Gophers depth chart has Handy-Holly starting at safety, Croft at No. 3 QB

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Randy:

The Gophers on Tuesday morning released their depth chart for Saturday’s game at Purdue, and it contained a couple of interesting wrinkles.

First, true freshman Ken Handy-Holly is listed as a starter at safety in place of the suspended Duke McGhee. Handy-Holly made his debut on last week’s 31-24 loss to Maryland and will start ahead of senior Adekunle Ayinde.

“I thought he played well. He did what he was supposed to do,’’ coach P.J. Fleck said of Handy-Holly on Monday. “You could tell it was his first experience that he ever had playing college football, but again there is always a first for everybody.’’

The other starting safety, Antoine Winfield Jr., still is listed as a starter on the depth chart. Fleck said “we’ll see’’ regarding Winfield’s availability following a hamstring injury suffered in the first quarter against Maryland.

The other interesting development on the depth chart was the listing of Demry Croft as the third-string quarterback. The sophomore has been suspended indefinitely for violating team rules, and Fleck on Monday was asked if there was a path for Croft to return to the team. “Eventually,’’ the coach said.

http://www.startribune.com/gophers-...tarting-at-safety-croft-at-no-3-qb/449248263/

Go Gophers!!

What happened to Douglas that he is out for the year? Why is Duke on depth chart but not playing after sitting out last week. Croft? Players know who should be playing and if the penalty was sitting out games was served Fleck is walking a thin line with this team. He better be careful he could be painting himself into a corner with his discipline. Statements that he has made about they will go without QB'saying if they have to may sound tough but that's not going to fly with empty seats.

Fleck is here to raise students athletes to be the best of their ability. He was literally hired because our culture was NOT in a good place and it needed a revamp. You are essentially telling him to do the complete opposite of what he was hired to do. Just no. Students first, athletes second. You clearly do not understand nor watch enough fleck to understand his philosophy - he really knows how to coach kids. Taking short-cuts does not work but sending a message does.

What happened to Douglas that he is out for the year? Why is Duke on depth chart but not playing after sitting out last week. Croft? Players know who should be playing and if the penalty was sitting out games was served Fleck is walking a thin line with this team. He better be careful he could be painting himself into a corner with his discipline. Statements that he has made about they will go without QB'saying if they have to may sound tough but that's not going to fly with empty seats.

Is he on the depth chart? The article didn't say, they just said Handy-Holly was starting in his place.

Fleck is here to raise students athletes to be the best of their ability. He was literally hired because our culture was NOT in a good place and it needed a revamp. You are essentially telling him to do the complete opposite of what he was hired to do. Just no. Students first, athletes second. You clearly do not understand nor watch enough fleck to understand his philosophy - he really knows how to coach kids. Taking short-cuts does not work but sending a message does.
f78cd67d88acc38f88e8c348d32c4a53.gif

Not sure if you are serious. Under no circumstances short of abuse or NCAA violation is Fleck on the hot seat before 2020-21

So, you assume that what he has told the media is the only "conversation" Fleck has had with the player, or that he has not told the player what they need to do to get back, or why they are lower on the depth chart? I am sure it would sit well with fans if he, instead, aired all of the dirty laundry for all to see. That would be great.

More depth chart nonsense. If they try to play Winfield this week I'll be furious. We're going to need him later. Shut him down to heal. It sucks but that's reality.

this is funny coming from someone with the moniker Drunkgoldy...

Depth Charts have become so worthless.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Send a message and lose the team because whether you like it or not players will stick together. He was hired to win games otherwise you are spending a lot of money to change "a culture ". There is more then one way to discipline then painting yourself in a corner. Maybe it will work. More than likely players are going to stick together unless they are outcasts on the team. Like I said he may be walking a fine line.

Send a message and lose the team because whether you like it or not players will stick together. He was hired to win games otherwise you are spending a lot of money to change "a culture ". There is more then one way to discipline then painting yourself in a corner. Maybe it will work. More than likely players are going to stick together unless they are outcasts on the team. Like I said he may be walking a fine line.

Okay ask yourself this...
Did you see any chances of us winning a rosebowl this year? No.

Fleck does not care about short term wins and losses nearly as much as he focuses on building for the future. He emphasis this by control the recruiting narrative even in the middle of the season. Now if we did what you want and allow the team to slack off and become Grubs, you will constantly fall by the wayside - see last year for example. I for one want to sit my butt down in Pasadena and cheer on good humble men. Do you?

That’s why they were renamed position charts

@GopherFootball twitter calls it a depth chart and had a big graphic that included the words "depth chart." Gophersports.com calls it a depth chart. The chart had the title, "Minnesota Depth Chart."

I don't think it matters, but for those who do ...

Fleck does not care about short term wins and losses nearly as much as he focuses on building for the future. He emphasis this by control the recruiting narrative even in the middle of the season. Now if we did what you want and allow the team to slack off and become Grubs, you will constantly fall by the wayside - see last year for example. I for one want to sit my butt down in Pasadena and cheer on good humble men. Do you?

Hi Heather! So nice of you to join us!

"There is more than one way to discipline " Can't see anywhere where I was saying to slack off and become "Grubs". Nice conclusion. Try to understand team dynamics without going extreme.

"There is more than one way to discipline " Can't see anywhere where I was saying to slack off and become "Grubs". Nice conclusion. Try to understand team dynamics without going extreme.

I mean, you are also making the assumption that the team will side against Fleck no matter what. I've been on plenty of different sports teams, but sometimes one team member has what's coming to them and the team sees that and agrees with what the coach does. Not saying that is what is going to happen, or that that happens all the time, but its not as fine of a line IMO as you think it is.

I mean, you are also making the assumption that the team will side against Fleck no matter what. I've been on plenty of different sports teams, but sometimes one team member has what's coming to them and the team sees that and agrees with what the coach does. Not saying that is what is going to happen, or that that happens all the time, but its not as fine of a line IMO as you think it is.

giphy.jpg

But you are assuming he has, or will lose the team. How is that? What indication do you have that he has lost the team? I see a lot more evidence that players are buying into the program.

And yes, he was hired to win games, but he was also hired to win games over many many years, and to build a respectable program. Not do whatever it takes to win games this year, including not making players accountable for their actions in a way he seems fit.

And how has he painted himself into a corner? If he doesn't set expectations in year one, when is he going to? In year 3 when he has more depth? That seems like a great plan! :rolleyes:

Some players you can get away with making them run sprints as punishment, others it is taking play time away or other more extreme measures. That is the coaches choice, and he is the one being paid the big bucks to make that choice.

But you are assuming he has, or will lose the team. How is that? What indication do you have that he has lost the team? I see a lot more evidence that players are buying into the program.

And yes, he was hired to win games, but he was also hired to win games over many many years, and to build a respectable program. Not do whatever it takes to win games this year, including not making players accountable for their actions in a way he seems fit.

And how has he painted himself into a corner? If he doesn't set expectations in year one, when is he going to? In year 3 when he has more depth? That seems like a great plan! :rolleyes:

Some players you can get away with making them run sprints as punishment, others it is taking play time away or other more extreme measures. That is the coaches choice, and he is the one being paid the big bucks to make that choice.

Agree. Also agree that he will not be on any hot seat for the next 2-3 years. Some will call it "drinking the Kool Aid," but I'm willing to give Fleck time to implement his plan before I'm going to start wringing my hands like some seem to be. If this was a Brewster situation with a first-time head coach, then I might be a bit nervous.

If Fleck is being a tougher disciplinarian than we're used to, hopefully this will resonate with a lot of the parents, and even with many of the recruits themselves.

More depth chart nonsense. If they try to play Winfield this week I'll be furious. We're going to need him later. Shut him down to heal. It sucks but that's reality.

This is why they have very well schooled trainers and team doctors. I'll trust them to do what is right to protect the player.

That's all fine and good but ultimately Fleck is being paid millions of dollars to win football games. With that said he will get four years to implement his "elite" culture change

You're both right.

Fleck is being paid millions of dollars to win football games--in the right culture and in the right way.

Athletic scandals have harmed the U over and over again, whether it's "Win-at-all-costs" Musselman fielding thugs, Haskin's scandal, or what happened last season. Simply put, the scandals kill funding and support in the wider community.

If the Haskin's mess hadn't killed donations back in the pre-BTN days and the administration had been able to provide Mason the level of resources and support he was promised when he took the job, I think I'd have already been to Pasadena by now.

There's no question in my mind that Kaler and Coyle are willing to sacrifice short-term to fix things long-term no matter how much fans scream the first couple of years.

Top Bottom