Observations from Section 143.

Reaction score
1. Maryland beat us on both sides of the ball in the interior.
2. One the DL. We're to set. We need to move the guys in and out of gaps. You do noticed that Richardson is getting double teamed. He had on solo tackle on a busted sweep.
3. Read option, enough said. Rhoda could've pulled the ball several times for positive yards
4. Why don't we run the flanks like Maryland did with Johnson? My guess is our OL can't seal the edge. The inside the tackle runs arn't working. I don't believe we tried one jet sweep.
5. Duke McGee makes that tackle on the last run. True feshman Holly was out of position.
6. Drops that hurt. Huff missing the bunny interception. Howard missing the slant pass that was tipped for a interception.
7. If your going to pound the rock between tackles, where's Kobie?
8. Shanault playing 10 yards off the WR? He gave up an easy 5 yards on quick outs.
9. Getting the ball to Brooks and Smith in space. Not doing it.
10. Need to have Rhoda under center more for straight handoffs and quick hitters Our OL can't hold the blocks long enough on read options from the gun
Summary: Hurt not to have Winfield and McGee. I also think you can't have 245 pound DE's in the B1G. Winston and Carter didn't get close to touching the QB. In closing, it's a process, and right now I honestly think we need to play a near perfect game to win with our current players dealing with injuries and suspension's and such. I believe it will get better, so I'm in for the long haul

Good list, but I thought it was was Tyler Johnson who let that ball go through his hands before it got intercepted?

1. Maryland beat us on both sides of the ball in the interior.
2. One the DL. We're to set. We need to move the guys in and out of gaps. You do noticed that Richardson is getting double teamed. He had on solo tackle on a busted sweep.
3. Read option, enough said. Rhoda could've pulled the ball several times for positive yards
4. Why don't we run the flanks like Maryland did with Johnson? My guess is our OL can't seal the edge. The inside the tackle runs arn't working. I don't believe we tried one jet sweep.
5. Duke McGee makes that tackle on the last run. True feshman Holly was out of position.
6. Drops that hurt. Huff missing the bunny interception. Howard missing the slant pass that was tipped for a interception.
7. If your going to pound the rock between tackles, where's Kobie?
8. Shanault playing 10 yards off the WR? He gave up an easy 5 yards on quick outs.
9. Getting the ball to Brooks and Smith in space. Not doing it.
10. Need to have Rhoda under center more for straight handoffs and quick hitters Our OL can't hold the blocks long enough on read options from the gun
Summary: Hurt not to have Winfield and McGee. I also think you can't have 245 pound DE's in the B1G. Winston and Carter didn't get close to touching the QB. In closing, it's a process, and right now I honestly think we need to play a near perfect game to win with our current players dealing with injuries and suspension's and such. I believe it will get better, so I'm in for the long haul

I think it was actually Johnson that missed the drilled pass that tipped off his hands and was intercepted in the red zone. #41 Barber missed his assignment on the touchdown run, he vacated his gap and tried to create pressure filling behind Richardson, but actually ran himself out of that play, at least the chance to disrupt the run. With the Safety Handy Holly not staying in the middle of the field that touchdown was easy pickings and the back was not touched So so you chock that up to inexperience and being thrown in because of injury's. Coughlin playing rush end and Martin playing defensive end spots are unmitigated disasters from a design and execution standpoint. Neither is quick enough to beat anyone one on one(not skilled enough at hand fighting nor have the hand strength and lengthfor it. They both vacate there rush lanes to try and go after the quarterback because they have been told to rush the passer but lack the instincts or experience for it. IF you put them both back at linebacker and let them make plays that way you would see a different story, playing them out of position isn't helping the team succeed even if it is a sacrifice because neither will ever have the size to be defensive ends and stand up to the poundings they will take in the Big 10 conference. Maryland had some good play calling and caught the Gophers off guard at times. Hurts not to have your best players on the field. Winfield and Celestin clean up a lot of mistakes.
Nobody set's the edge or even get's in the way. Problem is I don't know who you play at defensive end, I would rather have the freshmen with size at defensive end than continue to try and play Coughlin and Martin out there. Give those guy's a chance Coughlin and Martin with Celestine and mix up the ends more with other people. The lack if true defensive ends is going to continue to hurt this team, they lack rotational tackles and defensive ends, and that's not complaining from the coaches, it's just the reality of the numbers they have. Scheme can only do so much without strength or speed.

Read option and all of the fakes and the mesh are going to continue to fail if Rhoda doesn't pull the ball down and take the outside zone at least a few times a game. Everything becomes to predictable otherwise. Would have been nice if the first play wasn't almost always inside zone up the middle each play.

Top Bottom