The legend of Lindsay Whalen continues to grow

BleedGopher

Reaction score
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

http://www.espn.com/wnba/story/_/id...x-lindsay-whalen-right-home-fourth-wnba-title

Pat Borzi:

There are moments that win championships, and there are Lindsay Whalen moments. So many of them Wednesday night were one and the same, in the building where Whalen starred for the University of Minnesota and her retired No. 13 hangs in the rafters.

The banner features an iconic photo of a focused, intense Whalen driving for a twisting layup. Whalen flashed that look and that determination multiple times in Game 5, contributing 17 points and eight assists as the gritty Minnesota Lynx outworked and outlasted the Los Angeles Sparks 85-76. Minnesota won a record-tying fourth WNBA title, while Rebekkah Brunson earned her fifth, the most in WNBA history.

In each of those moments the sellout crowd of 14,632 roared as one, a crescendo so loud the raised floor vibrated, as it did in 2004 when Whalen willed the Gophers to the Final Four. "Unbelievable," she said after Wednesday's win.

Whalen made terrific plays throughout, both big and small. A 3-pointer to finish the 7-0 opening run that got the Lynx rolling. A second-quarter pass to Seimone Augustus for a 3-pointer after missing one of her own, prompting Whalen to turn and gesture to the roaring crowd.

She had that intense look last night and took it to Odyssey Sims as a personal battle. It was so fun watching her play back in the barn. Coach Reeves thanked the men's and women's teams for sharing Our House !

While we're waiting for the season to begin we have this: A big thanks to Adam Judovsky (no, I don't know him) who put together Whalen's 2004 Elite 8 highlights.

I'm the one who made the video. I have a few more planned to make. Just got to find the time.

I'm the one who made the video. I have a few more planned to make. Just got to find the time.

Once again, thanks. I love recalling the spin move down the lane. Andersson raced down court, signaled that she's screening the first defender clearing the lane for Whalen's spin past Beard to the hoop. Kadidja was a talented, hard working player.

Once again, thanks. I love recalling the spin move down the lane. Andersson raced down court, signaled that she's screening the first defender clearing the lane for Whalen's spin past Beard to the hoop. Kadidja was a talented, hard working player.

Excellent ! Thanks for putting this video together. My Mom and I were there and followed them all the way to NO. I will never forget buying a beer for McCarville's Mom. We all made signs @ the hotel and mine said " No beads for Beard " I never got to see the Duke bench up close. That was a magical run !

That video brings back great memories.

I was on a road-trip with my mom, heading back to Minnesota from Arizona during that run. And I'll never forget how proud we both were of that team, not just because Lindsay was a born and bred Minnesotan, but because that team featured a bunch of Minnesotans and Janelle McCarville, who while from Wisconsin, was still a local girl in our eyes.

I also remember earlier that season a women's college basketball coach I know telling me that the Gophers of that season were one of the best passing teams he had ever seen. He commented on what a joy they were to watch because of their execution and ball-movement, which I took as an unbelievable compliment.

As for Whalen's career, what more can be said? She's done it all and cemented her status as the state's foremost basketball legend.

Top Bottom