How long does it take you to get over a loss like this, or any loss?

Reaction score
In my younger days I would anguish over a loss for the whole week, or till the next game. I never let my emotions roll out into the family, but inside I was a wreck, and in my mind would replay the game over and over again. One of the worst was the Friday night debacle against Michigan.
Now, I'm more analytical on "why " I think we lost and am over it a few hours after the game.I will say a good cocktail I had at Pittsburgh Blue helped the healing process :)

The walk to the ramp or the drive home...except for Michigan. That one still bugs me.

Puts me in a bad mood Saturday. Pretty much over it Sunday. Rear view mirror by Monday and looking forward to the next game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Usually until Sunday and then I have the Vikings to disappoint me.

Knowing what we were dealing with for this game it didn't take long to get over it. Disappointed of a couple players who couldn't play due to their transgressions, yes. Were young and for some reason are still making mistakes here and there. Normally I'm disappointed for a while, this time no. Maybe I'm tired of a few things.

Puts me in a bad mood Saturday. Pretty much over it Sunday. Rear view mirror by Monday and looking forward to the next game.

Yup, feel the same way, although that Penn State game really burned me last year. That loss alone turned the Nittany Lions into who they are today.

Like 12 seconds

Yup, feel the same way, although that Penn State game really burned me last year. That loss alone turned the Nittany Lions into who they are today.

Now that the Viqueens also lost, I'm over it. Looking forward to this weekend,

Depends: if the Gophers make a real effort but lose a close game in which they were underdogs, it doesn't bother me that much. But I'm still bothered by some famous losses - Michigan '03 and a few like that. Saturday's game bothers me a lot because they looked lackluster, slow, out-coached and offering up a dull, predictable offense that was akin to battering your head against a locked door. The Gopher team that shut down Washington St (now 5-0 and winners over USC) was a better Gopher team. You want the new regime to be better than the old one and to improve week to week. Saturday the program took a step backward.

I'm a college football junkie so I typically stew over it for most of the week, but it definitely doesn't effect my day-to-day mood or anything like that.

About 5 seconds. It’s a game. I move on and look forward to the next game.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Describes my feelings exactly. We've had worse losses than this over the last four or five years and we typically haven't had a great start to the Big Ten season over that time period.

Depends losses like Saturday, or Illinois three years ago bother me until next kickoff. Losses like Michigan in 03;and 15, Sconnie in 99, 14 and last year stick with me. Losses to Ohio State in 14 or 15 or TCU the same years are more toloeable because we were just out classed

Agree. However, watching other college games the rest of that Saturday kind of blows. When we win, it makes watching other Saturday games so much more enjoyable.

Agree. However, watching other college games the rest of that Saturday kind of blows. When we win, it makes watching other Saturday games so much more enjoyable.

I'm with you there. I didn't watch any 2:30 games this past weekend.

How long is the walk to Surly?

It bothers me for the day if I'm not doing anything else. But if I'm with friends or doing fun stuff it doesn't ruin my day by any means.

Now if it were a bigger game? I'd be more disappointed

Mrs. Billd and myself agree "winning is more fun."

Pretty much say it whether we win or lose as we walk back to lot C86 after a game.

Some losses are worse than others...like duh...but it's very true.

Losses have been a little more challenging in recent years because we have been more competitive...mostly.

This loss had a little more sting because I think we have the potential to play better. Laid the proverbial egg so to speak.

Hopefully just growing pains. Certainly had those before.

Loss like this one to Maryland? Same day, maybe a couple of hours. This Gopher team wasn't going to do anything meaningful this year. We weren't going to suddenly win the conference for the first time in my lifetime with a longtime walkon QB leading the way. This season was always about hopefully seeing some things to be excited about for the future and hopefully 1-2 unexpected high points (win over Wisconsin finally? at least end the losing streak at Kinnick? Get the Jug back?). I am never going to reminisce about a 7-5 team so what did this game really mean?

Now how about the losses to PSU and Iowa to start last season? Those were crushing and really pissed me off for the rest of the season. To get that cakewalk schedule, lose to PSU in a game you should of won...then come HOME in your B1G HOME OPENER and lose against an Iowa team that was fresh off a loss to NDSU to basically end your season? A season that you had pointed to for at least a full year? BRUTAL

The Vikings loss on Sunday was much worse than the Gophers. The Vikings had a legit chance to make the playoffs this year and Green Bay is all kinds of banged up. If they just manage to beat Detroit at home they are 3-1, tied with the Pack, and going in to Chicaqo with a great chance to be 4-1 and 2-0 in the division. That's with their backup QB out. Instead, they drop about 5 interceptions, miss a chip shot field goal, and fumble the ball three times to essentially hand the game over to Detroit. Even worse than that, they lose their impressive rookie RB to an ACL tear and we may have already seen the very best of Dalvin Cook's NFL career. Despite what many bizarrely think, there's no guarantee an athlete that relies on explosiveness will ever be the same after an injury that significant.

Losses I am still not over: 1. '98 NFL Championship Game- it literally took multiple miracles to lose that game 2. '97 Final Four- if only Eric Harris was healthy and we might still win if that charge was called correctly. I don't think anything can "make up" for those losses, they will just haunt me for life as will the decisions made by Red McCombs starting with firing Dennis Green/hiring Mike Tice that combined with his epic cheapness closed a window that was open to compete for championships.

As I sat there and watched that debacle on Saturday, I was quietly and angrily stewing inside, wondering why I continue to make the financial investment and time commitment for 7 Saturdays per year. We had a great shot to start the season 7-0, and our players sleepwalking through the game, coupled with piss-poor schemes and an near-total unwillingness to make in-game coaching adjustments, took a giant dump all over that dream. I began fantasizing about all of the things I could do next year and beyond with the money I had been putting toward season tickets. That's where my head was at about 2 pm on Saturday.

Now, today, less than 48 hours later, I've been planning my upcoming Saturday so that I can spend every second in front of the TV. I certainly have some sort of undiagnosed condition when it comes to the Gophers. What that condition is - I'm not exactly sure.

Yes, it galls me to watch other teams do things with ease that the Gophers labor to do. So many times I see a play run and I say out loud, "we don't have that play". Watching other teams with diversified running games and sophisticated passing games would have been intolerable after watching Minnesota's performance on Saturday.

Depends on the game. Hell, I'm still bitter about some losses, especially at home. Watching Wisconsin, Iowa, or, sadly, even NDSU fans celebrate in front of me as I walk out really pisses me off. Usually, over it by Sunday. Saturday, I just shrugged at the end. Don't know if I'm finally worn down by being disappointed so many times; or whether I'm just prepared to take more lumps because I still believe PJ is our best chance to turn this around. Am looking forward to Purdue already because in a dictionary they could use "Gopher fan" as an example to go with the definition of a "masochist."

I get over it quickly as this IS "Year ZERO".

Three years from now, probably not.

This one's easy. You're early in a new regime, and history tells us there'll be bumps in the road. The close ones they lost last year still stick in my craw.

A new head coach is a process not an occasion. This process has just begun. So far I fully enjoy all that I've seen. Especially the tough decisions on individual athletes. I'm over the disappointment. Beat Purdue!

Top Bottom