Pioneer Press: Santoso will resume kicking duties

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Greder:

The Gophers will stick with Ryan Santoso for kickoffs against Purdue on Saturday in West Lafayette, Ind., coach P.J. Fleck said.

Santoso, who punts and has shared kickoff responsibilities with placekicker Emmit Carpenter this season, had two of five kickoffs go out of bounds in the 31-24 loss to Maryland on Saturday.

"I believe in our people and the talent we have," Fleck said. "Of course he's gonna kick."

Against Maryland, Santoso's opening kickoff went out of bounds, giving the Terrapins starting field position at their 35-yard line. That helped set up a 14-play drive that stalled with a Maryland delay of game penalty on third and goal from Minnesota's 2. The Gophers then stuffed a Maryland fake field goal attempt on fourth down.

http://www.winonadailynews.com/spor...cle_6c4d173e-dac8-52ad-835b-42de18060258.html

Go Gophers!!

This is good news

My recollection from a few years back was that Santoso was a real good place kicker and he hit a bunch of big pressure FGs and few very t long FGs so the decision to move him to punter and hand it over to the Freshman seemed very odd.

I guess it worked out, as Carpenter was really good, but I still think Santoso had NFL kicker talent.

Regardless, he had a bad day vs. Maryland and will bounce back so I am happy he is still kicking off.

I really don’t care who kicks off, just don’t kick it out of bounds. That shouldn’t be that hard

I really don’t care who kicks off, just don’t kick it out of bounds. That shouldn’t be that hahttp://www.forums.gopherhole.com/boards/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=1445571rd

Both kickers struggled with the swirling wind. At times, each flag on the top of the uprights blew in a different direction.

I really don’t care who kicks off, just don’t kick it out of bounds. That shouldn’t be that hard

The special teams coaches tend to get cute with these calls, and it is not al on the kickers.

There was some micro-managing involved. The team should have let the kicker bomb it down the middle, that means a Touchback.

Wind definitely caught the game-starting kickoff.

Santoso does try to hit the end zone corner to his left...and that was the goal for that kick...but a hell of a gust caught it at about the 10 yard line and pushed it waaayyy further left.

Pre-game scouting should have caught that I guess. However, in 212 we had much more wind from our left...which means swirling from the east...than seen in the 10 years in that section.

Coach should probably take some meteorological notes on this one. Interestingly the US Flag in the endzone was not moving. Very unusual.

The special teams coaches tend to get cute with these calls, and it is not al on the kickers.

There was some micro-managing involved. The team should have let the kicker bomb it down the middle, that means a Touchback.

This. Santoso can kick it out of the end zone every time. Why not do that? For every time they stop them at the 15 or 20 they will take it out to the 30 or 35. For every one at the 5 there is going to be one at the 50. Not worth it in my opinion.

Yep, my thoughts too. They are trying too hard to kick it into a corner and limit the return. It's obviously not working. Just boot it out of the end zone already.

Coach should probably take some meteorological notes on this one. Interestingly the US Flag in the endzone was not moving. Very unusual.

Maybe the flag is afraid to do anything anymore in this political climate?

Top Bottom