STrib: Growing pains of P.J. Fleck's Gophers on display in first loss

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Randy:

That was rain falling Sunday afternoon, not the sky.

A day after the Gophers suffered their first loss under first-year coach P.J. Fleck, a mistake-filled 31-24 setback against Maryland in the Big Ten opener, gloom and doom was the theme on social media.

That’s understandable after an undefeated team loses a game in which it was a double-digit favorite according to the Las Vegas number-crunchers. Remember, “fan” is short for “fanatic,” so measured responses after a frustrating loss shouldn’t be expected. The first “Fire PJ” mention even showed up in this beat writer’s Twitter feed.

But what was lost Saturday was a game, not the season — unless you were expecting an undefeated record and a run to the Rose Bowl. Instead, we saw what the Gophers are: a team with flaws, one that is transitioning under a new coach and a squad that must improve as its quality of competition does.

http://www.startribune.com/growing-pains-of-p-j-fleck-s-gophers-on-display-in-first-loss/448968793/

Go Gophers!!

I would think most fans can look at it like I can. I wasn't expecting a Rose bowl this year but looking at the talent on the team, I think they're capable of seven or eight wins, still do. I also understand there's going be a what the hell moment in year one. Maybe that was on Saturday. Kind like Kill losing to NMSU, Brew to Bowling Green and FAU. Think Mason lost to Hawaii. What was disappointing about Saturday was how in prepared we looked coming off a bye, clock management at the end of the half. Lack of defensive adjustments. I get not being good enough and we will have some of those games later in the year, but talent was not the issue on Saturday and talent shouldn't be the issue this Saturday

Yes, pretty sure Coach Mason's first game was a loss to the Rainbow Warriors. That was my first game as a Gopher fan. Ouch.

What bugged me is that he spent his entire press conference throwing his players under the bus.
How about you own up and take responsibility like a damn adult.
That wasn't a depth loss, that was a coaching loss, stop throwing your 9-win B1G team under the bus.

What bugged me is that he spent his entire press conference throwing his players under the bus.
That wasn't a depth loss, that was a coaching loss, stop throwing your 9-win B1G team under the bus.

You must have a heard a different press conference than me. https://youtu.be/T-OrQcU-EqI

This team has 3 wins (with 1 loss), not 9.

I would think most fans can look at it like I can. I wasn't expecting a Rose bowl this year but looking at the talent on the team, I think they're capable of seven or eight wins, still do. I also understand there's going be a what the hell moment in year one. Maybe that was on Saturday. Kind like Kill losing to NMSU, Brew to Bowling Green and FAU. Think Mason lost to Hawaii. What was disappointing about Saturday was how in prepared we looked coming off a bye, clock management at the end of the half. Lack of defensive adjustments. I get not being good enough and we will have some of those games later in the year, but talent was not the issue on Saturday and talent shouldn't be the issue this Saturday

Pretty much sums up how I feel as well.

My biggest compliant is that Fleck has been talking about his razor thin secondary since August, but he hasn't gotten anybody else ready to play. Handy-Holly debuted on Saturday; it would have been nice to give him some playing time in the non-conference games. And now he's talking about moving wide receivers to corner. Where are Estes and Harris? Fleck crossed his fingers and hoped nobody would get hurt or disciplined. Rookie mistake.

Clearly, Fleck wants to keep redshirts on as many freshmen as possible. I'm usually for that. I'm not even too bothered that he would use receivers in the secondary. But they should've been working back there weeks ago if that was the plan.

One bonus: Fleck gets to use youth and inexperience as an excuse this year. Then, when today's redshirts play for the first time next season, he gets to say it again.

Clearly, Fleck wants to keep redshirts on as many freshmen as possible. I'm usually for that. I'm not even too bothered that he would use receivers in the secondary. But they should've been working back there weeks ago if that was the plan.

You know for a fact that players weren't working in the secondary three weeks ago?

From the number of posts on the subject sounds like a lot of GHolers heard a different press conference than the actual one given.

Most people realize that first year head coaches at Universities like Minnesota don't have winning records year one.

This is one of many reasons I've said from the start, 5-7 or 6-6 would be a good start on year one.

It's as if people think we're Alabama or something.

You know for a fact that players weren't working in the secondary three weeks ago?

I doubt it, but okay, let's go with that. Let's say they've been working in the secondary all season. But we're still going to wait until Big Ten season to give them their first taste of playing defense in college. They could've played in a 34-point win over Oregon State. Or a 31-point win over Middle Tennessee. But we're all better off waiting until we play a pass-happy team like Purdue. Is that what you're saying?

I doubt it, but okay, let's go with that. Let's say they've been working in the secondary all season. But we're still going to wait until Big Ten season to give them their first taste of playing defense in college. They could've played in a 34-point win over Oregon State. Or a 31-point win over Middle Tennessee. But we're all better off waiting until we play a pass-happy team like Purdue. Is that what you're saying?

You think a couple plays in those other games really would change much?

My biggest compliant is that Fleck has been talking about his razor thin secondary since August, but he hasn't gotten anybody else ready to play. Handy-Holly debuted on Saturday; it would have been nice to give him some playing time in the non-conference games. And now he's talking about moving wide receivers to corner. Where are Estes and Harris? Fleck crossed his fingers and hoped nobody would get hurt or disciplined. Rookie mistake.

One bonus: Fleck gets to use youth and inexperience as an excuse this year. Then, when today's redshirts play for the first time next season, he gets to say it again.

ding, ding, ding, you answered your own questions. He is in year one and is not going to mortgage the future to win this year. That is why Rhoda is QB. Kill did it, Brewster did it, Mason did it. Every coach in history has done it. It's a lot easier if people accept what he speaks and enjoys the process. I hope we can make a bowl, but it will be a struggle.

I don't totally agree with HM on this, but I had noticed that we use lots of starters on special teams right from the first game and I do think Kills/Claeys did a good job of using the next guys up on special teams so that when they had to come on the field later to play D or O it wasn't their first live snap. Also there are limited guys on the team who athletically can fill in here, turning WR into DB's isn't an automatic fit either unless they ever played both ways some of those guys don't like to hit.

The other thing is that you don't plan on losing guys to injury AND disciplinary reason all in a bunch, Winfield and Creighton were tough to lose, but Mcghee is letting his teammates down by not being there to help pick up the slack for whatever reason and if the lesson learned for the future is that breaking the rules doesn't just have consequences for me me me hopefully that gets ingrained so we don't have to see it as much.

The redshirts have been pulled because of necessity. If they would have needed them to play earlier they would have pulled the redshirts sooner.

The redshirts have been pulled because of necessity. If they would have needed them to play earlier they would have pulled the redshirts sooner.

It seemed pretty likely that we would need more bodies in the secondary. I would've expected a freshman corner and safety to play earlier. Maybe we won't have another corner dinged up again the rest of the season, and that would be great. But are we waiting for that to happen before we throw Estes or Hmielewski into a game for the first time in week seven or eight?

I mean, I get that it's pretty tough now. The time to work them in has passed.

Most people realize that first year head coaches at Universities like Minnesota don't have winning records year one.

This is one of many reasons I've said from the start, 5-7 or 6-6 would be a good start on year one.

Well, when you inherit a 9 win, bowl winning team, you'd think he could keep it going, right Heather?

"Look this is on us as coaches, but we have a lack of talent." Is not taking responsibility, it's making excuses while trying to sound like you're taking responsibility.

I don't feel like getting in an internet battle with you on this somber day. All I'll say is that I greatly respect how Fleck handles himself in news conferences and that I'd rather have a coach explain things in an objective optimistic fashion and explain how it can be improved (coaching, more experience, and recruiting) instead of blowing smoke up our arses. If you want a coach that lies about the talent level to sugar coat things when it's obvious to the naked eye the opposite is true then you're definitely on a different page than me.

"Look this is on us as coaches, but we have a lack of talent." Is not taking responsibility, it's making excuses while trying to sound like you're taking responsibility.

My wife loves it when I say, "I'm sorry, BUT......".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How many times previously did Minnesota fire a coach with 9 wins overall and 5 in the Big Ten? I anxiously await your answer.

He's the master at doing that. BUT, when things go well, it's all PEEJ BABY!!

I'm sure the coaches are doing what is necessary. Meanwhile the micro "watching" from the fans will continue.

While the defense was certainly sub-par in the loss, the saddest and most frustrating part of the Maryland game was our coaches inability to figure out how to jump start the running game. We should've run for at least 200. Brooks was bringing it and I would've definitely used McCrary a lot to continue his momentum from 2 weeks ago. They should've had Rhoda under center too. Our passing game has clearly improved and the coaches have made all the difference there and deserve the credit. Likewise, they are to blame for the running game. Brooks and McCrary don't need blocking to gain 4 yards. They do it with sheer power and will. We've all seen that numerous times.

At what minute and second mark did he say that exact quote you quoted?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom