Jerry Kill's plan for fixing Rutgers offense: 'Run the same damn play over and over'

Maryland isn't good, neither is Purdue, Sparty is decent, the Illini well they kind of remind me of wounded knee

Maryland isn't good, neither is Purdue, Sparty is decent, the Illini well they kind of remind me of wounded knee

Have you watched Purdue play this year?
They look amazing (for Purdue).
This next game is a coin-flip at best.

Part of the reason they recover so many is they really stress to just fall on the ball. That is why Croft was benched earlier this year. It wasn't the fumble itself, it's the fact that he tried to pick it up instead of just falling on it.

I noted that when SB23 misplayed the final kickoff vs MD he scooped the ball and didn't just fall on it? It was obviously the right thing to do in that situation, but rules are rules and nothing is bigger than the culture.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I noted that when SB23 misplayed the final kickoff vs MD he scooped the ball and didn't just fall on it? It was obviously the right thing to do in that situation, but rules are rules and nothing is bigger than the culture.

If you are nothing else, you are consistent, Sir. :cool:

And our QB is not part of the team, not practicing with us, out indefinitely, we’ll never make exceptions, we’ll never compromise our culture until we realize it’s not going to work telling our QB he can’t run because he might hurt. So, we better bring back the suspended guy now...nobody will notice.

Ok. I really don't understand the point you are trying to make other than turnovers happen. Repeating the mantra seems to have worked at WMU. I guess I don't see a problem with that, especially considering the substance behind the mantra which I outlined above. Again, everything that I have heard him explain about the meaning relates back to making smart decisions with the football in specific situations to prevent turnovers, i.e., falling on the football, when to throw it away, etc. See WMU 2016. Guess I don't see what the problem with that is?

Also, for further explanation on fumbles/Croft Benching, see post below:

WMU was -7, +1, and +3 in turnover margin his first 3 years. There's no question it's an important stat and can be a huge momentum changer. MN was up and down during the K-C era, some years at +8 or 10, others -3 or -4. I think part of it is strength of schedule, part is luck, and part is player execution. WMU had a great turnover margin in 2016 but they had a senior-laden roster with a senior QB that wasn't careless. Any team that finishes +10 or higher probably had a pretty good year.

They didn’t look like the same team because Maryland was the first good team they played this season.

Except Maryland isn't good. I believe that you have referenced F/+ ratings here before - Maryland is 63. Even after the ****show that we trotted out last Saturday, we are 36. It was an inexcusable loss, especially at home.

As an aside, using advanced statistics, we are better-to-much better than 5 of the remaining 8 teams that we play, and in a virtual tie with Michigan State, who we play at home. There really is no excuse to be any worse than 4-5 in the conference. And, if we had handled Maryland like we should have, we'd have a very good shot at 6-3 or even 7-2. But winning games in 2021 (when Fleck might not even be here) is more important than winning games in 2017.

Michigan 8
Wisconsin 11
Michigan St. 35
Minnesota 36
Iowa 40
Nebraska 41
Northwestern 61
Maryland 63
Purdue 71
Illinois 102

I'm guessing there weren't defenders close to him? I don't remember the specifics of that play to be honest.

I also don't know the specific rule but there can be exceptions to it.

Except Maryland isn't good. I believe that you have referenced F/+ ratings here before - Maryland is 63. Even after the ****show that we trotted out last Saturday, we are 36. It was an inexcusable loss, especially at home.

As an aside, using advanced statistics, we are better-to-much better than 5 of the remaining 8 teams that we play, and in a virtual tie with Michigan State, who we play at home. There really is no excuse to be any worse than 4-5 in the conference. And, if we had handled Maryland like we should have, we'd have a very good shot at 6-3 or even 7-2. But winning games in 2021 (when Fleck might not even be here) is more important than winning games in 2017.

Michigan 8
Wisconsin 11
Michigan St. 35
Minnesota 36
Iowa 40
Nebraska 41
Northwestern 61
Maryland 63
Purdue 71
Illinois 102

Care to elaborate? Using buzz words like "advanced statistics" and not backing them up with what you used is kinda fishy.

I'm guessing there weren't defenders close to him? I don't remember the specifics of that play to be honest.

I also don't know the specific rule but there can be exceptions to it.

There's never exceptions in regards to culture[emoji57]

My bad, thought you were referring to another statistical model in the second part of the post.

I used the words "advanced statistics" because GopherWeatherGuy is a big fan of advanced statistics...unless they challenge his closely held beliefs.

Pretty sure PJ said "scoop and score" was a defensive player's option so a kick returner might have that freedom too.

Michigan 8
Wisconsin 11
Michigan St. 35
Minnesota 36
Iowa 40
Nebraska 41
Northwestern 61
Maryland 63
Purdue 71
Illinois 102

Computer loses all credibility with the bolded. Do computers take into account the abilities of the player vs player match-ups of the week to week opponents, injuries, mental mistakes, physical mistakes etc. etc.? Analytics are part of the equation.

Computer loses all credibility with the bolded. Do computers take into account the abilities of the player vs player match-ups of the week to week opponents, injuries, mental mistakes, physical mistakes etc. etc.? Analytics are part of the equation.

I'd love to see your model that's better. Thanks in advance for sharing it here with us.

Does any poll/ranking do that? So you agree with the other rankings but just not where the Gophs rank? Maybe go look at the whole list and see if you feel the same.

I'd love to see your model that's better. Thanks in advance for sharing it here with us.

It's sports, you don't need a computer to watch and make an opinion of the ability of a team. My model uses watching the games, it's all that is needed.

Does any poll/ranking do that? So you agree with the other rankings but just not where the Gophs rank? Maybe go look at the whole list and see if you feel the same.

All human polls take ability into account and compare on field results of teams when deciding who is better.

All human polls take ability into account and compare on field results of teams when deciding who is better.

They should just use a 3-year moving average of recruiting rankings.

It's sports, you don't need a computer to watch and make an opinion of the ability of a team. My model uses watching the games, it's all that is needed.

So because the computer doesn't agree with your own personal evaluation, that means it has no credibility?

So because the computer doesn't agree with your own personal evaluation, that means it has no credibility?

What gives a computer credibility?

Because you agree with it?

Maybe it is wrong...it can only be working with old data...

Pretty sure PJ said "scoop and score" was a defensive player's option so a kick returner might have that freedom too.

I can see why that is the option for a defensive player, because it is a chance to put points on the board for the team. If a defender isn't successful at the scoop and score and the offense recovers, we missed out on a chance for the ball, but we can still play D and finish off that series as no change of possession happened. Also, I would bet they also coach the D that if they are not successful with scooping it then they would want them to fall on it to gain the turnover.
A KOR is different in that we have possession of the ball, so a scoop and score mentality isn't needed because it is our ball. But due to it being a KO, if you muff the catch initially, there aren't going to be defenders near you if it is kicked deep, giving a player time to scoop the ball and advance it.

I can see why that is the option for a defensive player, because it is a chance to put points on the board for the team. If a defender isn't successful at the scoop and score and the offense recovers, we missed out on a chance for the ball, but we can still play D and finish off that series as no change of possession happened. Also, I would bet they also coach the D that if they are not successful with scooping it then they would want them to fall on it to gain the turnover.
A KOR is different in that we have possession of the ball, so a scoop and score mentality isn't needed because it is our ball. But due to it being a KO, if you muff the catch initially, there aren't going to be defenders near you if it is kicked deep, giving a player time to scoop the ball and advance it.

I just want the ball... i'm not a fan of going super conservative but if the ball is out fall on it would probabbly be my standard lecture ... aside maybe a deep kick or punt. I wouldn't risk missing a TO for a scoop and score.

Having said all that, JP seems to think differently and have different rules for different situations. Maybe kicks too.

Grandpa, can you hear us all the way back in 1992?

I somewhat agree with this, but I use the advanced stats to fill in knowledge gaps.

I remember in 2015 we had Iowa fans coming on here and legitimately claiming they were a playoff team. Their S&P+ ranking that year was similar to ours, which was borne out when we played them in Iowa City. I didn't see any eliteness, perhaps a solid Big Ten team. The were demolished by a high level Stanford team, a result anyone who had watched both teams could predict. Stanford is in some ways similar to Iowa in style, just a lot better and particularly that year.

Wins and losses can lie. The advanced stats were a predictor of their Rose Bowl fiasco, and the eye test supported that.

Top Bottom