How long does it take you to get over a loss like this, or any loss?

Puts me in a bad mood Saturday. Pretty much over it Sunday. Rear view mirror by Monday and looking forward to the next game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Basically how I feel at this point. Any loss will ruin the rest of my Saturday, but by Sunday I'm moving on and ready for the next one. Unless the loss is particularly egregious (Michigan 2015 being the most recent example, although Penn State last year was pretty rough as well).

Agree. However, watching other college games the rest of that Saturday kind of blows. When we win, it makes watching other Saturday games so much more enjoyable.

For sure. Losing totally ruins the rest of the days games for me.

Get over? Never. There is not a single loss that I've gotten over. I'm not O.K. with any of them.

Move on? Yeah. I can do that.

This one's easy. You're early in a new regime, and history tells us there'll be bumps in the road. The close ones they lost last year still stick in my craw.

Just out of curiosity - why does this year's loss by a new regime not bother you, but last year's losses by a new regime did? I'd also point out that we were underdogs in 3 of the 4, and 3 of the 4 were on the road. We were 13-point favorites at home! People were and are way more upset about the Rutgers game, and we WON that game! Sorry, I'm getting upset rehashing it again.

Depends: if the Gophers make a real effort but lose a close game in which they were underdogs, it doesn't bother me that much. But I'm still bothered by some famous losses - Michigan '03 and a few like that. Saturday's game bothers me a lot because they looked lackluster, slow, out-coached and offering up a dull, predictable offense that was akin to battering your head against a locked door. The Gopher team that shut down Washington St (now 5-0 and winners over USC) was a better Gopher team. You want the new regime to be better than the old one and to improve week to week. Saturday the program took a step backward.

Wow. That is pretty much how I feel. I still think back to the game we shall not discuss and shake my head. I am almost over this Saturday. Just coming to terms that this staff may be more of a Johnnies and Joes.... beat X's and O's kind of staff.

I was remarkably calm after the loss on Saturday. Quite surprising actually. The loss has taken some of the wind out of the Purdue game for me but I am still very much looking forward to Saturday.

But then again I feel like I'm still getting over the Michigan loss from a couple years ago.

Losses sting a little but I recover quicker than I use to. Eye opener for me was back in the Mason era when the Gophers had one of their typical pull defeat from the jaws of victory games, this time against Northwestern. I was at the game with my son who was five or six at the time and didn't really understand what was going on. Our seats were in the end zone and Northwestern drove for the winning touchdown in the last few minutes, converting on Fourth down multiple times. They scored the winning touchdown in the end zone by our seats and I was convinced from 25 rows up that I had a better view than the Refs and that Northwestern didn't get in the endzone(pre-replay). I stood up and angrily voiced by displeasure. My son looked at me and asked "Dad, dad why are you yelling?" I meekly sat down after being shamed by a Kindergartner.

Flash forward 16-17 years my son graduated from the U last year, is an avid Gopher fan and is frequently convinced the Refs are out to screw the Gophers. The family tradition lives on.

The first loss of the season is typically the most difficult to get over for me. Nowadays I'm over it in a day or so. Pre-kids I'd stew all week, a real "grumpy grumperson" to those close to me. The Maryland loss was it bit more deflating given the fact we were 12 point home favorites and the upcoming schedule was so favorable. I'm definitely in a more jovial mood though after a win.

There are some losses though I'll never get over. Yes, Michigan 2003 is at the top of the list. Wisconsin 2005 is a distant second. I often wonder what type of win will I need to witness to bury the bad memories from that 2003 Michigan game.

The old days....until we won the next one. Now, by the time I get to the car, it is history for me. The loss last year to Penn State was the last straw. The punt block against Wisky started my decline of taking a loss past a hour after a game.

I don't let losses get to me generally, I'm annoyed briefly than over it.

There are losses that still sting. The emotional roller coaster of Michigan, we should've had the damn jug. I was there, we were ready to storm the field...then from the one inch line with clock ticking we back out into shotgun, run some motion.....OH GOD MAKE IT STOP

Depends on the game and this last one vs Maryland was all over the board.

The real disappointment were the unforced mistakes. That hurt.

I'll be over it next time we win... although to be honest Iowa and Penn St. from last year still kinda hurt...

As I sat there and watched that debacle on Saturday, I was quietly and angrily stewing inside, wondering why I continue to make the financial investment and time commitment for 7 Saturdays per year. We had a great shot to start the season 7-0, and our players sleepwalking through the game, coupled with piss-poor schemes and an near-total unwillingness to make in-game coaching adjustments, took a giant dump all over that dream. I began fantasizing about all of the things I could do next year and beyond with the money I had been putting toward season tickets. That's where my head was at about 2 pm on Saturday.

Jesus... it's just a game dawg.

I realize that, to you, it's super cool and hip to not care about anything...but some of us care about things. It adds value to our lives.
I care about lots of stuff, just not kids throwing balls around. At least not to the point where it upsets me when they don't win a game.

Depends on the game and opponent. This game, took about 12 hours. Some games, like the '03 Michigan loss and '06 Texas Tech loss, took years.

As soon as I heard PJ's interview after the game about our defensive backfield, I was pretty much over it. No wonder our D looked so crappy. Then I started watching the IA-MSU game and I was totally over it...

Just out of curiosity - why does this year's loss by a new regime not bother you, but last year's losses by a new regime did? I'd also point out that we were underdogs in 3 of the 4, and 3 of the 4 were on the road. We were 13-point favorites at home! People were and are way more upset about the Rutgers game, and we WON that game! Sorry, I'm getting upset rehashing it again.

I haven't gone through psychoanalysis on this, so I can't tell you why I feel this way. I was just responding to the question in the OP.

Top Bottom