Here's what I heard in Fleck's post game remarks...

We do need more talent. And depth, and speed, and skill. Fleck gets that. I think that is why we are building the new football facility.

Go Gophers !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He was frustrated for sure. Had to go to base defense when Winfield went down, Antoine was going to be on their best receiver all day. Fleck took plenty of blame, felt like the lack of talent he was speaking of should have been lack of experience, just not enough depth yet. Criticized guys for not making tackles but in the end said that's on him and they can fi that. Only a 13 minute presser when they lose compared to 20+ minutes when they win. Need more talent so they can still win when they don't have their "A" game.

I heard him say:
"Antoine is my only star athlete. When he went down we couldn't do anything but run a vanilla defense because none of the others can play." [emoji41]

He actually said they decided to play a vanilla defense rather than plug in winfield's backup into his spot. Which makes sense if the guy can't do what Winfield can do.

They probably knew when Winfield went down they wouldn't be as good. They probably hoped offense could carry the load today. Offense couldn't and defense ended up wearing down. It happens.

If you were expecting 14-0 this year I guess that is out now.

I heard an intelligent, competent coach that knows and understands the game, the reality of his team's talent level and development, and respect for quality opponents.

Look: I saw, as did pretty much everyone, times when Rhoda could have kept the ball for 5-10 yards or maybe more. I also suspect that he's under strict orders to always favor getting the ball out of his hands. While I don't know just where Green is in terms of readiness, I suspect that we can't afford anymore risk to Rhoda than absolutely necessary--even if it ends up being the difference in the game. We know there's depth in the backs.

We had some trouble with their athleticism. When I played small college ball, I had my redshirt pulled and played as a freshman. I recall one game in particular where I was flat overmatched. Didn't mean I was suddenly a bad player--the fact was that God just gave the guy I was up against more to work with and all the coaching in the world wasn't going to give me the ability to match his strength, speed, and quickness. Not only was I overmatched, the coach only had so many ways of trying to deal with that fact--double down, but then someone else is open. Basically, we just ran everything off the opposite side and hoped I could slow him down a little. The point is this: This stuff is an ongoing fact of life, especially in the B1G. Acknowledge it, deal with it as best you can, and give it your best.

The team is what is and everything I see tells me that this is a well-coached team. Just because a team is well-coached doesn't mean they don't lose, and just because a team loses, it doesn't mean they were outcoached.

I told my wife after MTSU that I thought we were a 5-7 to 7-5 team this season--I just couldn't decide which. I'd be happy to split the difference for bowl eligibility and the extra development. 8 or more, and I'd concede Fleck's even better than I thought.

In any event, I don't give a d--n about last year's team, or what Claeys would have done, etc. etc. My biggest regret is we couldn't keep Sawvel, but that obviously wasn't going to happen.

This is a different team--a much different team--obviously working hard, developing nicely, and I love their heart and soul. Today doesn't change that.

Well said.

I agree with the Rhoda not keeping the ball. Guys next to me were critical of that but basically told him what you said.

Rhoda is best suited for a pro-I type system and probably the OL as well. The Gophers will continue to have trouble running the ball with #15 at QB but he must be our best overall option. Hope Smith and Brooks can stay healthy.

My concern is that Smith was not able to dial up a D scheme that was able to get to their 3rd string QB. It appears he is not in the same league as Sawvel.

I give the Terps RB's and WR's credit as they were a tough combo to handle in space. Same with their OL and QB.

It was a very winnable game but the guys did not make crucial plays.

See the usual suspects in this thread making things up in their heads simply because they don’t like the coach.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"We don't have enough talent." That is a direct quote. And one of the first things he said in the press conference.

Now, that may in fact be a correct assessment of the situation. Maryland may have more raw talent than the Gophers. But, do you just blurt it out like that? It could be seen as a criticism of the players, something I thought Fleck said he doesn't do.

If he wants to shoulder the blame, it would have been just as easy to say "we got outcoached," or "we got outplayed." Instead, he went with "not enough talent."
Not enough talent to makes mistakes in all 3 phases and still win the game. Goes back to his main point, they didn't deserve to win.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

Where did I say he didn't? This repeated take of yours shows just how bright you are. PJ had a bad game. His team was outcoached. I am yet to say we should fire him or won't ever win another game. He needs to do better tho. Would be nice if he took some blame as well.

Did PJ turn it over 4 times? Lose the turnover battle 4-0 and you're going to lose. Period.

Did PJ turn it over 4 times? Lose the turnover battle 4-0 and you're going to lose. Period.

No one turned the ball over 4 times.
As for the reasons coaching was a major contributor to this loss - been discussed and detailed enough already.

Some of you are miserable.

You are like the Cubs fans who lit up forums complaining because a Theo Epstein led Cubs team lost 192 games in 2011-2012.

Good to know. I didn't see that in his presser write up and I don't listen to him talk out loud myself anymore. I'm glad to know he did.

Why were you judging, then? Maybe you should listen to him before formulating a written opinion on what he said. ???

Better to say "we have enough talent to win a national championship this season, but the team dropped the ball against a team starting a 3rd string quarterback"

So you're saying you like people who lie?

Listening to Coach this morning on Sid and Dave really gave me the impression that he really saw for the first time the challenge here at Minnesota to move up into the next tier of the B1G West.

It's a combination of things...as it's always been...but the one thing above all else we can't do on the field is be flat a la not accomplishing the fundamentals...especially in more than one phase of the game.

Yesterday all three phases were out of whack from the start. Match that against a prepared Maryland team and you get what we saw yesterday...certainly a winnable game but not in the cards.

Coach said he thought we were ready to play but weren't. He took responsibility for that fact. We've seen and heard this before.

Hopefully no new attitude issues, some nicked or benched players come back, and coaches earn their pay for the week.

We as Gophers fans know we can't take any opponent for granted. Just getting a new sheriff won't change this fact.

New data will be available next week. On to Purdue...

Saban/Alabama lost to a 1AA team in year one. Relax.

Should have said: we didn't play with urgency. Didn't play with energy. Didn't play with commitment. Didn't play with compassion. Average players can win when they play with commitment and passion. We aren't good enough yet to win without playing with energy. Maybe in 3 years, but not now.

Should have said: we didn't play with urgency. Didn't play with energy. Didn't play with commitment. Didn't play with compassion. Average players can win when they play with commitment and passion. We aren't good enough yet to win without playing with energy. Maybe in 3 years, but not now.

Nice how you slipped that in there...

Fleck actually said he had no issue with players' dedication or how hard they played. Not fitting your narrative, I guess.

Nice how you slipped that in there...

Fleck actually said he had no issue with players' dedication or how hard they played. Not fitting your narrative, I guess.

But if Fleck had said that, you would be telling everyone he threw his players under the bus and didn't take responsibility for the loss.

Some of you are miserable.

You are like the Cubs fans who lit up forums complaining because a Theo Epstein led Cubs team lost 192 games in 2011-2012.

This isn't MLB. The Gophers can't spend huge $$$ bringing in talent like the Cubs did. Did Epstein run his club like an Awanas chapter?

A few months ago, we had a potentially strong defensive backfield coming into this year.

Winfield, McGee, Buford, and Hardin would've been nice.

But if Fleck had said that, you would be telling everyone he threw his players under the bus and didn't take responsibility for the loss.

Well, he did say it, in his presser. What exactly is your point?

From the MD postgame presser notes thread:

http://www.forums.gopherhole.com/boards/showthread.php?78431-Maryland-Postgame-Presser-Notes

Thought the team played extremely hard. References lack of depth, again. Says more freshmen are going to have to start. Going to continue to develop them. Said he never questioned how hard they played. Didn’t play sloppy, poor, or undisciplined. Proud of how hard they played.

Why were you judging, then? Maybe you should listen to him before formulating a written opinion on what he said. ???

As stated in the post you quoted - I was basing it on the presser write up. In an effort to keep my blood pressure in check I have sworn off listening to PJ when he speaks out loud. I find him far more tolerable and respectable that way. Honestly, it is better for everyone on GH.

A few months ago, we had a potentially strong defensive backfield coming into this year.

Winfield, McGee, Buford, and Hardin would've been nice.

No doubt. And yesterday MN basically played the entire game without any of them. Two other CB's hurt as well. So that's 2 CB's to expulsion, 2 CB's to injury, 1 S to injury, and 1 S to suspension.

Like you said in another thread, team played terribly yesterday and still probably should've won. FB is crazy...

Top Bottom