Fleck on Tanner Morgan: “He’s getting a lot better...I don’t want to have to pull RS"

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Fleck on Tanner Morgan: “He’s getting a lot better...I don’t want to have to pull RS"

per Randy:

• Fleck reiterated his desire to redshirt true freshman quarterback Tanner Morgan. “He’s getting a lot better,” the coach said. “… I don’t want to have to pull his redshirt. I’m pulling enough redshirts.”

http://www.startribune.com/quarterb...-but-can-he-boost-the-running-game/449306093/

Go Gophers!!

PJ has noted a couple guys along with Tanner that he said he will refuse to pull their red shirt.

Can't pull the redshirts. We need Croft to get with the program and help lead with Rhoda for this year. Tanner needs to get better and stronger for the future.

I find this interesting. Supposedly, the QB depth chart now is Rhoda - Green - Croft - Morgan. And yet, Fleck talks about potentially pulling Morgan's redshirt if something happens to Rhoda. That suggests that he believes Morgan is the true 2nd-best option - regardless of what the depth chart says. (yes, I know that's shocking...)

I do NOT want Rhoda to get hurt - but it would be interesting to see what happens in that scenario. Who comes in the Game - Green - Croft - Morgan - Rodney Smith running the Wildcat (hopefully better than Jerick McKinnon.....)

The fact that Fleck is terrified of Rhoda getting hurt, who would be a 2nd or 3rd string QB on most other B1G teams, tells you all you need to know about our QB situation, and Seth Green.

I find this interesting. Supposedly, the QB depth chart now is Rhoda - Green - Croft - Morgan. And yet, Fleck talks about potentially pulling Morgan's redshirt if something happens to Rhoda. That suggests that he believes Morgan is the true 2nd-best option - regardless of what the depth chart says. (yes, I know that's shocking...)

I do NOT want Rhoda to get hurt - but it would be interesting to see what happens in that scenario. Who comes in the Game - Green - Croft - Morgan - Rodney Smith running the Wildcat (hopefully better than Jerick McKinnon.....)

I think it is more just that Fleck won't play Croft even if Rhoda were to get hurt than Morgan actually being the true #2. True #3 maybe.

I'm sure this statement from PJ makes Seth feel great about his situation. My money is on Seth transferring out as it appears from things PJ has said that he is pushing Seth that way. Not the right QB style for what PJ wants.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Says Rhoda won't run! ?????

If Fleck doesn't want him to run at all, the offensive game plan needs to be adjusted or it will be a long day on both sides of the ball. I assume Purdue will come with 8 in the box.

I'm sure this statement from PJ makes Seth feel great about his situation. My money is on Seth transferring out as it appears from things PJ has said that he is pushing Seth that way. Not the right QB style for what PJ wants.

I doubt it. He was the backup QB in two D1 games as a true Freshman. One of the two games was a Big-Ten game. With that, he has already accomplished more at the U as an athlete than anywhere else so far. I don't know that there is much reason for him to be feeling anything but great about his ability to compete for the starting QB role next year and beyond.

Of course, elite college athletes don't ever have the same whiney, entitled outlook towards having to compete to win as the average middle-age corporate accountant that posts POVs like the one you just did.

I doubt it. He was the backup QB in two D1 games as a true Freshman. One of the two games was a Big-Ten game. With that, he has already accomplished more at the U as an athlete than anywhere else so far. I don't know that there is much reason for him to be feeling anything but great about his ability to compete for the starting QB role next year and beyond.

Of course, elite college athletes don't ever have the same whiney, entitled outlook towards having to compete to win as the average middle-age corporate accountant that posts POVs like the one you just did.

Ignoring your last paragraph - I was speaking about PJ repeatedly mentioning how devastating it would be if Rhoda got hurt and how he hopes he can keep the redshirt on Morgan. If you don't think Green notices those things you are being naive.

I doubt it. He was the backup QB in two D1 games as a <b>true Freshman. </b>One of the two games was a Big-Ten game. With that, he has already accomplished more at the U as an athlete than anywhere else so far. I don't know that there is much reason for him to be feeling anything but great about his ability to compete for the starting QB role next year and beyond.

He is also not a true freshman, BTW.
Time will tell if my prediction is right.

Ignoring your last paragraph - I was speaking about PJ repeatedly mentioning how devastating it would be if Rhoda got hurt and how he hopes he can keep the redshirt on Morgan. If you don't think Green notices those things you are being naive.

You don't think that when he talks about having to burn Tanner's redshirt IF Rhoda gets hurt he is simply not willing to go into any game without at least being prepared to use a backup at the most important position on the field?

IF Rhoda gets hurt I would see Seth being the starter and Tanner the backup to be used only if Seth goes down or to split time if Rhoda's injury is season ending and the likelihood of getting through 6-8 games without ever needing the backup to play is low.

You don't think that when he talks about having to burn Tanner's redshirt IF Rhoda gets hurt he is simply not willing to go into any game without at least being prepared to use a backup at the most important position on the field?

IF Rhoda gets hurt I would see Seth being the starter and Tanner the backup to be used only if Seth goes down or to split time if Rhoda's injury is season ending and the likelihood of getting through 6-8 games without ever needing the backup to play is low.

Aren't you forgetting Croft. Wouldn't he have to go down too in your scenario?
Just my take on what I hear. I don't hear confidence towards Green coming from the coach. I know he (strong runner, inaccurate passer) doesn't match PJ's preference in style. I simply wouldn't be surprised if he transfers out. Wouldn't be the first to do so here and if he does it after this year he will have 2 to play elsewhere. Maybe he switches positions instead? Maybe he stays and accepts being buried on the depth chart. Maybe he becomes the greatest QB in Gopher history. All I am saying is I think PJ is transparent in his thoughts RE Green.

With Croft back in the mix, I think things will be fine. I do think part of how Fleck discussed this is him sending a public message to Croft.

Just my take on what I hear. I don't hear confidence towards Green coming from the coach. I know he (strong runner, inaccurate passer) doesn't match PJ's preference in style. I simply wouldn't be surprised if he transfers out. Wouldn't be the first to do so here and if he does it after this year he will have 2 to play elsewhere. Maybe he switches positions instead? Maybe he stays and accepts being buried on the depth chart. Maybe he becomes the greatest QB in Gopher history. All I am saying is I think PJ is transparent in his thoughts RE Green.

Is Croft available to play and I had not heard? If he is out indefinitely you could not use him. Do you really think PJ's the kind of guy who would bring back Croft before he works out whatever his personal issue is just because it's expedient?

Is Croft available to play and I had not heard? If he is out indefinitely you could not use him. Do you really think PJ's the kind of guy who would bring back Croft before he works out whatever his personal issue is just because it's expedient?

Croft is back with team and has been practicing this week - since before this presser.

Makes me think Fleck thinks there's a lot of untapped potential in Green to be pretty good at QB. Otherwise, I'd think he'd try to move Green to get him on the field...no question Green is a ton of athletic ability.

Makes me think Fleck thinks there's a lot of untapped potential in Green to be pretty good at QB. Otherwise, I'd think he'd try to move Green to get him on the field...no question Green is a ton of athletic ability.

Also a possibility - for sure. Not my first theory, but just as likely.

Green is still at QB to save Morgan’s redshirt. I’ll bet good money he’ll never be a viable QB candidate at MN.

For the umpteenth time: Green will never be a serviceable B10 QB. If he wants to see the field, he must switch positions. He was given a schollie based on his athleticism and being "one of us". Would love to see him at TE or OLB, but the QB talk is crazy to anyone has seen him practice or play the position.

PJ says they outright tell the players where they stand on the depth chart.

I don't think PJ's public statements are news to Green.

I'm sure Green knows that if he plays better he could get the job.

That's pretty much the status of every guy on every college team....

PJ says they outright tell the players where they stand on the depth chart.

I don't think PJ's public statements are news to Green.

I'm sure Green knows that if he plays better he could get the job.

That's pretty much the status of every guy on every college team....

Some guys need a pat on the back, some need a kick in the pants. I sincerely wish PJ would refrain from going on about Croft in public. We get you're making an example out of him and that's very important to set his tone. Perhaps it was pot or simply not doing his civic engagement requirements or just being a minute late but someone could reasonably assume it's much worse if he's been off the team and not even practicing.

Telling the public we're in a bad spot if Rhoda goes down and Green comes in may be true, but you don't have to say it out loud to defend your coaching decisions.

Some guys need a pat on the back, some need a kick in the pants. I sincerely wish PJ would refrain from going on about Croft in public. We get you're making an example out of him and that's very important to set his tone. Perhaps it was pot or simply not doing his civic engagement requirements or just being a minute late but someone could reasonably assume it's much worse if he's been off the team and not even practicing.

Telling the public we're in a bad spot if Rhoda goes down and Green comes in may be true, but you don't have to say it out loud to defend your coaching decisions.

I don't know about you but I think a lot of fans think the press conferences are exactly about "defend your coaching decisions" or at least explain them.

For the umpteenth time: Green will never be a serviceable B10 QB. If he wants to see the field, he must switch positions. He was given a schollie based on his athleticism and being "one of us". Would love to see him at TE or OLB, but the QB talk is crazy to anyone has seen him practice or play the position.
You act like you would know. You don't know anymore than anyone else on this board.

Making definitive statements about a redshirt freshman show you have a bias against him for some reason.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I'm not sure how you can say that. In the practices and spring game that I went to, he was fine. Not dreadful, not amazing. Made a couple decent completions, a some incompletions and a few nice runs. He is only a RS freshman, has plenty of more time to develop and is by far the most physically gifted QB in the roster in terms of size, arm strength and speed.

Didn't you say Demry isn't all that good either and we win one more game with him? I'm not sure how you know that either. In the spring game and practices that I saw as well as several others reports from practices, Demry was the better QB and i didn't see enough in the actual games to say he wasn't a good QB. I'm not even sold that Rhoda is a better pure passer than Croft is let alone a better overall QB.

Top Bottom