'97 Haskins Reunion This Weekend! Awesome!

As I was a student at the U during this magical year, reading this really warms my heart!

http://www.startribune.com/clem-haskins-returns-to-u-campus-for-gophers-reunion/448843153/

"Things happen, and we all make mistakes in life," Haskins said. "I'm no different than anyone else. But you remember the good times. Those memories will last a lifetime."

Earlier Saturday morning, Gophers coach Richard Pitino invited Haskins and several basketball alumni to watch Saturday’s practice at Williams Arena. Haskins spoke to Pitino’s team following the second practice of the season.

“Ever since he’s been here, he’s been very kind to me and invited me up,” Haskins said of Pitino. “I said a few words to the players. I’m so glad to see [former player Richard Coffey’s] son there, Amir. So many kids have gone out of the state. Now they’re staying here.”

This year was the 20th anniversary of the U’s vacated 1997 Final Four team, which had its records wiped away because of an academic scandal that led to Haskins’ resignation. Haskins hasn’t coached since he left the school in 1999. But he returned to Minnesota when the university honored his 1989 Sweet 16 team in 2014 and when his 1990 Elite Eight team was honored in 2009.

Among the players from the 1997 Final Four team to see Haskins on Saturday were Bobby Jackson, John Thomas, Trevor Winter and Quincy Lewis. Players from other U teams under Haskins included Willie Burton, Voshon Leonard, Ariel McDonald, John Aune and Walter Bond, who helped organize the reunion.

Go Gophers!!

I know GopherLady saw Antoine Broxise and Rob Schoenrock as well at the football game as both were at the Reunion too.

Go Gophers!!

I was able to tail gate with this group today before the game. The team went to Trevor Winters tail gate location and celebrated together. It was really cool to see them all there. Walter Bond was one of the nicest guys I have met in a long time. He talked about why he chose the U coming out of. Chicago and stated he wanted a big ten experience with a metro town. He really feels we have a lot going for us at the U right now.

Clem and past players

IMG_3921.jpgHere is a picture of most of the past players with Clem

I was able to tail gate with this group today before the game. The team went to Trevor Winters tail gate location and celebrated together. It was really cool to see them all there. Walter Bond was one of the nicest guys I have met in a long time. He talked about why he chose the U coming out of. Chicago and stated he wanted a big ten experience with a metro town. He really feels we have a lot going for us at the U right now.

A lot of really good dudes among Clem's alumni. Hard to find better men than Bond, Connell Lewis, Ariel McDonald, John Thomas, Trevor Winter and Quincy Lewis.

I know GopherLady saw Antoine Broxise and Rob Schoenrock as well at the football game as both were at the Reunion too.

Go Gophers!!

It was so funny...Rob stops by a few of our tailgates, and I did a double take - I was like Antoine Broxie!?! I know you. One of my fellow flip cup players was so star struck that he almost lost the game for us, lol!

Here are a few more that Rob's wife sent me:

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I asked this on another thread but didn't get a response. Does anybody know why Willie Burton isn't honored among the program's greats in the rafters? As someone who was in school the same years as him, and witnessed his greatness first-hand that led to Sweet 16 and Elite Eight runs, it's a no-brainer he belongs there.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

I asked this on another thread but didn't get a response. Does anybody know why Willie Burton isn't honored among the program's greats in the rafters? As someone who was in school the same years as him, and witnessed his greatness first-hand that led to Sweet 16 and Elite Eight runs, it's a no-brainer he belongs there.

If he got his degree I'm sure it's a matter of time and working the logistics out. From a hoops standpoint I agree it's a no doubter

You could see it during their playing days and it's clear that its still evident now, Clem's guys would have run through a brick wall for him.

per Shooter:

Major Gophers benefactor Dick Ames provided his private jet to fly old pal Clem Haskins to Minneapolis from Haskins’ posh 700-acre farm in Campbellsville, Ky., last week to be honored by his former University of Minnesota basketball players and assistants.

More than a dozen of Haskins players — some flying in from across the country — toasted their former coach at J.D. Hoyt’s supper club last Friday, then tailgated at the Minnesota-Maryland football game last Saturday, then toasted him at a reception at Oak Ridge Country Club on Sunday.

Players included Bobby Jackson, Walter Bond, Arriel McDonald, Tim Hanson, Quincy Lewis, Kevin Lynch, Rob Metcalf, Voshon Leonard, Willie Burton, Townsend Orr, John Thomas and Trevor Winter.

Haskins, 74, forced to resign in 1999 after an academic scandal, was brought to tears at a testimonial brunch at Oak Ridge. He told friends that current Gophers coach Richard Pitino treated him like a king during the weekend, which he greatly appreciated, and acknowledged his mistakes while at Minnesota.

“We wanted to honor him,” a former player said. “I didn’t want that my last time to see him would be in a box.”

http://www.twincities.com/2017/10/0...n-to-work-on-speed-training-during-offseason/

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom