Coyle: 'P.J. has come in and has brought a sense of urgency to our program

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per the Daily:

You hired P.J. Fleck nearly 10 months ago, now he is off to a 3-0 start, how do you feel about the current state of the football program?

First off, I'm very thankful for our football student-athletes. Those young men have had three coaches in three years and they've been through an awful lot and I am so grateful for how they have handled everything. P.J. has come in and has brought a sense of urgency to our program, but again, our football students have responded so positively, and obviously we're excited about the 3-0 start. I'm equally excited about the academic success of our football program, they went out and had their highest grade point average semester ever at Minnesota, their first semester under P.J.

What do you think the future holds for this program especially in conference play this season, but also in future seasons?

I know they're excited to open up Big Ten play, and my job as athletic director, not only for football, but for all of our sports, is to make sure we do everything we can to give our coaches and our students the stuff they need to compete at that high level.

What are your thoughts on the culture around the football program, and what have you seen so far as public reception to the culture change?

I've talked about shaking the tree, and [Fleck has] brought this excitement, and when you look at, for example, when Justin [Juenemann] gets the scholarship offer through the T-shirt gun, and he catches it, when your football program's on the Today Show, when your football program's on ABC national news, when there's a reality TV show around coach Fleck and our football program ... that's all wonderful publicity for our program.

http://www.mndaily.com/article/2017...has-brought-a-sense-of-urgency-to-our-program

Go Gophers!!

A sense of urgency? Wait three years and then maybe we’ll be good doesn’t seem urgent to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I really only care about what an AD has to say about a HC if they're being critical or say looking for the kiss of death / vote of confidence when they're actually on the hot seat.

Outside that I'm not sure an AD is going to be a good evaluator as it's his job that is to some extent or not on the line with these hires. He is not going to be critical unless it is a really bad situation.....

A sense of urgency? Wait three years and then maybe we’ll be good doesn’t seem urgent to me.

Right. We'll just give Nick Saban $20M per year to switch teams right now and then we'll win the rest of our games this year. That's how it works...immediate results. Probably win the natty too. Or at least by next year if we get Saban.

No. No we won’t.

Not what I said at all, but tell yourself whatever makes you feel better.

A piss poor interview by a piss poor interviewee. Coyle is clueless and actively works against the efforts of his coach. That is a problem.

Kill?Claeys have everything to do with the better grades culture. Shaking the tree? Bozo.

No. No we won’t.

A piss poor interview by a piss poor interviewee. Coyle is clueless and actively works against the efforts of his coach. That is a problem.

Yes, it's all piss poor. The sky is falling and after 4 games Coyle is actively working to make a failure of the coach he hired.

No. No we won’t.

Why do you say this? Do you know things the rest of do not know? Actively works against the efforts of his coach? Any examples or factual information? Last I knew, the AD's job was to oversee the entire athletic department which consists of more than just football...23 varsity athletic teams to be exact.

I am not arguing with you but just want to know your reasoning in regards to Coyle being clueless and actively working against the efforts of his coach.

Yes, it's all piss poor. The sky is falling and after 4 games Coyle is actively working to make a failure of the coach he hired.

Whoa, whoa, whoa Buck Rodgers.

I didn’t say it was intentional on Coyle’s part, he’s just clueless.

Fleck has been all about patience. About doing things right. About building something better and hasn’t been shy that he expects it to take time.

His boss just said Fleck feels a sense of urgency. That is the complete opposite of what Fleck is preaching.

There is a disconnect between Coyle and the message, again. The guy should not be allowed to speak in public.

You’re just a scosh sensitive aren’t you?

Admittedly I really do dislike the AD. Unlike some I do like the current coach.

That offered a really poor headline lead after Saturday's performance.

There's probably a Princess Bride line that's appropriate...

Whoa, whoa, whoa Buck Rodgers.

I didn’t say it was intentional on Coyle’s part, he’s just clueless.

Fleck has been all about patience. About doing things right. About building something better and hasn’t been shy that he expects it to take time.

His boss just said Fleck feels a sense of urgency. That is the complete opposite of what Fleck is preaching.

There is a disconnect between Coyle and the message, again. The guy should not be allowed to speak in public.

You’re just a scosh sensitive aren’t you?

Says the guy who is compelled to reply twice already.

The tl;dr version: "PJ came in and saved my job."

Top Bottom