If you don't think the Twins would let go of Paul Molitor, just remember Tubby Smith

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Rand Ball:

If you think the decision to bring Molitor back is a no-brainer that Falvey and Levine will make automatically after the success of 2017, you haven’t been paying attention this year. And you certainly weren’t paying attention to a similar situation in 2013, when Tubby Smith was the Gophers men’s basketball coach.

Now, I said “similar” and not identical. Smith still had time remaining on his contract, a $2.5 buyout and he had built up a longer history coaching the Gophers — with mixed results going into 2012-13 — than Molitor has with the Twins.

But here’s what you had: Norwood Teague was hired as the new Gophers AD in April 2012, right after the end of a Gophers men’s basketball season. Minnesota finished as the NIT runner-up in 2012 after being relegated to the second-tier tournament by a six-game Big Ten losing streak near the end of the season. It was a much better year than the 59-103 Twins of 2016, but it was flawed.

In any event, Teague came in with what seems in retrospect to have been a predetermined notion: Smith was not the coach he wanted leading his men’s basketball program. But he kept him in place and repeated quotes like this one throughout the 2012-13 season: “I evaluate coaches at the end of the year. I don’t during the year publicly.”

Smith’s Gophers had another up-and-down season but sneaked into the NCAA tourney as a No. 11 seed. From there, they defeated UCLA — the first on-court NCAA tourney win since the Final Four year of 1997 — before losing to Florida.

Plenty of people thought Smith had done enough to keep his job. Teague, if he went into the season determined to get rid of Smith, now faced a decision.

Teague must not have agonized about it for long. The morning after the loss to Florida, Smith was fired.

Again, some differences between Smith and Molitor: The Gophers were likely heading into a rebuilding year regardless of their coach, meaning Smith had likely plateaued. Molitor’s Twins are on the rise. And one has to imagine the local sporting public would react more harshly to the Twins ditching Molitor than the masses did when Tubby was fired.

In the end, though, there’s this to say about the Gophers and Smith: A new regime came in, evaluated a coach for a year who to that point had experienced mixed success, watched him have his best year in Minnesota … and then quickly moved on.

http://www.startribune.com/if-you-d...-molitor-just-remember-tubby-smith/449630123/

Go Gophers!!

Not even close to the same situation. Molitor just improved the team by 26 teams. While Tubby deserved another year IMO his last three years were incredibly disappointing, especially the final year when injuries weren't an issue. Not to mention the front office did everything in their power at the deadline to sabotage the season

AUGH, this is such a horrible take. Not even getting into this forum's age old debate on the Tubby firing.

The two situations bare no resemblance:
-Tubby came in with a veteran team expected to compete for a top 4 spot in the B1G and stumbled backwards into the NCAA tournament only to beat a team that had also failed to meet expectations in a far weaker league.
-Molitor came in with a young team expected to be among the worst in baseball and far exceeded expectations despite not having a true ace or a bullpen.
(You could make a bigger case about that Tubby was by this time a pretty known entity as a coach and Molitor is still a fairly young coach and hasn't been given a team rife with (pitching)talent yet)

Not even close to the same situation. Molitor just improved the team by 26 teams. While Tubby deserved another year IMO his last three years were incredibly disappointing, especially the final year when injuries weren't an issue. Not to mention the front office did everything in their power at the deadline to sabotage the season

I go back and forth on this....Molitor also coached the team to a historically bad year last year. The improvement is impressive, sure, but it shouldn't be forgotten that his fingerprints were on last year's team too. Maybe you could argue they exceeded expectations this year, but was that also because they were so bad last year? A few years ago this team was expected to be more competitive by now. I'm a little torn on Molitor.

You could probably say the same thing about Pitino. I was as pleasantly surprised as anybody last year, but they had lowered expectations so badly the previous year. Maybe I'm arguing for seeing the whole picture. However, I'm definitely a huge fan of Pitino.

The situations are similar. The records of Tubby and Molly were immaterial to the organizational visions of Teague and the Twin's combo of Falvey and Levine.

Tubby also had no recruits of any recognized significance coming and the future was bleak moving forward. Pitino scrambled to miraculously find and add contributing pieces long after it’s normally possible.

New guy in charge is going to want his own coach. Actually, it also happened with Coyle and Claeys. The tweet about that amazingly successful boycott gave Coyle the opening.

Totally freaking retarded. See here this red, shiny thing. This is an apple. But this rough, orange thing over here is an orange. But yet, they are really the same.

Oh, and my opinion, Tubby deserved to get fired. He had cashed it in for two years before he actually got canned. He had no fire left, nothing against Tubby, but there was nothing left at the end. He didn't even try.

Awful take. Tubby was directly responsible for procuring talent for the team. He was sliding badly in that regard, and you could see the decline was coming, even if he was still a decent X's and O's coach. Molitor is only responsible for getting as many wins as possible out of the talent he's given. He's 2/3 in that regard.

Awful take. Tubby was directly responsible for procuring talent for the team. He was sliding badly in that regard, and you could see the decline was coming, even if he was still a decent X's and O's coach. Molitor is only responsible for getting as many wins as possible out of the talent he's given. He's 2/3 in that regard.

Exactly. In college sports the coach(ing staff) is the GM, scouting department, and game coach rolled into one. Tubby the GM and scouting department got fired, not necessarily Tubby the coach. Molitor's in a role where he can only coach the guys he has, and sometimes might be as surprised as you or I that the front office shipped off or cut one of his guys. Since he got more than anyone expected of those guys, he should be welcome to stay.

Paul Molitor will likely be AL Coach of the Year...I don't think a win at the NCAA tourney is comparable. Mostly Tubby did an ok job. Monitor has been a great improvement over our last manager.

I don't think a win at the NCAA tourney is comparable.

Agreed. Tubby actually won a postseason game.

Monitor has been a great improvement over our last manager.

"Monitor"
227-259 (.467), 1 postseason appearance in 3 seasons (.333), 0-1 (.000) postseason record

Gardenhire
1,068-1,039 (.507), 6 postseason appearances in 13 seasons (.462), 6-21 (.222) postseason record

"Great improvement." Wow.

It's really tough sometimes to tell whether people are just seriously misinformed or trolling. If the latter, kudos. If the former - yikes.

Agreed. Tubby actually won a postseason game.

"Monitor"
227-259 (.467), 1 postseason appearance in 3 seasons (.333), 0-1 (.000) postseason record

Gardenhire
1,068-1,039 (.507), 6 postseason appearances in 13 seasons (.462), 6-21 (.222) postseason record

"Great improvement." Wow.

It's really tough sometimes to tell whether people are just seriously misinformed or trolling. If the latter, kudos. If the former - yikes.

I'd argue that Moltior has not yet had the talent that Gardy had when he racked up most of those wins. When the current young core of Buxton, Sano, Keppler, Rosario ect.. ect.. reach their prime then you can compare the two managers.

This is not a dig at Gardy by any means because I thought he was a great manager but time will tell if Molitor can surpass Gardenhire. I'd put my money on the twins being better soon than they ever were under Gardy but that also has to do with the fact that the new front office is not as cautious as the previous regime and external factors such as a newer stadium.

I'd argue that Moltior has not yet had the talent that Gardy had when he racked up most of those wins. When the current young core of Buxton, Sano, Keppler, Rosario ect.. ect.. reach their prime then you can compare the two managers.

This is not a dig at Gardy by any means because I thought he was a great manager but time will tell if Molitor can surpass Gardenhire. I'd put my money on the twins being better soon than they ever were under Gardy but that also has to do with the fact that the new front office is not as cautious as the previous regime and external factors such as a newer stadium.

Not as cautious? What do you call trading away your closer and a starting picture in a playoff year?

I’d call it misreading how quickly the youngsters were progressing. The hot second half took everybody by surprise. They looked dead in the water at the trade deadline. I’d say we still don’t know enough about how Falvey/Levine will run the club.

I’d call it misreading how quickly the youngsters were progressing. The hot second half took everybody by surprise. They looked dead in the water at the trade deadline. I’d say we still don’t know enough about how Falvey/Levine will run the club.

They also miscalculated the rest of the American League. The Twins won a race in which ultimately no team was chasing them. All of the other AL teams finished sub .500.

Top Bottom