LSU Posters Want Fleck

Claeys wasn't fired for losing games, that's for sure. Coyle fired him so he could bring in his own guy, Fleck (which he had every right to do as a new AD). Coyle just used the scandal as a way to make himself look like a savior of the program when it wasn't really needed and most fans saw right through it. It just made Coyle look bad.

This

I think of this as something like the B1G's supposed instance that new members meet some academic standards.

It's a thing... right up until it suddenly isn't.

They haven't brought anyone in who didn't meet those standards. Nebraska backslid and fell below those requirements after they were in, but what would you have them do? Kick them out of the conference?

He said "fired" for losing games.

Brewster was fired. (for losing games)
Interim dude doesn't count.
Kill wasn't fired.
Claeys was fired (for losing games, especially in the 4th quarter). Coyle stated that as a factor.
Sure, mix in the whole scandal thing too if you want.

People on here are funny. One minute they want to blame Claeys' firing on the scandal, the next day they don't want say that's the reason.

Not a single person except those with an agenda blame the "scandal" for Claeys' firing. That plainly wasn't the reason.

They haven't brought anyone in who didn't meet those standards. Nebraska backslid and fell below those requirements after they were in, but what would you have them do? Kick them out of the conference?

Maybe make their cut of money from the Big Ten Conference smaller?

I wouldn't, but I doubt the B1G cares either.

Like I said it is a nice idea / unwritten or written rule (just a theory even?) to have right up until it gets in the way and then whatever. It isn't really tested until they're faced with needing to ignore it.

I wouldn't, but I doubt the B1G cares either.

Like I said it is a nice idea / unwritten or written rule (just a theory even?) to have right up until it gets in the way and then whatever. It isn't really tested until they're faced with needing to ignore it.

Again, they didn't ignore it. They applied the rule and it didn't get in the way of anything.

Funny that in another post a Purdue fan stated that he thinks Fleck is in for the long haul and he is worried that Brohm will leave for Louisville at first chance.

As others have stated. There is a reason MN was on his list of jobs. He wanted a place to instill his culture. Some of these Helmet Schools have cultures much bigger than the coach.

Funny that in another post a Purdue fan stated that he thinks Fleck is in for the long haul and he is worried that Brohm will leave for Louisville at first chance.

As others have stated. There is a reason MN was on his list of jobs. He wanted a place to instill his culture. Some of these Helmet Schools have cultures much bigger than the coach.

Every non blue blood is always worried about that.

We should be lucky to have such a problem.

That's why during the interview process Fleck asked Coyle, "you want me to be me, right?"

Proud of finally having an AD who went out and made the big hire, and then be smart enough to step into the background and let the coach be the face of the program. So smart.

That's why during the interview process Fleck asked Coyle, "you want me to be me, right?"

Proud of finally having an AD who went out and made the big hire, and then be smart enough to step into the background and let the coach be the face of the program. So smart.

Ms. Coyle... take it easy.

Have there been cases at the U in which the AD did not allow this to happen?

He said "fired" for losing games.

Brewster was fired. (for losing games)
Interim dude doesn't count.
Kill wasn't fired.
Claeys was fired (for losing games, especially in the 4th quarter). Coyle stated that as a factor.
Sure, mix in the whole scandal thing too if you want.

People on here are funny. One minute they want to blame Claeys' firing on the scandal, the next day they don't want say that's the reason.

Coyle also said that Claeys was fired due to lagging ticket sales. That's why they're currently building the third deck and you've pretty much got to be related to a player to get in the Bank.

Coyle also said that Claeys was fired due to lagging ticket sales. That's why they're currently building the third deck and you've pretty much got to be related to a player to get in the Bank.

Coyle also said that Claeys was fired because of recruiting.

247 team recruiting points/avg rating

Claeys 2016 - 182.22/.8391
Fleck 2017 - 171.42/.8324
Fleck 2018 - 176.98/.8426

I'm pretty sure we didn't need to (more than) double the coach's salary to get a 4.2% improvement in points per recruit.

Why do some posters keep bringing up the amount of money Fleck makes? What a bunch of BS! Doesn't he make middle of the pack BIG money? What the hell do you people want? You want a coach making bottom of the BIG money?

I'm pretty sure we didn't need to (more than) double the coach's salary to get a 4.2% improvement in points per recruit.

0.42%, right? Either way, will that extra make us more talented than MD -or at least close enough to compete in the future?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

0.42%, right? Either way, will that extra make us more talented than MD -or at least close enough to compete in the future?

Break the news gently...4 stages of grief

<iframe src="https://giphy.com/embed/FEikw3bXVHdMk" width="480" height="360" frameBorder="0" class="giphy-embed" allowFullScreen></iframe><p><a href="https://giphy.com/gifs/epic-hell-no-FEikw3bXVHdMk">via GIPHY</a></p>

I'm giving him one or two more classes before this becomes a concern for me. I guess I'm blessed with patience :cool:

Our recruiting class rankings have always sucked. A lot of that is a function of population. We don't live in a place where a lot of football scouts reside so even when we attract elite local talent, they don't move the needle. This concern about recruiting class rankings is completely irrelevant. Winning with 2 stars is just as fun as winning with 5 stars. Just win. Judging Fleck (or Claeys) on his recruiting class rankings is among the most pointless metrics you could use.

Our recruiting class rankings have always sucked. A lot of that is a function of population. We don't live in a place where a lot of football scouts reside so even when we attract elite local talent, they don't move the needle. This concern about recruiting class rankings is completely irrelevant. Winning with 2 stars is just as fun as winning with 5 stars. Just win. Judging Fleck (or Claeys) on his recruiting class rankings is among the most pointless metrics you could use.

Oh boy. You have done it now. I am going to bed.

I can't believe the trolls that are on this board ripping Fleck's first recruiting class after he had maybe 3 weeks to recruit.

Can't an admin ban people for making such ridiculous comparisons?

I can't believe the trolls that are on this board ripping Fleck's first recruiting class after he had maybe 3 weeks to recruit.

Can't an admin ban people for making such ridiculous comparisons?

If we're banning people for making ridiculous comparisons, you'd have been gone a long time ago. :drink:

If PJF is successful, I'd worry more about Notre Dame poaching him than LSU. PJF is a Midwest guy.

Who knows. If he is really successful, why leave? He's got everything here.

If PJF is successful, I'd worry more about Notre Dame poaching him than LSU. PJF is a Midwest guy.

Yeah, he's such a Midwest guy that he spent a total of one day as the Offensive Coordinator at NIU before bolting for Tampa to be a WR coach. He'll go where the money is.
As would I.

Yeah, he's such a Midwest guy that he spent a total of one day as the Offensive Coordinator at NIU before bolting for Tampa to be a WR coach. He'll go where the money is.
As would I.

Offensive Coordinator at Northern Illinois is not the same as being a Big Ten head coach at Minnesota.

I agree that he will go wherever the money is, but he is in a pretty good position at Minnesota right now. I could see Michigan or Notre Dame as potential destinations. Never say never this day in age.

That 2016 class is more of a Kill class than a Claeys class, and the Fleck class of 2017 is more of a Claeys class. I don't have much of an excuse for 2018, other than its early still, and its his first real class for the Gophers.

Been saying that for months when it's come up. If he's sitting at 26+ wins after year three (2019), U will back up the brinks truck for an extension.

That 2016 class is more of a Kill class than a Claeys class

False. Twelve of the 21 signees made their commitment after Kill retired, including Kiondre Thomas, Merrick Jackson, Taiyon Devers, Coney Durr, Garrison Wright, Antoine Winfield, Kobe McCrary, Mark Williams, and Donnell Greene - all guys who are starting or have at least seen the field during their second year in the program.

and the Fleck class of 2017 is more of a Claeys class

This is patently false. Twenty-one of the 26 signees were brought in by Fleck in the last month before signing day.

I don't have much of an excuse for 2018, other than its early still, and its his first real class for the Gophers.

Many coaches have their first full recruiting class as their best one, when they can sell excitement, enthusiasm, playing time, and being part of a "new era." I'm impressed with the offer lists of some of the recruits, and that we're getting some out-of-state guys that we don't typically get. Nonetheless, I'm not impressed that we will end the year ranked in the 40s nationally, a very mild improvement over a typical Kill/Claeys class. This is especially the case when one of the cited reasons for firing Claeys was his recruiting and Fleck is supposed to be a transcendent recruiter.

That 2016 class is more of a Kill class than a Claeys class, and the Fleck class of 2017 is more of a Claeys class. I don't have much of an excuse for 2018, other than its early still, and its his first real class for the Gophers.

And so the rationalizing goes.

Top Bottom