NCAA COI final report (including penalties) on North Carolina case Friday at 11 a.m.

SelectionSunday

Reaction score
Guessing a lot of people interested in college basketball are eyeing this one closely.

What I would like to see? A 2-year postseason ban, specifically the ACC and NCAA tournaments, and at least one of their NCAA titles under Dad Gum Roy (2005 and/or 2009) stripped. The former IS MUCH MORE IMPORTANT than the latter. Taking the NCAA Tournament away is the harshest thing you can do to a program of UNC's ilk.

What I expect we'll see? A 1-year postseason ban.

Penalties that would have no/minimal impact on UNC? A couple scholarship deductions for a couple years, an institutional fine, cutting down the amount of time coaches can spend recruiting, vacated games.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

This is the NCAA we're talking about.

Their "punishments" will likely amount to a strong finger-wagging and a "don't do that again!"

Then they'll tout their impartiality and talk ad naseum about how ethics and doing things the right way are of the highest priority in NCAA athletics.

After that, they'll go out for a few beers with the UNC folks and pat themselves on the back for a job well done.

The rest of the world will bitch and moan, but the NCAA will defend it's "stiff" penalties as being appropriate.

And then the unending joke that is the NCAA will go on their merry way.

I'd love to be wrong, but I highly doubt it. This is, after all, the NCAA.

The NCAA needs to take a stand here when somebody blatantly spits in the face of your organization s mission statement. I would say intensionally running fake classes and what SMU did the 80s goes against what these guys allegedly stand for. This is an easier lay up than Coyle had with the wrestling coach for the NCAA to flex their muscles and show that there's at least suppose to be integrity in student athletics. You don't do that tomorrow than what's the point anymore, why pretend?

I guarantee the penalties will be less severe than the penalties we received.

Just for perspective, what were our penalties?

The NCAA needs to take a stand here when somebody blatantly spits in the face of your organization s mission statement. . ...

This is why I'd like to see a 2-year postseason ban (though I don't expect it). Not only did UNC refuse to self-impose a 1-year postseason ban (what most schools do in these type of situations, even dirtier-than-sin Louisville did it), they had the balls to say "F U NCAA, this has nothing to do with preferential treatment for basketball/football players," that the sham classes weren't taken only by athletes. That may be true, but so what. Those sham classes helped keep some of the UNC brain wizards eligible, guys they would not have had available had those "courses" not been offered.

Self-imposed & NCAA sanctions

Here were the self-imposed and NCAA-imposed sanctions for Minnesota, per Wikipedia:

Self-Imposed
Following an internal investigation launched on March 19, 1999, the university self-imposed the following sanctions on its men's basketball program, among others:

(1) A postseason ban for the 1999–00 season;

(2) A reduction of three scholarships for the 1999–00 season and a total of four scholarships reduced from the 2000–01 and 2003–04 seasons;

(3) Forfeiture of 90% of money earned from appearances in the 1994, 1995, and 1997 NCAA Tournaments.

NCAA-Imposes
Following its investigation, the NCAA issued the following sanctions to the university:

(1) Four years of probation until October 23, 2004;

(2) A reduction of five scholarships in total until the 2003–04 season;

(3) A reduction of six paid visits by recruits until the 2002–03 season;

(4) Vacation of all appearances in the 1994, 1995, and 1997 NCAA Tournaments and 1996 and 1998 National Invitational Tournaments, as well as individual records of those student-athletes found to have committed academic fraud;

(5) And show-cause penalties for Clem Haskins and Alonzo Newby (both until October 23, 2007) and Jan Gangelhoff (until October 23, 2005).

Cleveland St. bracing for severe sanctions.

This is why I'd like to see a 2-year postseason ban (though I don't expect it). Not only did UNC refuse to self-impose a 1-year postseason ban (what most schools do in these type of situations, even dirtier-than-sin Louisville did it), they had the balls to say "F U NCAA, this has nothing to do with preferential treatment for basketball/football players," that the sham classes weren't taken only by athletes. That may be true, but so what. Those sham classes helped keep some of the UNC brain wizards eligible, guys they would not have had available had those "courses" not been offered.

The non athletes and athletes should lose their degrees as well. No one just accidentally falls into this sort of thing

Do you think the recent news will have an impact on the penalties? Pretty big blow to the NCAA if paying players and having fake classes go lightly punished (after leading to National Championships). If they don't crack down now, it pretty much gives the green light for everyone to do what Louisville/NC are/were doing and renders the NCAA effectively useless, in my opinion.

Do you think the recent news will have an impact on the penalties? Pretty big blow to the NCAA if paying players and having fake classes go lightly punished (after leading to National Championships). If they don't crack down now, it pretty much gives the green light for everyone to do what Louisville/NC are/were doing and renders the NCAA effectively useless, in my opinion.

Well said.

In light of the recent developments, the NCAA (member schools) definitely will look pretty bad/toothless if all UNC gets is a slap on the wrist. I'm hoping this will embolden Infractions Committee to grow a pair of cojones and wield a heavy hammer. We'll see. ... significant ruling for all of college sports tomorrow.

Taking scholarships away doesn't hold the same sting as it did before shoe companies started fronting one and done's more than the value of the one year scholarship.

Here were the self-imposed and NCAA-imposed sanctions for Minnesota, per Wikipedia:

Self-Imposed
Following an internal investigation launched on March 19, 1999, the university self-imposed the following sanctions on its men's basketball program, among others:

(1) A postseason ban for the 1999–00 season;

(2) A reduction of three scholarships for the 1999–00 season and a total of four scholarships reduced from the 2000–01 and 2003–04 seasons;

(3) Forfeiture of 90% of money earned from appearances in the 1994, 1995, and 1997 NCAA Tournaments.

NCAA-Imposes
Following its investigation, the NCAA issued the following sanctions to the university:

(1) Four years of probation until October 23, 2004;

(2) A reduction of five scholarships in total until the 2003–04 season;

(3) A reduction of six paid visits by recruits until the 2002–03 season;

(4) Vacation of all appearances in the 1994, 1995, and 1997 NCAA Tournaments and 1996 and 1998 National Invitational Tournaments, as well as individual records of those student-athletes found to have committed academic fraud;

(5) And show-cause penalties for Clem Haskins and Alonzo Newby (both until October 23, 2007) and Jan Gangelhoff (until October 23, 2005).

If NC mostly just gets a finger wag by the NCAA then their is absolutely no reason for a school to self impose penalties.

If NC mostly just gets a finger wag by the NCAA then their is absolutely no reason for a school to self impose penalties.

Yep, that's why at the absolute bare minimum UNC needs to get a 1-year postseason ban. They were so cocky they wouldn't even ban themselves for a year. That's a big part of the reason I'd give them a 2-year postseason ban. ... this season and next. No need to wait, punish them immediately (this has already gone on forever), and then punish them for next season (might lose a couple recruits).

The NCAA needs to take a stand here when somebody blatantly spits in the face of your organization s mission statement. I would say intensionally running fake classes and what SMU did the 80s goes against what these guys allegedly stand for. This is an easier lay up than Coyle had with the wrestling coach for the NCAA to flex their muscles and show that there's at least suppose to be integrity in student athletics. You don't do that tomorrow than what's the point anymore, why pretend?

Exactly.

Level playing field, SS?

Or maybe not. ... the wait continues

Yep, that's why at the absolute bare minimum UNC needs to get a 1-year postseason ban. They were so cocky they wouldn't even ban themselves for a year. That's a big part of the reason I'd give them a 2-year postseason ban. ... this season and next. No need to wait, punish them immediately (this has already gone on forever), and then punish them for next season (might lose a couple recruits).

+1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm expecting Cleveland State to get eviscerated.

Reason for delay in in UNC ruling?

Probably not coincidental, "UNC (today) is set to announce a multibillion-dollar fundraising campaign, and campus events are scheduled throughout the weekend."

The fact this this was originally scheduled as a Friday afternoon news dump leads me to believe the penalties aren't as severe as most of us think they should be. The fact that unc basically was able to get them to postpone it because it inconveniences them in relation to some previously scheduled unc events, furthers that belief.

I try not to think about this too much because as a Gopher fan, it truly infuriates me the way unc seems to be mostly getting away with this.

The fact this this was originally scheduled as a Friday afternoon news dump leads me to believe the penalties aren't as severe as most of us think they should be. The fact that unc basically was able to get them to postpone it because it inconveniences them in relation to some previously scheduled unc events, furthers that belief.

I try not to think about this too much because as a Gopher fan, it truly infuriates me the way unc seems to be mostly getting away with this.

The ncaa, after all, keeps the playing field level for all member institutions.

Top Bottom