Anyone know this?

Reaction score
Every team has their leader and inspiration on the field. Who is it for us and when will it be obvious we have somebody that can inspire others? Forget about personnel and coaching, injuries and the like. Who on this team will refuse to beat themselves? The game this week is huge in this regard IMO.

Provocative, inspiring discussion.

I'm not sure we really have that guy or have since Cobb left, not to say we don't have good players. Maybe Celstein on the defense. Winfield if healthy. I could see Tyler Johnson becoming that guy on offense

Carter Coughlin

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I don't believe you have to necessarily be a rah-rah, fiery sideline speech guy to be a leader. There are guys who don't necessarily say a lot, but they lead by example - by working hard in practice, and doing their job during the game. By all accounts, Mitch Leidner was the de facto leader of the team the last couple years, and I don't think he was a yell and scream guy.

I do get the feeling that Celestin seems to be a leader on defense, and I suspect Richardson, too. On the offense, I would guess Rodney Smith is respected by his teammates.

But in the end, I have always felt that the leader is the guy who goes out there and makes a play to help win the games. speeches are all well and good - but a key sack, or a 20-yard run speak just as loudly.

Every team has their leader and inspiration on the field. Who is it for us and when will it be obvious we have somebody that can inspire others? Forget about personnel and coaching, injuries and the like. Who on this team will refuse to beat themselves? The game this week is huge in this regard IMO.

# 13 Celestine. It's his last rodeo in college. He is going to want to go out a winner. He knows how important this game is for Big 10 record and standings. He is going to want to go out a winner. He is the emotional leader of the defense. He can keep people in the right spots and get people lined up.

Carter Coughlin

You have to actually play well for anyone else to follow. He did not maintain his gap and left his side of the field open to many times against Maryland. Is he being asked to do to much yes, but the End has to stay in his lane and create traffic, hold the point of attack or fight off the block and make a tackle himself. #45 did not have a good game against Maryland.

You have to actually play well for anyone else to follow. He did not maintain his gap and left his side of the field open to many times against Maryland. Is he being asked to do to much yes, but the End has to stay in his lane and create traffic, hold the point of attack or fight off the block and make a tackle himself. #45 did not have a good game against Maryland.
B.S.. the best leader on the team could be someone who never sees the field for all you know. This is about leadership not football skills. Coughlin demonstrated leadership during his recruitment and there is no reason to believe he is less of a leader today.

B.S.. the best leader on the team could be someone who never sees the field for all you know. This is about leadership not football skills. Coughlin demonstrated leadership during his recruitment and there is no reason to believe he is less of a leader today.

My point was more of he shouldn't be an undersized linebacker at 230 pounds playing defensive end. The point stands that he did not play that well against Maryland.

Agree!

My point was more of he shouldn't be an undersized linebacker at 230 pounds playing defensive end. The point stands that he did not play that well against Maryland.
Agree 100% he was like a fish out of water....

Give the guy a chance to play in space and let his instincts take over.

Agree 100% he was like a fish out of water....

I don't like them playing Coughlin at end and think it is a mistake even if they call it sacrificing for the team.

#45 he has great instincts when he can see the field and is allowed to make plays, he has the instincts to be in space and fill the right gaps.
Right now they are asking him to rush the passer. Making #45 get sucked up inside or outside baiting by the O-line, letting the tackle get his hands on him and getting swallowed
is not ideal.

That other guy #20 Huff he should fill that pass rush roll(He has been trained at it) at least 3rd down. That or stick Ulmor out there and let him take his lumps and take up a block.

Top Bottom