Diagnosing the Lack of Depth in the Secondary

John Galt

Reaction score
A good read from TDG: https://www.thedailygopher.com/2017...g-lack-of-depth-secondary-recruiting-injuries

Just three upperclassmen who were recruited as scholarship athletes? More freshmen than there are juniors and seniors? That’s not how you build a roster. That’s how you build a house of cards, and we’ve only begun to see it topple. How does this happen? In my opinion, it comes down to three things: Recruiting, injuries, and attrition. I know some have laid the blame on the expulsions from last year, but I believe it goes beyond that.

2013: Jalen Myrick would not redshirt as a freshman and is now playing for the Jacksonville Jaguars after an outstanding career at Minnesota, in which he saw action in 47 games and started 21 of them. Duke McGhee is a current starter at safety, but has been suspended as of last week for an unspecified violation of team rules.

2014: Cornerback Craig James lasted two seasons at Minnesota before transferring to Southern Illinois to be closer to home. With his departure, the 2014 recruiting class ended up without a single defensive back. Hence, there are no redshirt junior or senior defensive backs on the roster. This is particularly egregious when you consider that the previous coaching stuff brought in just two defensive backs in 2013.

2015: Here, the coaching staff attempted to compensate for 2013 and 2014 by loading up on defensive backs. It backfired. Three of the seven defensive backs from this class were dismissed from the program last year. It would have been impossible for the staff to foresee that happening, but it also helps illustrate the foolish risk of using one recruiting class to make up for the mistakes of the previous two. The addition of JUCO safety Ace Rogers also helped for about three games before he tore his ACL, which knocked him out for the rest of 2015. He did not see game action in 2016.

Looking back, these three recruiting classes combined to contribute just four defensive backs to the current roster. That’s not a recipe for success.

2016: Kiondre Thomas is now a starter at cornerback as a redshirt freshman, while Coney Durr has seen limited action while he recovers from a torn ACL. I think we can all attest that Antoine Winfield, Jr. has been a saving grace.

2017: Ken Handy-Holly was forced into action due to the injury to Winfield, and Rey Estes is expected to follow suit with Craighton out. Justus Harris has not seen the field, and Adam Beck was a late arrival to camp and has also not seen the field.

2018: As you can see, the current staff has emphasized the defensive back positions, and are believed to be looking to add at least one more before Signing Day. I suspect it will be a point of emphasis again in the 2019 recruiting class, as well.

The transfer of Craig James. The suspension of safety Duke McGhee. The dismissals of KiAnte Hardin, Ray Buford, and Dior Johnson. That’s five defensive backs who could’ve seen the field on Saturday had things played out differently. When you handicap yourself in recruiting, it’s nearly impossible to sustain these kind of unforeseen losses. Hardin and James both would have been upperclassmen and probable starters at cornerback this year. McGhee, who is expected to miss at least one more game, was sorely missed in run support against Maryland.

The path forward
Regardless of whether it was Tracy Claeys or P.J. Fleck leading the team out of the tunnel this fall, these recruiting failures were going to rear their ugly head sooner or later. You can’t whiff on consecutive recruiting classes and not expect there to be consequences down the road. It’s possible the Gophers might have been able to weather the storm this season had Craighton and Winfield remained healthy and McGhee avoided suspension, but here we are. Defensive coordinator Robb Smith certainly has his work cut out for him moving forward. And as far as recruiting goes, we’re already seeing Fleck take the necessary steps to address the problem, although things might get worse before they getter with the youth movement.

Oh come on John, this is a 9 win team!!! Tracy would have us in the Super Bowl!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It was a good read, but I don't believe it was a foolish risk to bring in so many DB's in 2015. It's unfortunate that those 3 didn't make very good decisions and rightfully got dismissed from the team. Had we only brought in 4 or 5 DB's that year and those three were part of it, we would be in even worse shape.
The injuries that have happened to Durr and now Craighton have created a bigger problem
When you have players transfer or leave school you have to fill that hole with more players at that position the following year to make up for it. Kind of like PJ really went after DT and DE this past recruiting season and the one coming up. I don't think it is foolish risk to do something like that,unless you're bringing in players who are real reaches to play at the P5 level.
And if it was a foolish risk to bring in so many DB's in '15, wouldn't it also be a foolish risk to repeat that in '18?

Every team deals with these problems. Nobody could have foreseen the Spanish Inquisition.

The 2012 class had Murray, BBC, Travis, Antonio Johnson, Shabazz. All those guys were either stellar multi-year starters or contributors.

2011 had Cedric Thompson and Derrick Wells.

The prior staff was stupidly successful at bringing in talent. This is a garbage article. **** happens. End of story. I expect better of Iowagopher.

I think the article makes a fair point on one hand and is sort of intentionally playing chicken little on the other.

It would be naive to ignore the fact that had the "incident" not occurred last year, we likely would be starting two different CBs. The look of our secondary would be profoundly different if we started Hardin and Buford and had Thomas playing nickle.

However, it's also kind of insincere to discuss our secondary without mentioning the fact that we brought back a lot of talent and depth at the safety position. I don't care what year Winfield is, he is one of our better players. Just because he is not a JR/SR doesn't mean he doesn't "count". Huff and McGhee (who I get that is now suspended) are decent/better than decent Big 10 safeties and Ayinde is ok as a backup. He has experience. I realize McGhee was suspended but things happen to every team.

This isn't that much different from a couple years ago when Travis and Duke got hurt and we were rolling with Ayinde (as a walk-on) and Johnson as our safeties with considerably less depth behind those two. It stinks, but it's part of college football for every team, every year.

So yeah, the incident changed our defensive backfield but to pile on by discussing Winfield's injury and McGhee's suspension. . . yawn. . . those things happen to every team, every year.

I believe the "risk" he speaks of in this article is not about loading up on d-backs during the 2015 recruiting cycle but rather the lack of recruitment of d-backs during the 2013 cycle and 2014 cycle in which during those two years only three d-backs were signed. I tend to agree with the authors accessment, I understand in college football you loose players every year to grades, injuries, transfers, dissmisals etc. and that is part of the game of college football. However for a position group that always fields at least four players, many times five and sometimes 6 going two recruiting cycles and only signing three players for that position group is a huge risk and in my view even a failure to recruit to your needs.

This article does a great job explaining to the casual fan how the team got to this place.
I would like to hear more about different ways the coaching staff can try to compensate for the lack of experience and depth in the secondary.
Like maybe a 3-4 defense with guys like Jackson, Richardson and Stelter on the line and Coughlin, Celestin, Martin, and Barber at Lb on early downs followed by replacing Barber with Ayinde or another nickel on passing downs.

I think the article makes a fair point on one hand and is sort of intentionally playing chicken little on the other.

It would be naive to ignore the fact that had the "incident" not occurred last year, we likely would be starting two different CBs. The look of our secondary would be profoundly different if we started Hardin and Buford and had Thomas playing nickle.

However, it's also kind of insincere to discuss our secondary without mentioning the fact that we brought back a lot of talent and depth at the safety position. I don't care what year Winfield is, he is one of our better players. Just because he is not a JR/SR doesn't mean he doesn't "count". Huff and McGhee (who I get that is now suspended) are decent/better than decent Big 10 safeties and Ayinde is ok as a backup. He has experience. I realize McGhee was suspended but things happen to every team.

This isn't that much different from a couple years ago when Travis and Duke got hurt and we were rolling with Ayinde (as a walk-on) and Johnson as our safeties with considerably less depth behind those two. It stinks, but it's part of college football for every team, every year.

So yeah, the incident changed our defensive backfield but to pile on by discussing Winfield's injury and McGhee's suspension. . . yawn. . . those things happen to every team, every year.

Nice post...captured my thoughts. Outside of the usual top teams, all teams have areas where they could be deeper, and there are a lot of variables involved. Said it before many times...in the past 3-4 years, there's been many players who step up to the opportunity and perform. I don't expect that to change.

Add in 3 HC's in three seasons and the position coach changes that went along with it. It all adds up to a lack of depth.

I thought it was a good post by JG. My only additions, and this is JMO, but I wonder if Kill and Clayes we're steadfast on character issues? We've seen it with 4 of their rrecruits so far this year. I also might add PJ may have one coming in with the QB Armstrong. He was suspended for several games because of acholol. Yes, kids will be kids, but it seems like the Gophers have had their fair share of player problems.

There are going to be discipline issues under Fleck. To think his Culture is going to root out human nature or he has a divining rod to see into the Id of a recruit is ludicrous. He may run off players more often to keep things clean or run things more underground but I see it as half PR campaign for the masses and half PJ's fascination with being a motivational speaker. Some of the biggest hellions I ran with in high school and college were kids of clergy or kids raised in strict catholic schools.

There are going to be discipline issues under Fleck. To think his Culture is going to root out human nature or he has a divining rod to see into the Id of a recruit is ludicrous. He may run off players more often to keep things clean or run things more underground but I see it as half PR campaign for the masses and half PJ's fascination with being a motivational speaker. Some of the biggest hellions I ran with in high school and college were kids of clergy or kids raised in strict catholic schools.

We're all criminals, some just get caught.

Hardin
Buford
Durr
James
McGee
Winfield

If those guys are here and healthy, they're all playing this year and I'd put them up against the top six from any other team in the conference. I understand that the point is that those guys aren't available right now. But I wonder how many teams outside of OSU and Michigan could lose six strong DBs -- plus potential replacements such as Craighton and Dior -- and not have issues.

Attrition happens. Transfers, injuries, discipline. But losing seven players at one position group since the bowl game is a catastrophe and impossible to plan for.

Hardin
Buford
Durr
James
McGee
Winfield

If those guys are here and healthy, they're all playing this year and I'd put them up against the top six from any other team in the conference. I understand that the point is that those guys aren't available right now. But I wonder how many teams outside of OSU and Michigan could lose six strong DBs -- plus potential replacements such as Craighton and Dior -- and not have issues.

Attrition happens. Transfers, injuries, discipline. But losing seven players at one position group since the bowl game is a catastrophe and impossible to plan for.

Add in that we don't have true DE's on the field, it's a recipe for disaster on the defense. No pressure on QB to help the back end.

I think we all understand how we got here at the cornerback position but it doesn’t make it less frustrating. For the first time in a long time, i simply don’t trust us to get off the field. I’m not going to blame any coach for what’s going on at CB. That’s the result of a bad decision by multiple guys.

Now the lack of depth at DE however is a different story

They were also hurt by a late decommit in both 13 and 14. Nate Andrews who flipped to FSU and Khari Blasingame who flipped to Vanderbilt (who now is playing receiver after Sawvell wanted him as a safety)

I think we all understand how we got here at the cornerback position but it doesn’t make it less frustrating. For the first time in a long time, i simply don’t trust us to get off the field. I’m not going to blame any coach for what’s going on at CB. That’s the result of a bad decision by multiple guys.

Now the lack of depth at DE however is a different story

Add in 3 HC's in three seasons and the position coach changes that went along with it. It all adds up to a lack of depth.

That's really not true as Sawvel was the DB coach every year. Then with the hiring of PJ, we had a different position coach

What a garbage article. I think it is just trying to make excuses for a loss. This team is identical to the team that beat Maryland last year and, but for bad coaching, we should have won, at least several here on GH have told us that is the case. *Note - heavy sarcasm.

That's really not true as Sawvel was the DB coach every year. Then with the hiring of PJ, we had a different position coach

I agree it's not an excuse for DB's. I meant it more as in the team in general and lack of depth on offense and defense. It plays a role in recruiting across the board.

What a garbage article. I think it is just trying to make excuses for a loss. This team is identical to the team that beat Maryland last year and, but for bad coaching, we should have won, at least several here on GH have told us that is the case. *Note - heavy sarcasm.

Nothing ever changes except that we get better and more talented every year...*

-GH

*Despite the fact that there is no evidence of this ever happening.

A look at the recruiting class of 2014 who would be seniors or redshirt juniors as a whole listed in order as they were evaluated as recruits. This may explain the lack of depth at almost every position.

Jeff Jones: Not on team
Connor Mayes: Not on team
Melvin Holland: Injured
Gaelin Elmore: Not on team
Dimonic Roden-McKinzy: Not on team
Stelter: Back up DT gets less playing time now than he did as a Sophomore
Isiah Gentry: Not on team
Craig James: Not on team
Rodney Smith: Starting RB
Conner Krizancic: Not on Team
Jerry Gibson: backup DE, limited playing time
Brandon Lingen: starting TE
Steven Richardson: Starting DT
Everett Williams: buried on the depth chart as a LB
Cody Poock: 2nd string MLB
Jared Weyler: Injured
Gary Moore: much improved DT
Jonathon Celestin: starting LB
Luke Rasmussen: Not on team
Julien Kafo: Not on team
Desmond Gant: Not on team

0 QBs
1 Olineman whom is injured
1 WR whom is injured
0 DBs

I believe the "risk" he speaks of in this article is not about loading up on d-backs during the 2015 recruiting cycle but rather the lack of recruitment of d-backs during the 2013 cycle and 2014 cycle in which during those two years only three d-backs were signed. I tend to agree with the authors accessment, I understand in college football you loose players every year to grades, injuries, transfers, dissmisals etc. and that is part of the game of college football. However for a position group that always fields at least four players, many times five and sometimes 6 going two recruiting cycles and only signing three players for that position group is a huge risk and in my view even a failure to recruit to your needs.
Spot on!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Here is how we stack up with Freshmen and Redshirt freshmen in the two deeps, against B1G opponents.

Illinois- 15 in the two deeps and 9 starting
Minnesota 10 and 4
Nebraska- 10 and 1
Michigan State- 11 and 2
Northwestern- 9 and 3
Iowa - 9 and 2
Wisconsin- 8 and 2
Michigan- 4 and 2
Purdue- 3 and 2
Maryland- 5 and 0

Every team deals with these problems. Nobody could have foreseen the Spanish Inquisition.

The 2012 class had Murray, BBC, Travis, Antonio Johnson, Shabazz. All those guys were either stellar multi-year starters or contributors.

2011 had Cedric Thompson and Derrick Wells.

The prior staff was stupidly successful at bringing in talent. This is a garbage article. **** happens. End of story. I expect better of Iowagopher.

Who did 2014 have?

Here is how we stack up with Freshmen and Redshirt freshmen in the two deeps, against B1G opponents.

Illinois- 15 in the two deeps and 9 starting
Minnesota 10 and 4
Nebraska- 10 and 1
Michigan State- 11 and 2
Northwestern- 9 and 3
Iowa - 9 and 2
Wisconsin- 8 and 2
Michigan- 4 and 2
Purdue- 3 and 2
Maryland- 5 and 0

Oh man and MD has had some good classes IIRC... they might be sitting on some serious talent.

Waiting for the....

"But this same team beat Washington State in a meaningless Bowl Game!!!!"

Who did 2014 have?

Grasping at straws for ****ting the bed Saturday. I wonder if this is what it was like in the Fuhrerbunker as the reds closed in.

That staff recruited and put numerous DBs in the NFL-are you really disparaging them over one year with some recruiting misses? There was an unforeseen scandal that decimated the CB depth. Put in the young guys and get them coached up. Quit whining.

Top Bottom