StarTrib: Mittelstadt is Big Addition but Gophers Want Widespred Improvement

Ignatius L Hoops

Reaction score
http://www.startribune.com/casey-mi...ophers-want-widespread-improvement/449677893/

Coach Don Lucia pointed to Mittelstadt’s quickness, hand speed and vision, saying, “He’s got things you don’t teach.”

For all the preseason Mittelstadt hype, however, he’s just one part of the conversation on how good this Gophers team will be.

Will the Gophers reach their first Frozen Four since 2014? Minnesota hasn’t won an NCAA tournament game since that year’s championship loss to Union.

“It’s the older guys that I think are going to make the most difference,” Lucia said. “Whether it’s [Brent Gates Jr.] taking a step from his sophomore to his junior year, Tommy Novak coming back from injury or Tyler Sheehy having another good year.”

Novak tore an ACL in January, defenseman Ryan Lindgren broke an ankle in March, and Sheehy played through a back injury that required offseason surgery. All three are back at full speed, most notably Sheehy, a returning first-team All-America pick who notched a team-high 53 points last season.

Improvement eh?

Haha, what a joke. All one needs to do is what tonight's "effort" against UMD to see what a load of crap that is.

I've said this before and I'll say it again, the term "Pride on Ice" needs to be permanently retired until Lucia is fired.

There is no pride in this program. They coast, they float, they always get out-hustled and other quality teams (like the instate schools) ALWAYS want it more than Lucia's bunch. There is simply no excuse for not being ready to play an instate rival in the season opener. Especially when they've kicked your ass all over the ice for the past eight or nine games. Yet, that's exactly what they were yet again tonight.

Improvement? Yeah, right, whatever you say Donny. Such words are just as hollow as you've made Gopher hockey.

Top Bottom