Shooter: Gophers averaging 43,487 in first 3 games, 327 per game fewer than last year

Probably because the rest of the B1G schedule hasn't happened yet to prop up the poor attendance at the start of the season

Boy, it's a good thing that Mark Coyle didn't cite poor ticket sales as a valid reason for firing Tracy Claeys, or he'd be looking quite the fool right now.

Yep. And by losing to Maryland today, expect no more than that for Michigan State. If we lose to lose to MSU, Ouch!

Yep. And by losing to Maryland today, expect no more than that for Michigan State. If we lose to lose to MSU, Ouch!

They'll get 40k for Illinois because it's homecoming. Nebraska will travel no matter what ails them. And Wisconsin will pack the bank to watch them win the Axe yet again.

Haha! At least I know I'll be able to walk up and get a ticket from a scalper the rest of this year. Hopefully, next year I have to buy season tickets. Go Gophers!

Anybody hear any update on the plans to increase seating capacity? Mark Coyle mentioned "PJ has come in and has brought a sense of urgency to our football program" He must know something right? What else would it be about? :rolleyes:

Coyle is an uppity prick. He stays away from fans. He sends surrogates to mingle with alumni. We're beneath him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Coyle is an uppity prick. He stays away from fans. He sends surrogates to mingle with alumni. We're beneath him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUO

Something to this at times. Does not matter though, most of us don't need to mingle with the AD.

Not sure if this is true, but if it is, not a good sign. The AD should be mingling with fans at least a little bit. Maturi had plenty of people that criticized him, but he was always out there mingling with fans. He would also answer emails you sent him. Even Teague answered emails and even invited me down to speak with him once (and I'm not female).

Not sure if this is true, but if it is, not a good sign. The AD should be mingling with fans at least a little bit. Maturi had plenty of people that criticized him, but he was always out there mingling with fans. He would also answer emails you sent him. Even Teague answered emails and even invited me down to speak with him once (and I'm not female).
I saw Coyle at every practice I went to this year. I see him around way more than I ever saw Teague.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

I saw Coyle at every practice I went to this year. I see him around way more than I ever saw Teague.

Was he interacting with fans or just watching practice?

Was he interacting with fans or just watching practice?
I didn't talk with him but he was talking to fans and was among them on the sidelines. I know that is just anecdotal but thought I'd mention it as it contrasts with what some on GH are saying.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

I don't want to hear about poor attendance until they play better than that garbage yesterday at home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Man there were a LOT of empty seats yesterday! 3-0 team, first BIG game, new head coach, beautiful day..........I don't get it.

Besides those who just won't pay those damn seat "fees" the after affects of the scandal are being felt. During and after that scandal last year, many people, in the hundreds at least, maybe even in the thousands, said they were done with Gopher football. Many/most people on the Gopher Fan boards encouraged that feeling. Whether in true support or to help get rid of an unpopular coach.

Turns out many of those people were telling the truth and pleas of "they've got a new coach" isn't bringing them back.

Man there were a LOT of empty seats yesterday! 3-0 team, first BIG game, new head coach, beautiful day..........I don't get it.

And we lost. Non-diehard fans are not going to spend their time watching the Gophers when they continue to show incompetence on the field. Everyone knew our non-con schedule was soft and our loss to a weak MD team confirmed that. Until the gophers show that they can compete with the best of them, expect the seats to be empty. There has been a steady decline in attendance since our loss at the Citrus bowl, it seems to me, and until we start beating teams on a regular basis and get great bowl games, I expect apathy towards the gophers to reign in the Cities.

And we lost. Non-diehard fans are not going to spend their time watching the Gophers when they continue to show incompetence on the field. Everyone knew our non-con schedule was soft and our loss to a weak MD team confirmed that. Until the gophers show that they can compete with the best of them, expect the seats to be empty. There has been a steady decline in attendance since our loss at the Citrus bowl, it seems to me, and until we start beating teams on a regular basis and get great bowl games, I expect apathy towards the gophers to reign in the Cities.

Again...it was Teague's seat donation fiasco that has caused the vast majority of the attendance issues. Would be much worse if Coyle hadn't frozen it. Will take years to recover.

http://www.twincities.com/2014/12/01/umn-raising-gophers-stadium-seat-donation-fees/

The highest donations for premium seating at football games, Zone 1, will double in three seasons from $500 in 2014 to $650 in 2015, $800 in 2016 and $1,000 by 2017.

The Zone 2 donations will increase from $250 in 2014, to $450 in 2015, $600 in 2016 and $750 in 2017.

The Zone 3 donations will increase from $100 in 2014, to $150 in 2015, $300 in 2016 and $500 in 2017.

For the first time, the fans seated in Zones 4 and 5 will be required to pay donations. The Zone 4 donations start at $75 in 2015, $150 in 2016 and $250 in 2017. Zone 5 donations will be $50 in 2015, $100 in 2016 and $150 in 2017.

Besides those who just won't pay those damn seat "fees" the after affects of the scandal are being felt. During and after that scandal last year, many people, in the hundreds at least, maybe even in the thousands, said they were done with Gopher football. Many/most people on the Gopher Fan boards encouraged that feeling. Whether in true support or to help get rid of an unpopular coach.

Turns out many of those people were telling the truth and pleas of "they've got a new coach" isn't bringing them back.

Good point on this. It’s going to take some winning and a little time to get the house packed consistently.

Here's a shot the bowl with the score tied 24-24 with 4:00 left in the 4th. Yeesh!:banghead:

file.php

Again...it was Teague's seat donation fiasco that has caused the vast majority of the attendance issues. Would be much worse if Coyle hadn't frozen it. Will take years to recover.

http://www.twincities.com/2014/12/01/umn-raising-gophers-stadium-seat-donation-fees/

The highest donations for premium seating at football games, Zone 1, will double in three seasons from $500 in 2014 to $650 in 2015, $800 in 2016 and $1,000 by 2017.

The Zone 2 donations will increase from $250 in 2014, to $450 in 2015, $600 in 2016 and $750 in 2017.

The Zone 3 donations will increase from $100 in 2014, to $150 in 2015, $300 in 2016 and $500 in 2017.

For the first time, the fans seated in Zones 4 and 5 will be required to pay donations. The Zone 4 donations start at $75 in 2015, $150 in 2016 and $250 in 2017. Zone 5 donations will be $50 in 2015, $100 in 2016 and $150 in 2017.

What I can't understand is who bought the high priced seats and then doesn't show up? Lots of empty seats between the 20's especially on the north side.

What I can't understand is who bought the high priced seats and then doesn't show up? Lots of empty seats between the 20's especially on the north side.

Businesses.

I'll be going to the Nebraska game and was hoping to buy tickets early. $145 for zone 3, $90 for nose bleed, that's ridiculous. I can find good seats in Lincoln for less than that. Looks like I'll be finding tickets through other means.

Businesses.

I'll be going to the Nebraska game and was hoping to buy tickets early. $145 for zone 3, $90 for nose bleed, that's ridiculous. I can find good seats in Lincoln for less than that. Looks like I'll be finding tickets through other means.

Price jumps seem like as much of the problem as anything else. This is not just limited to UMinn, by any means, of course.

"Businesses."?
Must be a hell of a write-off. Might be a bad business decision if they don't use them to build the business or employee morale.

A lot of them are unsold.

Companies buy season tickets and use them as incentives/gifts/promotions with customers. But that assumes the customers want to go to the game.

Maryland is a relatively new addition to the B1G - it's not a traditional opponent like an Iowa or Wisconsin. It's not a helmet school like Michigan or Ohio State. shoot, even a Purdue or an Illinois is a more traditional opponent than Maryland. And, I'll wager there are probably fewer Maryland alumni in the Twin Cities, reducing another typical source of ticket sales.

Sorry to keep repeating myself, but all of the evidence indicates that the hard-core ticket base for Gopher Football is around 35,000. Those people will show up every game, no matter what. beyond that, ticket sales are driven by the opponent. Maryland doesn't sell a lot of tickets. The casual fans are not going to say, "hey, let's go watch the Gophs play Maryland."

And I think some people over-estimated the impact that Fleck would have on ticket sales. People in MN don't buy tickets to see the coach. They buy tickets to see a winner. Gopher men's hoops are selling more tickets because there is genuine optimism about the team, and they are expected to be good. Ticket sales follow victories. If the Gopher FB team wins, they will sell more tickets. But the wins have to come first.

In many cases, they are open/unsold seats because the season ticket holder chose not to renew because of the seat donation increases. Especially true in between the 20's in the upper deck. Most of those seats carry a $300 or $600 donation. I'm on a corner and went from four to two for that reason at $100/seat.

Top Bottom