Where are you on the boat? Week 5 "The Princess Bride" edition

Where are you on the boat with Gophers 3-1?

• I'm Driving - "They are gaining on us! I wonder if they are using the same wind we are using?"

Votes: 15 27.8%
  • Elite class - "You keep using that word. I don't think it means what you think it means!"

Votes: 15 27.8%
  • It looks like rough waters - "Fesik, are there rocks ahead? If there are, we'll all be dead."

Votes: 18 33.3%
  • Looking for other options - "I'm just going to have to find myself another giant!"

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • In the Life Raft - "Have I made it clear that your job is at stake?"

Votes: 3 5.6%
  • Staying on the dock - "I must know your name. Get used to dissappointment. Ok."

Votes: 2 3.7%

• Total voters

Otis

Reaction score
Did not see the game but had to suffer the indignity of having my school lose to my son's school. Let's hope for smoother waters this week!

I'm on the "it kinda seems like Fleck is intentionally rowing the wrong direction" part of the boat.
The play calling and personnel decisions make it seem like he is trying to lose.

I figure I'm better off in the boat.

No need to feed the Shrieking Eels!

I'm sick of hearing about rowing and boats and stupid puns to tie everything in. Play football.

Oh geezo beezo, my chili finally cooled, so I'm still dismantling the house I built brick by brick. Once I take all of the bricks down, then I'll grab an oar and start paddling.

I'm still driving the boat.

The loss to Maryland snapped me back into reality for my hopes in 2017 but I have all the confidence in the world in this staff and program moving forward.

I'm still driving the boat.

The loss to Maryland snapped me back into reality for my hopes in 2017 but I have all the confidence in the world in this staff and program moving forward.

Same here. I think this year’s team depth was exposed and that stinks, but long term I feel good about the direction of the program.

I'm all in. Just bought a crap load of stuff a Goldy's Locker. You're blind man if you didn't see Maryland had better players in their top 22, especially on offense.

I thought we'd finish 7-5. Winnable games against Purdue, and Illinois remain while Iowa, Michigan St, and Nebraska have all looked beatable. Northwestern looked ok last week but other than that hasn't been great. I still think we can win 7-8 games.

As I stated this past weekend, this game wasn't loss because of coaching, this game -as well as - other games yet this season, is because of recruiting the past 3/4 years. When you don't have more than 3/4 defensive tackles the onus is on recruiting not coaching. Same with cornerbacks and offensive line. No excuses in 3 years.

As I stated this past weekend, this game wasn't loss because of coaching, this game -as well as - other games yet this season, is because of recruiting the past 3/4 years. When you don't have more than 3/4 defensive tackles the onus is on recruiting not coaching. Same with cornerbacks and offensive line. No excuses in 3 years.
Keep telling yourself that. Not sure how the Gophers beat Maryland last year with that recruiting from the previous 3 or 4 years.

It is ridiculous to blame it entirely on recruiting just as it is ridiculous to blame it entirely on coaching.

This team is not talented enough to play poorly and win and Fleck is not a good enough coach to win with inferior talent.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I'm on the "it kinda seems like Fleck is intentionally rowing the wrong direction" part of the boat.
The play calling and personnel decisions make it seem like he is trying to lose.

On what planet and universe would a coach of any program try and or orchestrate losing? Intentionally rowing the wrong direction does not happen.

I'm still in the boat, and I think the majority of us are all still rowing. Until the Admiral or "Windy" as Reusse calls him, convinces us all that he cannot coach. (I don't think this will happen)
If things become rat's flying off the ship from the coaching staff point of view like they were with Brewster than there are warning signs. I don't think Fleck is sandbagging anyone, pretty apparent we do not have depth, or elite talent on the defensive or offensive line's at the moment(lack of upperclassmen) or in the defensive back field san's injury's and suspensions or expulsions. There is no prepared depth in the trenches.

My issue is that we are not always going to match up against other teams, so if you want to win you have to game plan differently. Now, if you value your system more than winning then fine, we know what to expect going forward.

Who are you? Ever been around sports before?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On what planet and universe would a coach of any program try and or orchestrate losing? Intentionally rowing the wrong direction does not happen.

I'm still in the boat, and I think the majority of us are all still rowing. Until the Admiral or "Windy" as Reusse calls him, convinces us all that he cannot coach. (I don't think this will happen)
If things become rat's flying off the ship from the coaching staff point of view like they were with Brewster than there are warning signs. I don't think Fleck is sandbagging anyone, pretty apparent we do not have depth, or elite talent on the defensive or offensive line's at the moment(lack of upperclassmen) or in the defensive back field san's injury's and suspensions or expulsions. There is no prepared depth in the trenches.

We have plenty of depth, Fleck just sucks at using it.
We are stacked in the front seven and generating no pressure, we have three fantastic running backs and Fleck screwed the pooch by running read options plays that wouldn't fool a kindergartner, we have elite safety talent, and Fleck kicked one of them off the field for who knows what stupid reason. If this is him trying to win then we're in real trouble.

And let me be clear, one game does not make a pattern, there have been two games so far that I have watched and been exasperated by our coaching decisions. I think the Buffalo game was just my adjustment period to prevent defense and a read-option offense.
This last game, however, was an embarrassment to the Minnesota football program. Poor play calling, poor protection, poor game plan, and poor individual performances.

I'm not saying that he's an awful coach, I'm as hopeful as anyone else, but the number of people here making excuses for that game is too damn high.

I'm not saying that he's an awful coach, I'm as hopeful as anyone else, but the number of people here making excuses for that game is too damn high.

No, you're not as hopeful as anyone else. You're a chronic bitcher who thinks he's a damn football savant but really doesn't have any clue about what it takes to build a program. But you're "hopeful." Yet another clown who wants it both ways.

No, you're not as hopeful as anyone else. You're a chronic bitcher who thinks he's a damn football savant but really doesn't have any clue about what it takes to build a program. But you're "hopeful." Yet another clown who wants it both ways.

Touché

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If we lose this week, I'll be tempted to find the Iocane powder.

We have plenty of depth, Fleck just sucks at using it.
We are stacked in the front seven and generating no pressure, we have three fantastic running backs and Fleck screwed the pooch by running read options plays that wouldn't fool a kindergartner, we have elite safety talent, and Fleck kicked one of them off the field for who knows what stupid reason. If this is him trying to win then we're in real trouble.

And let me be clear, one game does not make a pattern, there have been two games so far that I have watched and been exasperated by our coaching decisions. I think the Buffalo game was just my adjustment period to prevent defense and a read-option offense.
This last game, however, was an embarrassment to the Minnesota football program. Poor play calling, poor protection, poor game plan, and poor individual performances.

So because you don't like it, and it happens to be one of our starters its stupid? I guarantee if it had been a 3rd string player you wouldn't have said a word. Maybe they player failed a test, or maybe the player skipped class, or maybe he didn't sit in the front 2 rows, or maybe he didn't wear a collard shirt, or maybe he did something else Coach has told them not to do. As much as you don't like it, the player still did something against the coaches rules, which means they have only themselves to blame in not playing this past week. You can't expect Coach Fleck to go "I told you to (not) do that, but you did(n't). But you're a starter so you get off with a warning". That's not how things should work.

Top Bottom