Brohm VS Fleck

fippled

Reaction score
I have been waiting for this matchup. The two new​ up and coming coaches. Since we hired Fleck I have been curious which one of these two coaches will have more success. Will Brohm be able to turn around Purdue, and will Fleck be able to keep Minnesota going in the right direction.

Sent from my LGLS755 using Tapatalk

I have been waiting for this matchup. The two new​ up and coming coaches. Since we hired Fleck I have been curious which one of these two coaches will have more success. Will Brohm be able to turn around Purdue, and will Fleck be able to keep Minnesota going in the right direction.

Sent from my LGLS755 using Tapatalk

Yep Mn fans do not want to have to climb back past Illinois and Purdue again and hopefully climb and stay above Nw and Nebraska.
I am sure that Purdue fans want to get back to the Tiller days of having good teams.

I think both coaches are going to succeed, though Brohm started with a much lower floor, so it would be hard to get any worse.

Here's how I see it. I see Fleck as a charismatic team-builder, a guy who loves getting people fired up and working together toward the same goal. It could've been in anything, but he happened to be good enough at football to make that his vocation. I see Brohm as a savant, a real football junkie who gets a high off of outscheming his opponent. The question, then, is - can Fleck build a staff that will scheme well enough to leverage the talent he brings in? Can Brohm recruit well enough to capitalize on his schematic advantage? Whichever one can better compensate for his weaknesses will be the more successful coach.

Would you say that Purdue has built in recruiting advantages by being close to more talent but Mn has better facilities?

I think eventually the question will be "Brohm VS Fleck . . . Who will win the west this year?" Both will take their teams back to their golden days of victory.

The bigger question is which school will keep their coach longer?

Minnesota has a history of firing coaches and re-building every few years. Mason had a strong run at 10 years, however, that has not been the case for most other football coaches.

Continuity and stability are the keys to success when you look at programs like Michigan, Ohio State, Michigan State, Penn State, Iowa and Wisconsin.

It all starts at the top with the President and AD and then the head coach.

Michigan State has had a few down years under Dantonio but they have kept him. Same thing with Iowa, they have kept Ferentz through some tumultous times and have had some great seasons since.

I hope I am wrong, but I can see Minnesota fans wanting PJ fired if he doesn't win 9 or 10 games by year 3 because they do not realize it takes at least 4 or 5 years to change the culture of the program.

I think both coaches will be successful at their respective schools. Great hires for both Purdue and Minnesota.

Here's how I see it. I see Fleck as a charismatic team-builder, a guy who loves getting people fired up and working together toward the same goal. It could've been in anything, but he happened to be good enough at football to make that his vocation. I see Brohm as a savant, a real football junkie who gets a high off of outscheming his opponent. The question, then, is - can Fleck build a staff that will scheme well enough to leverage the talent he brings in? Can Brohm recruit well enough to capitalize on his schematic advantage? Whichever one can better compensate for his weaknesses will be the more successful coach.

Excellent post, agree 100%.

I think both coaches are going to succeed, though Brohm started with a much lower floor, so it would be hard to get any worse.

So which West teams drop off? Something has to give...

Dpod...you're spot on.

Brohm climbed the ranks by playing and coaching in offenses with aerial assaults that we've only dreamed about here. If this game is played like checkers with Xs and Os by Brohm and Fleck I don't think it goes our way. Luckily, that's not the way games are played.

I'm honestly curious what the mainstream (not the hardcore) Boiler fans think of Brohm. Virtually every mainstream (not hardcore) Gopher fan I know thinks PJ is a joke.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm honestly curious what the mainstream (not the hardcore) Boiler fans think of Brohm. Virtually every mainstream (not hardcore) Gopher fan I know thinks PJ is a joke.

How many mainstream Boiler football fans are there? Anyone actively following that ****show for the past several years has to be considered hardcore.

I know quite a few mainstream Gopher fans who think PJ is legit. I would expect a similar variance in their fans. Some love him, some will think he's a joke, and some will be indifferent. Kinda mirrors the hardcore fans, just with less investment in the feelings.

I honestly don't know anybody who says this. I have friends who went to Marquette, Notre Dame, USC, and Clemson who have told me Fleck is impressive. I even talked to CJ Spiller in Tampa when he was signing autographs for the National Championship Game about PJ and he said give him a few years and Gopher Football will be a name people know.

I also met John Gilmore (Former Penn State TE, and NFL player) and he said if he was a recruit now he would play for Harbaugh or Fleck. Can't help but love his intensity.

I honestly don't know anybody who says this. I have friends who went to Marquette, Notre Dame, USC, and Clemson who have told me Fleck is impressive. I even talked to CJ Spiller in Tampa when he was signing autographs for the National Championship Game about PJ and he said give him a few years and Gopher Football will be a name people know.

I also met John Gilmore (Former Penn State TE, and NFL player) and he said if he was a recruit now he would play for Harbaugh or Fleck. Can't help but love his intensity.

Thanks for your input, but CJ Spiller and John Gilmore are hardly the mainstream folks I was talking about. Perhaps I should have said "casual fans" - I just don't like the term. I mean like coworkers who may catch the game, may not. May go to a game in person, may not. Would not set out to watch a presser, but might read the paper, see the news, or happen upon it. To a T, my coworkers laugh at the RTB, Nekton, Etc. talk.

Thanks for your input, but CJ Spiller and John Gilmore are hardly the mainstream folks I was talking about. Perhaps I should have said "casual fans" - I just don't like the term. I mean like coworkers who may catch the game, may not. May go to a game in person, may not. Would not set out to watch a presser, but might read the paper, see the news, or happen upon it. To a T, my coworkers laugh at the RTB, Nekton, Etc. talk.

The casual fans that I have spoken with are all excited about Fleck and his energy.
My brother is annoyed by him but he is an old school Reusse type.

The casual fans that I have spoken with are all excited about Fleck and his energy.

I would second this and say most of my friends (mid 20s guys) all love Fleck and think he'll be great for recruiting. Any older guys (dad's friends, coworkers, etc) are more a mixed bag. None of them are hardcore fans

Same here. The older people seem to be, the less they seem to like him. People talk to me about him at my job all the time and the overwhelming majority like him. The people that don't have been 60+ years old and they don't care for all the slogans. "Just win games" is all they say. I would classify none of these people as hardcore fans. Just casual MN sports fan.

Most of the casual fans I know, which would also be me, don't love the rah-rah, and the "row the boat", and the over the top intensity. But "so what". He still may be the guy to turn this thing around. I liked Kill and thought Claeys was OK, but Fleck seems like a pretty high potential upside kind of guy.

Don't measure it on this season is all I ask. Purdue has a more experienced team than we do.

Don't measure it on this season is all I ask. Purdue has a more experienced team than we do.

And they are on year 1 with Brohm, while we're on year 0

Purdue won 3 Big Ten games the last three years. That's a dumpster fire. If we get our butts handed to us on both sides of the ball this weekend it's a bad look. I'm not predicting that, just stating a possibility. They would be ascending and we are descending in perception and momentum. Media support will start to fold. Fan support will start to shake and shimmy. Sure, missing a few starters but the national perception will be free fall or at least firmly negative.

Many mainstream fans think that PJ is legit. At the same time many of them think some of the people posting on this board are a joke.

Brohm is in Year -2. Clench up the butt cheeks. This is a big game like it or not.

I agree with you that this is a big game. I was poking fun at MaxyJr1 for his comment in post 24.

The bigger question is which school will keep their coach longer?

Minnesota has a history of firing coaches and re-building every few years. Mason had a strong run at 10 years, however, that has not been the case for most other football coaches.

Continuity and stability are the keys to success when you look at programs like Michigan, Ohio State, Michigan State, Penn State, Iowa and Wisconsin.

It all starts at the top with the President and AD and then the head coach.

Michigan State has had a few down years under Dantonio but they have kept him. Same thing with Iowa, they have kept Ferentz through some tumultous times and have had some great seasons since.

I hope I am wrong, but I can see Minnesota fans wanting PJ fired if he doesn't win 9 or 10 games by year 3 because they do not realize it takes at least 4 or 5 years to change the culture of the program.

I think both coaches will be successful at their respective schools. Great hires for both Purdue and Minnesota.

I wonder if some of the recent examples such as LSU firing Les Miles and Nebraska firing Bo Pelini has caused some schools to be a bit more cautious on making changes?

Top Bottom