Shama: U Football Revenue Tops Last Year

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Shama:

The Gophers have already surpassed last year’s total for football ticket revenue, according to numbers provided Sports Headliners by the University of Minnesota Athletic Department.

A department spokesman reported via email “about $10.75 million in football ticket revenue” has been generated, approximately $3,000 more than the total for the entire seven-game home schedule in 2016. The $10.75 million figure was provided late last month after Minnesota’s first two home games this season. The total includes public and student season ticket revenues and single game sales for all seven home games in 2017.

It’s anticipated that no additional 2017 public season tickets will be sold because three home games have already been played. However, the student season ticket sales campaign started much later than the public sale this year and, according to athletic department spokesman Jake Ricker, more student sales are likely. Also, many more individual game tickets and resulting revenue will be generated in the days and weeks ahead.

None of the Gophers remaining games are sellouts, but capacity crowds are a possibility for the November 11 and 25 games with Nebraska and Wisconsin. Those rivalries are considered premium priced games and they attract thousands of Cornhuskers and Badgers ticket buyers. For the Nebraska game, prices start at $90 and go up to $235, while the range for Wisconsin is $80 to $210.

“We anticipate hundreds of thousands of additional dollars in football ticket revenue …over (last) year by the time this season concludes,” Ricker wrote in an email.

http://shamasportsheadliners.com/

Go Gophers!!

I wonder where all the additional revenue is coming from. Was it more season tickets bought (both public and student)? More single game tickets? It will be interesting to see the numbers. Hopefully this trend continues (though if they don't improve their level of play from last week I don't think it will).

So glad to see Fleck is already making a difference.

Even if he doesn't win games, it's easy to see the program is already more loved by the public, and financially in better shape.

“about $10.75 million in football ticket revenue” has been generated, approximately $3,000 more than the total for the entire seven-game home schedule in 2016.

That's kinda a tricky way of wording it because despite being all of week 5... they're not going to collect much more. I'm sure 2016 by this week they had gathered most of their revenue for the season too... :p

They say that later... kinda.

Even if he doesn't win games, it's easy to see the program is already more loved by the public, and financially in better shape.

He may be part of the reason (maybe more in terms of student season tickets), but to say the 9 win season with a bowl win didn't also contribute is stupid. I disagreed with the way Claeys handled the situation last winter, but he did do his part to get the ticket sales to rebound.

I believe the difference is because of 5 BIG home games this year and having Wisc and Neb, compared to 4 and only Iowa

Would not say there is more love.

That's kinda a tricky way of wording it because despite being all of week 5... they're not going to collect much more. I'm sure 2016 by this week they had gathered most of their revenue for the season too... [emoji14]

They say that later... kinda.
Yep, it's kind of a bookkeepers trick. In the end revenue is pretty much identical to last year. Remember...this is year zero. Next year is the year of comparison.

I believe the difference is because of 5 BIG home games this year and having Wisc and Neb, compared to 4 and only Iowa

You're using MATH on Gopherhole? That's just mean..

per Shama:

The Gophers have already surpassed last year’s total for football ticket revenue, according to numbers provided Sports Headliners by the University of Minnesota Athletic Department.

A department spokesman reported via email “about $10.75 million in football ticket revenue” has been generated, approximately $3,000 more than the total for the entire seven-game home schedule in 2016. The $10.75 million figure was provided late last month after Minnesota’s first two home games this season. The total includes public and student season ticket revenues and single game sales for all seven home games in 2017.

It’s anticipated that no additional 2017 public season tickets will be sold because three home games have already been played. However, the student season ticket sales campaign started much later than the public sale this year and, according to athletic department spokesman Jake Ricker, more student sales are likely. Also, many more individual game tickets and resulting revenue will be generated in the days and weeks ahead.

None of the Gophers remaining games are sellouts, but capacity crowds are a possibility for the November 11 and 25 games with Nebraska and Wisconsin. Those rivalries are considered premium priced games and they attract thousands of Cornhuskers and Badgers ticket buyers. For the Nebraska game, prices start at $90 and go up to $235, while the range for Wisconsin is $80 to $210.

“We anticipate hundreds of thousands of additional dollars in football ticket revenue …over (last) year by the time this season concludes,” Ricker wrote in an email.

http://shamasportsheadliners.com/

Go Gophers!!

- The athletic department sold 21,985 public season tickets in 2017, 566 fewer than last year. Ricker said a larger base of season tickets partially carried over from 2015 into 2016 than was in place this year.

-Student ticket sales for this year are at 5,964, down about 1,000 from 2016, but a few hundred more tickets could be sold.

Less love from the trolls and grumpy old men. Much more love from everyone else.

Right. There is just no reason to not like him otherwise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Funny that wasn't mentioned. I give PJ 1 week before he starts stating this "news" in his interviews.

Considering the thousands who probably cancelled tickets after last year's fiasco, to be even would have been an outstanding achievement.

I know many people were really disgusted by the news coming from the team last year.
Each night you turn on the TV news, you'd see bad news.

This year is way different. A team you can be proud of.

It all goes back to solid leadership.

Whether you want to attribute that to Fleck, Coyle, or Kaler, I'll leave that up to you.
Let's just keep the positivity flowing.

GO GOPHERS!

Considering the thousands who probably cancelled tickets after last year's fiasco, to be even would have been an outstanding achievement.

I know many people were really disgusted by the news coming from the team last year.
Each night you turn on the TV news, you'd see bad news.

<b>This year is way different. A team you can be proud of.</b>

It all goes back to solid leadership.

Whether you want to attribute that to Fleck, Coyle, or Kaler, I'll leave that up to you.
Let's just keep the positivity flowing.

GO GOPHERS!

Are you proud of Demry and Duke for doing what they did to get suspended?

Who needs a poll to figure out where folks are on the new regime vs the old regime?? Just fire up a thread like this and people will just come right out and tell you!

I’m enjoying the show.

70231110-487B-4956-82A4-8E8E510B724D.jpg

Casual fans I work with didn't talk much about Gopher football last year with the exception of the scandal. But this year, I have co-workers coming up to me and talking about the games and the team on a daily basis. One of the things those with families point out is how they like how Fleck actually holds his players accountable, referring to those being suspended for not doing the right things. That makes them proud to cheer for the team. This was not the case last year.

Are you proud of Demry and Duke for doing what they did to get suspended?

Simple math tells me 2 is less than 5. Also, I like to think that 2 team rules violated are much better than police investigations, charged or not.

Simple math tells me 2 is less than 5. Also, I like to think that 2 team rules violated are much better than police investigations, charged or not.

I just checked and you are right, 2 is less than 5. Regardless, I wasn't saying this year has been worse - simply wanted to know if FtF was proud as he seemed to claim this year's team doesn't have any embarrassments.

Casual fans I work with didn't talk much about Gopher football last year with the exception of the scandal. But this year, I have co-workers coming up to me and talking about the games and the team on a daily basis. <b>One of the things those with families point out is how they like how Fleck actually holds his players accountable, referring to those being suspended for not doing the right things. </b>That makes them proud to cheer for the team. <b>This was not the case last year.</b>

Please let me know who wasn't suspended last year after not doing the right thing? Thanks.

22K in season tickets. Could be worse, I guess.

I just checked and you are right, 2 is less than 5. Regardless, I wasn't saying this year has been worse - simply wanted to know if FtF was proud as he seemed to claim this year's team doesn't have any embarrassments.

Far more proud.
I'm glad Fleck is holding these kids accountable for whatever team rules they are breaking.

Seems like a much higher level of accountability.

Claeys never voluntarily suspended any of his players. It always had to be due to restraining orders or outside influences.

Far more proud.
I'm glad Fleck is holding these kids accountable for whatever team rules they are breaking.

Claeys never voluntarily suspended any of his players. It always had to be due to restraining orders or outside influences.

Is anything you say true?

Far more proud.

I know you're a football-hating troll but to set the record straight probably our second best WR Brian Smith was dismissed from the team for getting into some sort of a brawl IIRC. I'm sure there was other stuff I can't recall or we don't know about.

Please remember that the police investigations came back with little to no evidence to charge those players. They broke no laws, it was a all a University investigation that in the end was probably done to give reason for firing Claeys.

Top Bottom