SI: wisconsin Might Have Power 5's Easiest Path to Playoff

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per SI:

The debate over which teams belong in the College Football Playoff is typically dominated by talk of non-conference schedule strength, quality wins and so-called style points. For Wisconsin, its argument for the playoff could come down to something much simpler: It barely had to play anyone good.

The Badgers moved to 4-0 on Saturday after beating Northwestern, 33-24, at Camp Randall Stadium. They had already cruised to double-digit victories over Utah State, Florida Atlantic and BYU and, believe it or not, the matchup with the Wildcats was one of their biggest remaining obstacles.

A year after facing a brutal slate including a Week 1 meeting with LSU and back-to-back dates at Michigan and against Ohio State, Wisconsin will benefit from the Power 5’s smoothest road to the national semifinals. According to Football Outsiders, the Badgers’ lowest win probability in a game this season is 61% (against Michigan in Madison on Nov. 18).

The biggest reason Wisconsin could waltz to the final four is the overall lack of quality in the Big Ten West. Only one of its teams, Minnesota (39), ranks inside the top 40 of Football Outsiders latest S&P + ratings, and the Gophers lost 31-24 at home on Saturday to a Maryland squad down to its third-string quarterback.

https://www.si.com/college-football/2017/09/30/wisconsin-northwestern-big-ten-football

Go Gophers!!

Getting through the East champion won't be easy.

But getting to the title game will be easier than beating the other big east teams to get to the title game for the eastern contender. Tough to say Ohio State, Michigan or Penn State road is easier when they have two games against each other prior to getting to the title game. Wisconsin essentially needs one win against those three to advance, the other three need two wins to get to play Wisconsin,

I wonder do people realize that this so called third stringer actually was a stater last year? Not your typical third string QB.

I wonder do people realize that this so called third stringer actually was a stater last year? Not your typical third string QB.

He threw 33 passes and I believe it was because he was also pressed into duty due to injury last year as well.

Top Bottom