Brohm VS Fleck

I love fleck, but I wanted Brohm (on the condition he kept Sawvel..probably not though).
I just think Brohm is a no bs guy who's smarter at Xs and Os than Fleck.
Maybe Fleck can out recruit him, who knows..and maybe that'll be the difference.

Many mainstream fans think that PJ is legit. At the same time many of them think some of the people posting on this board are a joke.

I absolutely love that you feel personally hurt when someone doesn't love PJ.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

the interesting thing (to me, at least): conventional wisdom says when you make a coaching change, you bring in a guy who is the opposite of the former coach, or whose area of expertise is in the area where the team is the weakest. i.e., previous coach was a "player's coach," hire a disciplinarian. Team is perceived as weak on offense, hire an "offensive" coach.

But with Purdue, their MO in recent years has been decent on offense, awful on defense. And yet, they bring in an offensive guru type in Brohm. Apparently they feel they can succeed by outscoring everyone. Where conventional wisdom would say, improve the defense and you don't have to score as many points to win. It will be interesting to see how it all works out.

Certainly, Fleck is the opposite of what the Gophers had before. Claeys laid-back defensive guru. Fleck high-energy guy with offensive credentials. So the Gophers followed conventional wisdom - Purdue did not. Which approach will turn out better in the long run? Only time will tell.

the interesting thing (to me, at least): conventional wisdom says when you make a coaching change, you bring in a guy who is the opposite of the former coach, or whose area of expertise is in the area where the team is the weakest. i.e., previous coach was a "player's coach," hire a disciplinarian. Team is perceived as weak on offense, hire an "offensive" coach.

But with Purdue, their MO in recent years has been decent on offense, awful on defense. And yet, they bring in an offensive guru type in Brohm. Apparently they feel they can succeed by outscoring everyone. Where conventional wisdom would say, improve the defense and you don't have to score as many points to win. It will be interesting to see how it all works out.

Certainly, Fleck is the opposite of what the Gophers had before. Claeys laid-back defensive guru. Fleck high-energy guy with offensive credentials. So the Gophers followed conventional wisdom - Purdue did not. Which approach will turn out better in the long run? Only time will tell.
Consider Purdue's history, their most successful coach was Joe Tiller and his basketball on grass offensive philosophy, I think they're trying to catch lightning in a bottle for the second time. That's something that rarely happens.

Brohm should be very successful. I am happy with Fleck. No lust for Purdue's coach. Not worried about last week right now. Stuff happens.

The opposite thing seems to really be an the case.

On a completely unrelated note, Fleck is in physically great shape and is a joy to listen to on radio or TV.

Can you point out what offensive credentials Fleck brought? I'm not being a smartass, just honestly wondering. I know he was a wide receiver and coached wide receivers in the pros. Is that what you are referring to?

Can you point out what offensive credentials Fleck brought? I'm not being a smartass, just honestly wondering. I know he was a wide receiver and coached wide receivers in the pros. Is that what you are referring to?

Scoring offense and total offense highly ranked last two years at WMU.

On a completely unrelated note, Fleck is in physically great shape and is a joy to listen to on radio or TV.

I loved listening to Claeys and wasn't offended by his weight, like you apparently are.

I'm honestly curious what the mainstream (not the hardcore) Boiler fans think of Brohm. Virtually every mainstream (not hardcore) Gopher fan I know thinks PJ is a joke.

I do not want to bore you to death and get into the weeds with irrelevant details, but the run of the mill Purdue fan is excited about football again. The Hazell era is arguably the worst 4 years in program history and definitely the worst 4 years in the Big Ten since Rick Venturi. With that said, 45,000+ came out against Ohio and 60,000+ showed up against Michigan. I think we will see something around 45,000 against Minnesota (due to it being fall break and questionable weather), but the fan base is coming back.

They see a football committed President, BOT, AD and a competent coach. This is something Purdue hasn’t seen in a while.

I do not want to bore you to death and get into the weeds with irrelevant details, but the run of the mill Purdue fan is excited about football again. The Hazell era is arguably the worst 4 years in program history and definitely the worst 4 years in the Big Ten since Rick Venturi. With that said, 45,000+ came out against Ohio and 60,000+ showed up against Michigan. I think we will see something around 45,000 against Minnesota (due to it being fall break and questionable weather), but the fan base is coming back.

They see a football committed President, BOT, AD and a competent coach. This is something Purdue hasn’t seen in a while.

Thanks for posting this. Good to hear. I think you guys got a great coach.

Thanks for posting this. Good to hear. I think you guys got a great coach.

Ha, I can say the same thing about you guys. If you look at my moniker, my 2nd degree is from NIU and I’m a huge Fleck fan.

My only concern is this. I think Fleck is a lifer at Minnesota; I think Brohm will eventually take the Louisville job. The only thing I can do is sit back and enjoy his tenure.

The bigger question is which school will keep their coach longer?

Minnesota has a history of firing coaches and re-building every few years. Mason had a strong run at 10 years, however, that has not been the case for most other football coaches.

Continuity and stability are the keys to success when you look at programs like Michigan, Ohio State, Michigan State, Penn State, Iowa and Wisconsin.

It all starts at the top with the President and AD and then the head coach.

Michigan State has had a few down years under Dantonio but they have kept him. Same thing with Iowa, they have kept Ferentz through some tumultous times and have had some great seasons since.

I hope I am wrong, but I can see Minnesota fans wanting PJ fired if he doesn't win 9 or 10 games by year 3 because they do not realize it takes at least 4 or 5 years to change the culture of the program.

I think both coaches will be successful at their respective schools. Great hires for both Purdue and Minnesota.

Fleck didn't start with a downtrodden program in the least. That implication gets old.

Holy cow, Heather, You don't even try to hide it do you? You bored at home these days?

The bigger question is which school will keep their coach longer?

Minnesota has a history of firing coaches and re-building every few years. Mason had a strong run at 10 years, however, that has not been the case for most other football coaches.

Continuity and stability are the keys to success when you look at programs like Michigan, Ohio State, Michigan State, Penn State, Iowa and Wisconsin.

It all starts at the top with the President and AD and then the head coach.

Michigan State has had a few down years under Dantonio but they have kept him. Same thing with Iowa, they have kept Ferentz through some tumultous times and have had some great seasons since.

I hope I am wrong, but I can see Minnesota fans wanting PJ fired if he doesn't win 9 or 10 games by year 3 because they do not realize it takes at least 4 or 5 years to change the culture of the program.

I think both coaches will be successful at their respective schools. Great hires for both Purdue and Minnesota.

How many HCs has Mich had in the last 20 years?

Top Bottom