Page 132 of 133 FirstFirst ... 3282122130131132133 LastLast
Results 1,966 to 1,980 of 1993

Howie is actually right for a change. Rs had the power and the referendum and failed. Trump should and will be judged by spending. It's not a huge surprise that he doesn't want to expend political capital on the deficit. Nobody does.

Quote Originally Posted by Section2 View Post
    Howie is actually right for a change. Rs had the power and the referendum and failed. Trump should and will be judged by spending. It's not a huge surprise that he doesn't want to expend political capital on the deficit. Nobody does.
    Howie is right about the R House of 17-18. What exactly could Trump do about spending other than cut departmental spending and costly regulations, as he has? He could have caved on the military but that's about it. I'll wait to hear what else you think he could do. Oh he could talk about it but he would only get criticized for taking away people's "rights" and he would get zero in return- certainly no legislation would result. Remember when Trump wanted to hold the line on spending and shut down the government? How'd that work out?

One more note, a reduction in food stamp spending and welfare spending is a reduction in spending. Employing more people is a step towards that. Trump must be credited with that by any fair minded person.

Quote Originally Posted by bga1 View Post
    Howie is right about the R House of 17-18. What exactly could Trump do about spending other than cut departmental spending and costly regulations, as he has? He could have caved on the military but that's about it. I'll wait to hear what else you think he could do. Oh he could talk about it but he would only get criticized for taking away people's "rights" and he would get zero in return- certainly no legislation would result. Remember when Trump wanted to hold the line on spending and shut down the government? How'd that work out?

One more note, a reduction in food stamp spending and welfare spending is a reduction in spending. Employing more people is a step towards that. Trump must be credited with that by any fair minded person.
    Trump could LEAD. He could argue for spending cuts. He could use the power of the office to argue that the deficit and debt are a crisis. He's done basically nothing but throw up his hands as far as I can tell.

"he'd get criticized for it" doesn't seem like a particularly strong argument for why he shouldn't, when he gets criticized constantly, and seems to seek it out.

Spending is exploding. Trump owns it.

Trump could LEAD. He could argue for spending cuts. He could use the power of the office to argue that the deficit and debt are a crisis. He's done basically nothing but throw up his hands as far as I can tell.

"he'd get criticized for it" doesn't seem like a particularly strong argument for why he shouldn't, when he gets criticized constantly, and seems to seek it out.

Yes he does, but to his credit it’s on the long overdue, much needed national infrastructure improvements. Not, thank God, on frivolous farm subsidies and the like.
    ~ Wright about Life - Having fun with words since 1989 ~

I realize he is criticized daily but much of it helps him because it outs Dems for who they are. However, demanding spending cuts offers the Dems REAL political clout in elections. Witness what happened to Paul Ryan for having the guts (at the time) to propose cuts in our entitlements 10 years out- he was pictured running granny off the cliff and of course- he got nothing for it. I am entirely confident that Trump would fight the fight if there was a scintilla of a chance that he would have success in some way on spending. Even if he knew he could only get unified support from Rs I think he would do it. Under the current conditions- no chance.

Right now he can ACTUALLY cut spending in four ways that he can control (total and he is doing all of them:

1. Paring back departments
    2. Bullying the Fed into not raising the rates to control inflation (1% = 200 billion per year added to the deficit)
    3. Running an economy that gets people off the dole (reducing entitlement costs per capita)
    4. Closing down illegal immigration to a trickle and starting the long process of deporting the worst (potential to save 100 billion per year plus)

I realize he is criticized daily but much of it helps him because it outs Dems for who they are. However, demanding spending cuts offers the Dems REAL political clout in elections. Witness what happened to Paul Ryan for having the guts (at the time) to propose cuts in our entitlements 10 years out- he was pictured running granny off the cliff and of course- he got nothing for it. I am entirely confident that Trump would fight the fight if there was a scintilla of a chance that he would have success in some way on spending. Even if he knew he could only get unified support from Rs I think he would do it. Under the current conditions- no chance.

Right now he can ACTUALLY cut spending in four ways that he can control (total and he is doing all of them:

1. Paring back departments
    2. Bullying the Fed into not raising the rates to control inflation (1% = 200 billion per year added to the deficit)
    3. Running an economy that gets people off the dole (reducing entitlement costs per capita)
    4. Closing down illegal immigration to a trickle and starting the long process of deporting the worst (potential to save 100 billion per year plus)
    Beeg, this is not good. And 2 in particular... just wow.

This is why we have the problem we have. No guts. No accountability, point the finger, kick the can down the road.

Beeg, this is not good. And 2 in particular... just wow.

This is why we have the problem we have. No guts. No accountability, point the finger, kick the can down the road.
    Right. Trump has no guts. Got it. He has to play the hand he is dealt- not some fantasy hand like the one you are shuffling here. The fact is there is no support anywhere else in Washington DC for real cuts. If Trump goes it alone, he loses in 2020 and the Dems take over. Then we all lose.

As to the Fed, I don't like the Fed, but right now with 20-21 trillion in debt- what if the rate blew to 5%- boom a trillion a year additional deficit and a full on disaster. At this point it is prudent to manage the rate down until real adjustments can be made to our budgets.

You have the guy in office who is the least driven by power player influence of anyone we have had in a century. He has the most guts of any President we have had- perhaps ever. He is doing all he can do under extreme pressure and you still can't support him. Not good. Superman is not on his way, there are not going to be perfect solutions.

Right. Trump has no guts. Got it. He has to play the hand he is dealt- not some fantasy hand like the one you are shuffling here. The fact is there is no support anywhere else in Washington DC for real cuts. If Trump goes it alone, he loses in 2020 and the Dems take over. Then we all lose.

As to the Fed, I don't like the Fed, but right now with 20-21 trillion in debt- what if the rate blew to 5%- boom a trillion a year additional deficit and a full on disaster. At this point it is prudent to manage the rate down until real adjustments can be made to our budgets.

You have the guy in office who is the least driven by power player influence of anyone we have had in a century. He has the most guts of any President we have had- perhaps ever. He is doing all he can do under extreme pressure and you still can't support him. Not good. Superman is not on his way, there are not going to be perfect solutions.
    Pretty sure we are over 22 trillion now... and still climbing under a president who promised a balanced budget with no deficits.
    Who hates iowa?

Quote Originally Posted by bottlebass View Post
    Pretty sure we are over 22 trillion now... and still climbing under a president who promised a balanced budget with no deficits.
    Would you like him to be permanent king? If so I am certain he would take care of it. I do think he thought he would face less #resistance than he has and I think he thought he would be the one guy who could get bi-partisan effort going. It turns out that one side has had only one goal from day one- impeach him. They don't care one bit about our country.

There's no fantasy. Trump has dramatically increased spending. He owns the new debt. I've not heard him call for less spending once. Maybe he has. I haven't heard it.

Yes, which is why we should be running a surplus to pay down the debt. Eventually rates will go higher and that will be bad.

He hasn't done anything. I'll support him if he does something. Somehow I lick his boots even though I don't support him, so I am amazing.

Would you like him to be permanent king? If so I am certain he would take care of it. I do think he thought he would face less #resistance than he has and I think he thought he would be the one guy who could get bi-partisan effort going. It turns out that one side has had only one goal from day one- impeach him. They don't care one bit about our country.
    These are petty deflections. There is a gap the size of the grand canyon between doing nothing to reduce spending, and actually arguing for more spending, and becoming a permanent king as a condition for doing what you promised.

This is just really really dumb. Wouldn't it be great to have the moral high ground and call out the wasteful democrat spending? Problem is, Trump is a Keynsian.

This has nothing to do with him wanting to be a dictator beeg. And I don't know why you would be so certain he woudl take care of it. We have years of history now of him not only not taking care of it but making it much much worse. And one side had all the power for 2 years and what happened? Are you so sure your once side cares about the country?
    Who hates iowa?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GoodasGold View Post
    Yes he does, but to his credit it’s on the long overdue, much needed national infrastructure improvements. Not, thank God, on frivolous farm subsidies and the like.
    Is it still infrastructure week? Another Trump fail. One item I agreed with him on and where there is bi-partisan support and still nothing.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bottlebass View Post
    Erasing the deficit was going to be easy and not take very long because he's a brilliant businessman. Along with healthcare. So easy.

I never expected him or any near-term President to touch the debt. At least make progress on the current deficit. Instead we've made it worse.
    Last edited by howeda7; 07-17-2019 at 12:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by howeda7 View Post
    Is it still infrastructure week? Another Trump fail. One item I agreed with him on and where there is bi-partisan support and still nothing.
    Wait, I thought you were complaining about too much spending. I guess being right is something you can't do for very long. Suits you.