Here's what I heard in Fleck's post game remarks...

MennoSota

Reaction score
"The kids played hard, but they are inferior athletes compared to Maryland players. I can't win with inferior talent."

What did you hear Fleck say in the post-game press conference?

"The kids played hard, but they are inferior athletes compared to Maryland players. I can't win with inferior talent."

"We weren't ready to play and Maryland played with more passion and energy than us which should never happen. I put the blame on myself and our coaching staff as we didn't have the guys ready to go and need to do a better job of developing a gameplan to put guys in the best position to be successful."

I heard him say this:

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

And this:

And I also heard him say this:

Go Gophers!!

I care what he actually said, not what a hater heard.

I heard him say this:

And this:

Go Gophers!!
I never heard him say pic.twitter.com... [emoji41]

I heard him say this:

And this:

Go Gophers!!

+1000 Can't reason with the Claeysists and whatever they try and make up in their heads.

Could someone be so kind as to supply the entire presser? Thank you

I heard him say:
"Antoine is my only star athlete. When he went down we couldn't do anything but run a vanilla defense because none of the others can play." [emoji41]

+1000 Can't reason with the Claeysists and whatever they try and make up in their heads.

We can't all be as objective of the coach as you GWG. Be patient with the rest of us, OK?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I heard him say talent wins games and we don't have enough talent to play like crap and still win. For the team with less talent to win, you need to win the turnover battle and take advantage of the opportunities you do have.

We can't all be as objective of the coach as you GWG. Be patient with the rest of us, OK?

Wait, I thought he had your support.

Wait, I thought he had your support.

Where did I say he didn't? This repeated take of yours shows just how bright you are. PJ had a bad game. His team was outcoached. I am yet to say we should fire him or won't ever win another game. He needs to do better tho. Would be nice if he took some blame as well.

Where did I say he didn't? This repeated take of yours shows just how bright you are. PJ had a bad game. His team was outcoached. I am yet to say we should fire him or won't ever win another game. He needs to do better tho. Would be nice if he took some blame as well.

He did take the blame more than once.

He did take the blame more than once.

Good to know. I didn't see that in his presser write up and I don't listen to him talk out loud myself anymore. I'm glad to know he did.

"We don't have enough talent." That is a direct quote. And one of the first things he said in the press conference.

Now, that may in fact be a correct assessment of the situation. Maryland may have more raw talent than the Gophers. But, do you just blurt it out like that? It could be seen as a criticism of the players, something I thought Fleck said he doesn't do.

If he wants to shoulder the blame, it would have been just as easy to say "we got outcoached," or "we got outplayed." Instead, he went with "not enough talent."

"We don't have enough talent." That is a direct quote. And one of the first things he said in the press conference.

Now, that may in fact be a correct assessment of the situation. Maryland may have more raw talent than the Gophers. But, do you just blurt it out like that? It could be seen as a criticism of the players, something I thought Fleck said he doesn't do.

If he wants to shoulder the blame, it would have been just as easy to say "we got outcoached," or "we got outplayed." Instead, he went with "not enough talent."
Even if you think it's true you shouldn't say that publicly. Just say you got outcoached and leave it at that.

Sent from my Commodore 64 using Tapatalk

I believe that quote was in the context of - we don't have enough talent to win when we make as many mistakes as we did today - or something to that effect. He did mention in the press conference the superb talent of Maryland's 2 receivers and 2 running backs and how hard it was to match up with young inexperienced D backs with Winfield out. I don't see any issue with that.

I heard an intelligent, competent coach that knows and understands the game, the reality of his team's talent level and development, and respect for quality opponents.

Look: I saw, as did pretty much everyone, times when Rhoda could have kept the ball for 5-10 yards or maybe more. I also suspect that he's under strict orders to always favor getting the ball out of his hands. While I don't know just where Green is in terms of readiness, I suspect that we can't afford anymore risk to Rhoda than absolutely necessary--even if it ends up being the difference in the game. We know there's depth in the backs.

We had some trouble with their athleticism. When I played small college ball, I had my redshirt pulled and played as a freshman. I recall one game in particular where I was flat overmatched. Didn't mean I was suddenly a bad player--the fact was that God just gave the guy I was up against more to work with and all the coaching in the world wasn't going to give me the ability to match his strength, speed, and quickness. Not only was I overmatched, the coach only had so many ways of trying to deal with that fact--double down, but then someone else is open. Basically, we just ran everything off the opposite side and hoped I could slow him down a little. The point is this: This stuff is an ongoing fact of life, especially in the B1G. Acknowledge it, deal with it as best you can, and give it your best.

The team is what is and everything I see tells me that this is a well-coached team. Just because a team is well-coached doesn't mean they don't lose, and just because a team loses, it doesn't mean they were outcoached.

I told my wife after MTSU that I thought we were a 5-7 to 7-5 team this season--I just couldn't decide which. I'd be happy to split the difference for bowl eligibility and the extra development. 8 or more, and I'd concede Fleck's even better than I thought.

In any event, I don't give a d--n about last year's team, or what Claeys would have done, etc. etc. My biggest regret is we couldn't keep Sawvel, but that obviously wasn't going to happen.

This is a different team--a much different team--obviously working hard, developing nicely, and I love their heart and soul. Today doesn't change that.

Better to say "we have enough talent to win a national championship this season, but the team dropped the ball against a team starting a 3rd string quarterback"

PJ: It's my fault but let me tell you why it's not really true.

Fake news. You took the 'we don't have enough talent' out of context. As in he said something like: We don't have the depth, we don't have the talent in terms of top to bottom...

In context, it's not some elaborate diss on the players or ducking of responsibility or something. It's a simple statement of his assessment.

Better to say "we have enough talent to win a national championship this season, but the team dropped the ball against a team starting a 3rd string quarterback"

Another great post Josh. You totally get the point being made.

Fake news. You took the 'we don't have enough talent' out of context. As in he said something like: We don't have the depth, we don't have the talent in terms of top to bottom...

In context, it's not some elaborate diss on the players or ducking of responsibility or something. It's a simple statement of his assessment.
Please don't say fake news again.

Sent from my Commodore 64 using Tapatalk

Agreed. For me, it's refreshing to get a coach who's willing to discuss game issues objectively with the media (and we the fans as an extension). I thought PJ was pretty analytical and matter-of-fact in reasoning.

Top Bottom