Gophers Defeat Alberta 6-2

Ignatius L Hoops

Reaction score
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I didn't get to the game; but watched in on Btn2go. Mittelstadt had a goal and three assists (one was a nifty move setting up Bristedt's goal).

Had a chance to watch yesterday's exhibition versus Alberta.

The first two periods were rough; Alberta looked like a faster, more physical team. Maybe it was because Canadian college players tend to be much older than American players. Regardless, I felt like they were the better team in many areas.

In the third, the tide turned completely. The Gophers pretty much steamrolled Alberta in the third.

Offensively, this is the most talented team the Gophers have had in recent memory. Casey Mittelstadt is the real deal and possesses a level of talent we haven't had in quite a few years. He's a game-changer for sure. A top-line of he, Rem Pitlick and Tyler Sheehy would be an absolute nightmare for opposing defenses.

Good to see Tommy Novak back after his injury. Was also pretty happy with Scott Reedy. Brent Gates looked like the big, physical forward he tends to play like as well.

Defense still needs a lot of work; that's where the biggest weaknesses were exposed yesterday. If they can iron that out, they could be very good. But this is Gopher hockey, where falling short has now become an annual rite of passage (and an expected tradition), so I'll believe they're a legitimate national contender when I see it.

Top Bottom