STrib: Quarterback Demry Croft back with Gophers, but can he boost the running game?

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Randy:

The return of Croft — should he see action — could give the Gophers a threat in the run game. In the 31-24 loss to Maryland on Saturday, the Gophers struggled to run the ball, mustering only 80 yards on 31 carries. The Terrapins stacked the interior against running backs Rodney Smith (18 carries, 35 yards) and Shannon Brooks (12 carries, 39 yards), and Rhoda offered little threat to stretch the defense. He rushed once for 6 yards.

Fleck made it clear that he wants a healthy Rhoda.

“We’re doing everything we can to not run Conor,” Fleck said. “… We have to make sure we keep Conor upright, keep him healthy, continue to get him to distribute the ball, continue to develop the other quarterbacks behind him.”

Rhoda has carried nine times for 9 yards this season, while Croft had seven carries for 96 yards — most of that on a 64-yard touchdown run at Oregon State, his last game before being suspended.

Fleck stressed that improvement in the running game means improvement in all facets.

“We’ve got to run the ball better. We’re going to do what our offensive linemen can do,” he said. “… For us to run the ball better, guys on the outside have to make better plays. We don’t have the fifth-year senior who’s caught 120 balls and you can say, ‘I’m going to rely on that bell cow.’ “

http://www.startribune.com/quarterb...-but-can-he-boost-the-running-game/449306093/

Go Gophers!!

per Randy:

The return of Croft — should he see action — could give the Gophers a threat in the run game. In the 31-24 loss to Maryland on Saturday, the Gophers struggled to run the ball, mustering only 80 yards on 31 carries. The Terrapins stacked the interior against running backs Rodney Smith (18 carries, 35 yards) and Shannon Brooks (12 carries, 39 yards), and Rhoda offered little threat to stretch the defense. He rushed once for 6 yards.

Fleck made it clear that he wants a healthy Rhoda.

“We’re doing everything we can to not run Conor,” Fleck said. “… We have to make sure we keep Conor upright, keep him healthy, continue to get him to distribute the ball, continue to develop the other quarterbacks behind him.”

Rhoda has carried nine times for 9 yards this season, while Croft had seven carries for 96 yards — most of that on a 64-yard touchdown run at Oregon State, his last game before being suspended.

Fleck stressed that improvement in the running game means improvement in all facets.

“We’ve got to run the ball better. We’re going to do what our offensive linemen can do,” he said. “… For us to run the ball better, guys on the outside have to make better plays. We don’t have the fifth-year senior who’s caught 120 balls and you can say, ‘I’m going to rely on that bell cow.’ “

http://www.startribune.com/quarterb...-but-can-he-boost-the-running-game/449306093/

Go Gophers!!

Would not be surprised to see croft on the 3rd series and then the rest of the year.

Would not be surprised to see croft on the 3rd series and then the rest of the year.

Not based on the press conference. Seemed pretty clear that coming back with team after making poor personal choices is not treated the same as coming back from an injury. I'd be surprised to see Croft at all this game unless Rhoda gets hurt.

Not based on the press conference. Seemed pretty clear that coming back with team after making poor personal choices is not treated the same as coming back from an injury. I'd be surprised to see Croft at all this game unless Rhoda gets hurt.

Maybe Croft has done what he needs to do by gametime?

We really don't know what any of this is, maybe he could do whatever it is ... is ... by then.

One would think with Croft back, Fleck should now be more comfortable having Rhoda run those handful times a game when the opportunity is there?

Croft is still third strong in the depth chart behind Seth so even though he is back on the team, it doesn't necessarily mean his suspension is over, just lessened to an extent. Could still be suspended from playing in games but not suspended from the team.

Croft is still third strong in the depth chart behind Seth so even though he is back on the team, it doesn't necessarily mean his suspension is over, just lessened to an extent. Could still be suspended from playing in games but not suspended from the team.

I don't think he's suspended anymore in any sense. Form what I gathered its a "Okay, you've done what you need to to be back with the team, but you have to earn your #1 spot back in practice" type deal.

I think...um, it doesn't matter what we think. Croft will play when Fleck puts him in the game. Weird concept.

Think Rhoda has been told not to run the ball, especially the last couple games, because of no sound backup QB

Top Bottom