Q&A with Pitino - talks team leadership, Washington, Amir, Hurt, Harris, etc.

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Marcus:

Q: How has Amir Coffey improved?

A: He just looks different from a mentality standpoint. He just looks like that light has gone on as it pertains to little things. Maybe it’s a warmup drill that last year he had no interest in. Not that he didn’t work hard. But you can tell he’s taking the next step from a habit standpoint. I’m looking at him to where ‘you understand you can play basketball for a long time. You tasted success and you want more of it.’ It’s in front of him. He’s been really, really working hard. He went to Nike Skills Camp (this summer). That was good for him. Obviously, to have a really good freshman year. He should have terrific, terrific confidence. I think that he will play in the NBA. I think that’s realistic. But there are a lot of steps that go towards it. It just comes down to he took a great first step. He did a good job with the freshmen year. He had a step in high school and AAU where he was really, really good. If he continues to do that, yeah I think he has a future in the NBA.

Q: Can you talk about the other freshman guard, Jamir Harris?

A: Terrific, terrific three-point shooter. He goes along with it seems like every year I have an undersized two-guard who takes horrific shots. He’s filling in well with that. Actually, he doesn’t take too many bad shots. Unlimited range. Plays so hard. Great kid. He’s just getting a feel for the offense. And when he does look out.

Q: Will Michael Hurt help this year?

A: He needs to help. With Eric going down it changes everything. We don’t have anybody at the backup four really to fill that void. So now Michael and Davonte (Fitzgerald) are going to need to play minutes in those spots. We’ve been trying to work with them on that.

Q: How do you feel about Washington being so big on social media?

A: He’s more of an Instagram guy than a Twitter guy. But I tell you what, if he ever gets in trouble. I know what I’ll do to punish him, and that’s Instagram. It’s interesting with him about that. It’s a real cool story about the Jelly Fam. I really don’t know what the hell it is. If he does it during a game and it gets blocked it’s going to be a problem. When we practice everybody is trying to block his shot and the coaches are hoping it gets blocked. But honestly it’s cool because the throwback New York City players have all left their high schools and go to these prep schools. Not a lot of kids stay at home. And Isaiah relished that. People say you don’t play on the playgrounds anymore. Isaiah loved playing on the playgrounds.

So he’s this throwback point guard. It’s just amazing. I’ll go out recruiting and kids are doing it. They’re doing the jelly and all that stuff. It’s unbelievable. So there’s something there. I told him, ‘You did something great. Now let’s use it the right way.’

Q: What’s the relationship like between Mason and Washington?

A: Terrific. That’s a concern when you’ve got a point guard like Isaiah who comes in with Nate. How is it going to work? And they’re really, really close. I think Isaiah has that personality and Nate’s got that confidence that they both want to make each other better. Dupree (McBrayer) being hurt has helped (them play together in practice). I’ve done different lineups and put them together. Looked pretty good.

Lots more here:

http://www.startribune.com/richard-...-and-expectations-to-open-practice/449340893/

Go Gophers!!

per Marcus:

Q: How has Amir Coffey improved?

A: He just looks different from a mentality standpoint. He just looks like that light has gone on as it pertains to little things. Maybe it’s a warmup drill that last year he had no interest in. Not that he didn’t work hard. But you can tell he’s taking the next step from a habit standpoint. I’m looking at him to where ‘you understand you can play basketball for a long time. You tasted success and you want more of it.’ It’s in front of him. He’s been really, really working hard. He went to Nike Skills Camp (this summer). That was good for him. Obviously, to have a really good freshman year. He should have terrific, terrific confidence. I think that he will play in the NBA. I think that’s realistic. But there are a lot of steps that go towards it. It just comes down to he took a great first step. He did a good job with the freshmen year. He had a step in high school and AAU where he was really, really good. If he continues to do that, yeah I think he has a future in the NBA.

Q: Can you talk about the other freshman guard, Jamir Harris?

A: Terrific, terrific three-point shooter. He goes along with it seems like every year I have an undersized two-guard who takes horrific shots. He’s filling in well with that. Actually, he doesn’t take too many bad shots. Unlimited range. Plays so hard. Great kid. He’s just getting a feel for the offense. And when he does look out.

Q: Will Michael Hurt help this year?

A: He needs to help. With Eric going down it changes everything. We don’t have anybody at the backup four really to fill that void. So now Michael and Davonte (Fitzgerald) are going to need to play minutes in those spots. We’ve been trying to work with them on that.

Q: How do you feel about Washington being so big on social media?

A: He’s more of an Instagram guy than a Twitter guy. But I tell you what, if he ever gets in trouble. I know what I’ll do to punish him, and that’s Instagram. It’s interesting with him about that. It’s a real cool story about the Jelly Fam. I really don’t know what the hell it is. If he does it during a game and it gets blocked it’s going to be a problem. When we practice everybody is trying to block his shot and the coaches are hoping it gets blocked. But honestly it’s cool because the throwback New York City players have all left their high schools and go to these prep schools. Not a lot of kids stay at home. And Isaiah relished that. People say you don’t play on the playgrounds anymore. Isaiah loved playing on the playgrounds.

So he’s this throwback point guard. It’s just amazing. I’ll go out recruiting and kids are doing it. They’re doing the jelly and all that stuff. It’s unbelievable. So there’s something there. I told him, ‘You did something great. Now let’s use it the right way.’

Q: What’s the relationship like between Mason and Washington?

A: Terrific. That’s a concern when you’ve got a point guard like Isaiah who comes in with Nate. How is it going to work? And they’re really, really close. I think Isaiah has that personality and Nate’s got that confidence that they both want to make each other better. Dupree (McBrayer) being hurt has helped (them play together in practice). I’ve done different lineups and put them together. Looked pretty good.

Lots more here:

http://www.startribune.com/richard-...-and-expectations-to-open-practice/449340893/

Go Gophers!!

That earned a simultaneous LOL and a solemn head nod from me.

That earned a simultaneous LOL and a solemn head nod from me.

Did it look like this:

tumblr_m09plvItq51rqfhi2o1_400.gif

or this:

giphy.gif

or this:

d8818e2d5ddaf3c20baec58396b0b5fe.gif

Go Gophers!!

Really hoping Fitz can be the guy and we don't need to rely on Hurt much.

Really hoping Fitz can be the guy and we don't need to rely on Hurt much.

Im sure one of them will emerge and get the primary backup minutes, and I'm thinking that will be Hurt.

Did it look like this:

tumblr_m09plvItq51rqfhi2o1_400.gif

or this:

giphy.gif

or this:

d8818e2d5ddaf3c20baec58396b0b5fe.gif

Go Gophers!!

Way too funny, haha. Thanks for posting.

I can't think of MN coaches in any sport who give as interesting/insightful of an interview as Pitino other than maybe PJ.

"It’s a real cool story about the Jelly Fam. I really don’t know what the hell it is."

Neither do I.

Anyone?

Way too funny, haha. Thanks for posting.

I can't think of MN coaches in any sport who give as interesting/insightful of an interview as Pitino other than maybe PJ.
I iiked Fleck's pressers in the beginning as I learned his buzzwords and I think he's pretty dynamic. But he wears on me, says the same things over and over. I understand why, but given the choice, I'll take 5 minutes of Pitino over 10 minutes of PJ. Way more content in the 5 minutes of Pitino.

I like the bit on Washington. Sounds like Pitino likes his large social media influence, but has also let him know that show boating in games will not be tolerated. Like that he said everyone in practice is trying to block his shots....if that carries over to games, that could lead to a lot of fouls.

I iiked Fleck's pressers in the beginning as I learned his buzzwords and I think he's pretty dynamic. But he wears on me, says the same things over and over. I understand why, but given the choice, I'll take 5 minutes of Pitino over 10 minutes of PJ. Way more content in the 5 minutes of Pitino.

I can't disagree with that.

+1000

Fleck is very much into the cliches. Pitino is one of the more transparent coaches, and includes some sarcasm/wit into his conversations.

Top Bottom