STrib: Former Cooper quarterback Phillip Howard catching on for Gophers as receiver

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Randy:

Amid the issues that revealed themselves during the Gophers’ 31-24 loss to Maryland on Saturday — a pair of turnovers, a sluggish run game, several missed tackles and some kicking adventures — a bright spot emerged. That was the play of wide receiver Phillip Howard.

Howard, a redshirt freshman and former Robbinsdale Cooper standout, started the game in place of the injured Demetrius Douglas and led the Gophers with four receptions for 46 yards. The four catches gave him six for the season, and that ranks third on the team behind Tyler Johnson (15) and Douglas (11).

Howard is slated to start again when the Gophers face Purdue on Saturday in West Lafayette, Ind., and offensive coordinator Kirk Ciarrocca sees a player developing quickly.

“Phillip’s really done a great job of continuing to learn, taking advantage of every opportunity to learn and build from the meeting room to the practice field, from the practice field to the game field,” Ciarrocca said of Howard, who is not allowed to speak to the media because he’s a freshman. “If you think about springtime or training camp, he’s a much better player.”

http://m.startribune.com/former-coo...gophers-as-receiver/449488933/?section=sports

Go Gophers!!

Am I the only one who has thought for a while that Howard looks way more explosive and fluid than Douglas? I couldn't figure out why Douglas was playing over him after going to a practice and then seeing Douglas in the first couple weeks.

Am I the only one who has thought for a while that Howard looks way more explosive and fluid than Douglas? I couldn't figure out why Douglas was playing over him after going to a practice and then seeing Douglas in the first couple weeks.

I wouldn't go that far, but I like Howard quite a bit and think he will be pretty good for us by the time he's an upperclassmen.

Go for it Howard! Your chance to shine!

I wouldn't go that far, but I like Howard quite a bit and think he will be pretty good for us by the time he's an upperclassmen.

This. Not that I'm down on Douglas as a true freshman, but Howard has looked much more impressive in more limited opportunities.

This. Not that I'm down on Douglas as a true freshman, but Howard has looked much more impressive in more limited opportunities.

I like what I see in Howard. It was Howard who made the nasty stick on the Maryland player who intercepted the ball off Johnson's hands. The kid has grit.

I like what I see in Howard. It was Howard who made the nasty stick on the Maryland player who intercepted the ball off Johnson's hands. The kid has grit.

That was a great hit.

He absolutely stepped up given the opportunity...just like dozens of others over the past several years. Should be a nice compliment to Johnson, Carter (who also played well), Lingen and WOZ. Open up the play book and use these guys more.

I watched him in play for Cooper vs Irondale and he was truly a man among boys. He has a nice arm and when he ran the ball nobody had a chance to stop him. I agree he is a gritty player and has an effortless, smooth flowing gait that is deceiving. One of my favorite young players.

The way I look at them is Howard has more pure athletic ability. He flashes more while Douglas is a great route runner and a guy with excellent feel for the position. That may not have shined through as he is just a true freshman but I love the thought of him as a senior. Similar body types, different (but complimentary) skillsets. Same goes for CAB

I agree.

Both Howard and Douglas look like they could be great receivers. I wouldn't say that either looks better than the other. Both look like solid options at this point in time.

Many of us have been waiting for the Howard "break out." I hope continues to open up tomorrow. These WRs need to sync with the QB.

Many of us have been waiting for the Howard "break out." I hope continues to open up tomorrow. These WRs need to sync with the QB.

Agree. Hope the play book opens up on offense. Last week was about as vanilla as Buffalo.

Top Bottom