really help the Gophers. Think we made a mistake on this one. Only time will tell.

Congratulations to David Alston. I always worry about him and JD Spielman coming back to hound us.

I wished the Gophers offered. But, PJ's hands are tied. They can't take every Minnesota kid. They have a lot of quality depth issues that need addressing.

Congratulations to David Alston. I always worry about him and JD Spielman coming back to hound us.

I wished the Gophers offered. But, PJ's hands are tied. They can't take every Minnesota kid. They have a lot of quality depth issues that need addressing.

Or they didn't want him. Since I'm not the coach, I have no knowledge of the why's and what's. No one does.

We will most likely never know why the staff did not offer. He is RATED higher than any of our current commits at DE. He did camp with Minnesota, so he was evaluated by the staff and they passed on him. Hope he has a nice career at Nebraska, just not against our Gophers.

You have to believe that the coaches have a system, and they have a blueprint for what they want at each position.

I have no problem with this. I wish him well at Nebraska. The last thing any college coaching staff should be doing is chasing stars, even if local. It's all about finding players that fit the system that you are running.

This one reminds me a little of JD Spielman.

We offered Spielman really late (after Nebraska, Michigan and Iowa). Everyone I knew that ever saw Spielman play was impressed. It was a position of need.

Like, I've never heard anyone say "I didn't think David Alston looked that good". It's always been something like "well, you gotta trust the coach". Generally, I agree with that approach. But the similarities kind of stick out to me.

This one reminds me a little of JD Spielman.

We offered Spielman really late (after Nebraska, Michigan and Iowa). Everyone I knew that ever saw Spielman play was impressed. It was a position of need.

Like, I've never heard anyone say "I didn't think David Alston looked that good". It's always been something like "well, you gotta trust the coach". Generally, I agree with that approach. But the similarities kind of stick out to me.

I've seen a couple posts on GH with posters thinking he didn't look as good as thought and in one case that he wasn't close to being the best player on the field. Whether these pov are valid or not- who knows ??!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've seen a couple posts on GH with posters thinking he didn't look as good as thought and in one case that he wasn't close to being the best player on the field. Whether these pov are valid or not- who knows ??!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, I shouldn't have said that. I meant that I had never heard that from people I know that watch a lot of HS football (coaches, etc.). Yeah, I've heard that on here too.

There is also a chance Alston told the U he wasn't interested in coming here early on in the recruiting process. Fleck is a unique personality, and I'm guessing there will be some percentage of kids that don't jive with his style. Hopefully it's a small percentage.

Top Bottom