LSU Posters Want Fleck

False. Twelve of the 21 signees made their commitment after Kill retired, including Kiondre Thomas, Merrick Jackson, Taiyon Devers, Coney Durr, Garrison Wright, Antoine Winfield, Kobe McCrary, Mark Williams, and Donnell Greene - all guys who are starting or have at least seen the field during their second year in the program.

This is patently false. Twenty-one of the 26 signees were brought in by Fleck in the last month before signing day.

Many coaches have their first full recruiting class as their best one, when they can sell excitement, enthusiasm, playing time, and being part of a "new era." I'm impressed with the offer lists of some of the recruits, and that we're getting some out-of-state guys that we don't typically get. Nonetheless, I'm not impressed that we will end the year ranked in the 40s nationally, a very mild improvement over a typical Kill/Claeys class. This is especially the case when one of the cited reasons for firing Claeys was his recruiting and Fleck is supposed to be a transcendent recruiter.

12 of the signings may have come after Kill left, but I'm guessing the majority were recruited under his regime. I even remember a lot of discussion around the Claeys hiring being that they didnt want to lose ground in recruiting. Basically, he mopped up the guys Kill had lined up...theres not a problem in doing that BTW.

21 of 26 guys were recruited in a month to fill out a class, and you are using that as a detriment to his recruiting abilities by bringing up his recruiting points compared to Claey's?! He had one month to salvage a class that had so few committed.

IIRC Fleck cut loose every out of state recruit we had. There were several other players that decommitted earlier because their dream school offered, or an SEC school closer to home offered and presumably the precarious position Claeys was in didn't help. We'll never know how the class ends up under Claeys. Rumor has it he had his hands in the perplexing QB recruiting and vetoed Taamu which is mind boggling IMO. There were concerning signs, sure.

Moot point, this is Fleck's baby now. Plenty of time before signing day for additions and subtractions.

List of decommitted
https://minnesota.247sports.com/Season/2017-Football/Decommits

21 of 26 guys were recruited in a month to fill out a class, and you are using that as a detriment to his recruiting abilities by bringing up his recruiting points compared to Claey's?! He had one month to salvage a class that had so few committed.

Yep. PJ did a lot of good work in a month's time. I don't think DPO said anything to the contrary. Pretty sure he was responding to this nugget...

the Fleck class of 2017 is more of a Claeys class.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Coyle also said that Claeys was fired because of recruiting.

247 team recruiting points/avg rating

Claeys 2016 - 182.22/.8391
Fleck 2017 - 171.42/.8324
Fleck 2018 - 176.98/.8426

I'm pretty sure we didn't need to (more than) double the coach's salary to get a 4.2% improvement in points per recruit.

This "comparing" Claeys recruiting is ridiculous. You have to be retarded to think Claeys is even 50% responsible for the 2016 class. 90% of that class was going to commit to MN whether Claeys or Sawvel was the head coach. They were committing to Jerry Kill's program. When Claeys had a full year to recruit, he sucked, and to quote you, "the first year is usually the best!" Hell, Fleck was light years better in 1 fricking month than Claeys was in a full year!

Yep. PJ did a lot of good work in a month's time. I don't think DPO said anything to the contrary. Pretty sure he was responding to this nugget...

um, no. He was using that 2017 class as a detriment to Fleck's recruiting, all while ignoring the coach came in with a month to fill a ****ty class left by the previous regime.

With the Athletes Village opening in January, this next full recruiting cycle will be huge. We should learn a lot about what impact the facilities have on recruiting (assuming a hohum record for football, as it looks we'll likely have; I just want 6 regular season wins so we get the extra practices, rest is gravy).

Super classy. Since when did it become acceptable again to use this hateful word?

to think Claeys is even 50% responsible for the 2016 class

I agree, I didn't say it was 50%. He was the head coach when more than half of the class committed, was the defensive coordinator when all of the defensive recruits committed, and was the head coach when all of them signed. I'd say he was about 85-90% responsible for it.

90% of that class was going to commit to MN whether Claeys or Sawvel was the head coach.

Huh? There was never any potential for Sawvel to be the head coach.

They were committing to Jerry Kill's program.

The 12 recruits who committed after Jerry Kill retired were committing to Jerry Kill's program?!? Holy balls! Congratulations! You've just typed possibly the stupidest ****ing thing that anyone has ever typed on this board!
Kudos!

Did the guys who have committed this year do so because they were committing to Tracy Claeys' program? That makes as much sense as what you said.

When Claeys had a full year to recruit

Claeys never had a full year to recruit.

Nonetheless, I'm not impressed that we will end the year ranked in the 40s nationally, a very mild improvement over a typical Kill/Claeys class. This is especially the case when one of the cited reasons for firing Claeys was his recruiting and Fleck is supposed to be a transcendent recruiter.

I think time will tell. Will his classes get better each season? Or is he going to sit in the 40's just about every year?

um, no. He was using that 2017 class as a detriment to Fleck's recruiting, all while ignoring the coach came in with a month to fill a ****ty class left by the previous regime.

Um, no. In fact, he didn't even mention the downturn in avg ranking in PJ's 2017 class - he only mentioned the very minor (0.42%) uptick in Fleck's current class. Look harder.

Getting back to the 3 points you made...

Kill had been gone for 3 months on the day the 2016 class signed, the majority of the kids committed after Kill left, but you still call it a Kill class. Brilliant.

Claeys was fired over a month before signing day 2017, yet we are to assume he wasn't going to add additional players on that last month too? How do you know they wouldn't have been good players? Looking at his class ranking a month before signing day last year is about as valuable as all that praising of PJ's class ranking this summer.

2018 isn't complete. It could end up being great. As far as avg rankings go - at this time it is where it always is. Does that mean it isn't better - hell no as rankings are virtually worthless, but as DPO said +0.42% at this time. But, we can't expect better in year one.

I get folks want PJ to be better than TC. I think we all hope for that. I believe he will be more successful on the field and will ultimately recruit better. But all the people that love those rankings are scrambling hard to find ways to justify why they haven't got better yet. IMO, all the HYPRR, NEKTON, HOWPHER, and geese decoys in the world won't do that - winning will.

Down in Gainesville for LSU/Florida today. I'll try to get a boots on the ground report on who LSU fans most covet and whether they would be excited by Fleck.

This thread reminds me of nerds slap fighting...

This thread reminds me of nerds slap fighting...

I love it!!!

Another thread turns into a Kill/Claeys vs PJ ....
6ca90e13b3ea87bfcd8873e9995c0f33.gif

I love it!!!

Another thread turns into a Kill/Claeys vs PJ ..

There are lots of threads about Fleck. Makes sense. Some are critical of Fleck. Makes sense. As soon as someone is critical of PJ, someone else gets defensive and turns it into a comparison to the previous staff. Rinse. Repeat.

There are lots of threads about Fleck. Makes sense. Some are critical of Fleck. Makes sense. As soon as someone is critical of PJ, someone else gets defensive and turns it into a comparison to the previous staff. Rinse. Repeat.

As soon as someone praises something about Fleck someone decides to crap all over it. Same folks on both sides every time. The nerd slap fight thing fits 100%.

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk

I think time will tell. Will his classes get better each season? Or is he going to sit in the 40's just about every year?

I agree but dpo's point about a new coach's first class frequently being their best out of their initial several classes is valid as well.

As soon as someone praises something about Fleck someone decides to crap all over it. Same folks on both sides every time. The nerd slap fight thing fits 100%.

Maybe true, but that wasn't the discussion. Crapping on a PJ praise and starting a PJ vs TC debate are too different things. The post I responded to was about PJ vs TC debates not folks crapping on PJ praises.

Maybe true, but that wasn't the discussion. Crapping on a PJ praise and starting a PJ vs TC debate are too different things. The post I responded to was about PJ vs TC debates not folks crapping on PJ praises.

RTB!

Top Bottom