Rick Pitino received 98% of Adidas money

Crazy:

In 2015-16, for example, $1.5 million went to Pitino under his personal services agreement with the apparel company while just $25,000 went to the program, according to a contract obtained by the Courier-Journal under the state public records act.

The year before, Pitino also got $1.5 million, while the department banked just $10,000.

Under the existing and new contracts, any money that Adidas pays to University of Louisville coaches under personal service agreements is deducted from what the company gives to the athletic program.

Was it fair for Jurich to say the Adidas money was for student-athletes?

Kenny Klein, the department's spokesman, said it was.

“Players come here in part because of Coach Pitino. Coaching is part of what we give to student-athletes,” Klein said last month before a bribery scandal prompted the suspensions of Jurich and Pitino.

Go Gophers!!

Pitino didn't know nothing about anything though. He will be exonerated and vindicated. Total witchunt. Fake news. Sad!

It's a contract the school approved. How or why does this put Pitino in a bad light? Envy and jealousy is all I see here?

Holy sh!t! I guess you're buying the Whiskey then Rick. I never knew you could pull something like that off. Good job buddy!

Adidas should be subpoenaed for information on all contracts with all college coaches and their colleges. I would imagine their would be a few red flags to drive to next school/coach investigated.

Just an FYI this is a very misleading title and especially misleading first paragraph of the report, especially given peoples predisposition to taking the title at face value and only reading a couple lines of copy.

Rick was making 98% of the old contract, no one knows how much of the new contract yet. The new contract is for the $70+ million the only one netted him $1.x million/year. The article links to comments made by x-AD about the money going to the University when asked about the NEW contract.

The article also doesn't disclose whether or not the older shoe deals were like this in other university's which I would imagine is the case.

Pretty clickbaity title and pretty misleading flow of information.

^^^^This.

I always enjoy reading SS's comments but this one is very misleading. When people see or hear 'Addidas money' they think of the 100K paid to the player.

I too wish the title would be changed.

My bad on the headline. It is misleading. My mistake.

Point was, 98% of the Adidas money contracted to Louisville (not to Bowen's family) was paid to Pitino, under the guise of Jurich saying, "It's for the athletic department. It's for the student-athletes."

Nothing illegal about that (I don't think), but certainly very eyebrow-raising when considering how little of the money went to the basketball and/or overall athletic programs.

As if Louisville wasn't paying him enough.........

My bad on the headline. It is misleading. My mistake.

Point was, 98% of the Adidas money contracted to Louisville (not to Bowen's family) was paid to Pitino, under the guise of Jurich saying, "It's for the athletic department. It's for the student-athletes."

Nothing illegal about that (I don't think), but certainly very eyebrow-raising when considering how little of the money went to the basketball and/or overall athletic programs.
You didn’t write the headline or the article, so no need to apologize. But even your example above is misleading.

The quoted comment is when Jurich was asked about the NEW 10 year deal with 70mil paid to the university basketball team. The 98% is for the OLD deal which was for much less and Pitino received 1.x million /year for services and the university got like 20k and shoes(don’t quote me on specifics).

It’s a terribly misleading piece.

Basically a microcosm of college athletics or general economic trends. Guy at the top takes it all, everyone else gets just enough to keep them showing up.

Top Bottom