80 yards total rushing

oak_street1981

Reaction score
Think about that , 80 yards rushing for the day.

Any shock we lost?

Hard to run up the middle against 8-9 man boxes with ZERO threat of the QB option.....Game plan/coaching is lacking.

We are lacking the depth of talent that Maryland has. They were ranked 17th in the country last year in recruiting and about 25th(?) the previous year.

I am not too worried. PJ Fleck will get the recruits that will help with the turn around.

We are lacking the depth of talent that Maryland has. They were ranked 17th in the country last year in recruiting and about 25th(?) the previous year.

I am not too worried. PJ Fleck will get the recruits that will help with the turn around.

Absolutely correct. It's not coaching. It's the recruiting from the last two years. Having a QB that can't run, not coaching but recruiting. Having only 4 defensive tackles that can play, not coaching but recruiting. Having only 3 cornerbacks that can defend, not coaching but recruiting. Could go on and on. But in 3 years, PJ won't have that excuse.

Recruiting doesn't explain giving away a man when on offense -Rhoda can run well enough. It doesn't explain an unwillingness to exploit one on one matchups or keep defenses honest. Recruiting doesn't explain linebackers being out of their gap on defense. Kicking out of bounds isn't a recruiting problem.

Sure, we missed McGhee and Winfield, no doubt. Our CBs either can't or aren't allowed to play man. The prior staff filled holes with quality JUCOs, several that went on to the NFL. That's a coach's decision.

I hate to break it to you, but neither of Fleck's classes thus far really bump the needle the top half of the conference. Benny Sapp is a big question mark. If we're going to rely on talent alone to get over the hump we're looking at probably 2020-2021 to really start building momentum.

Absolutely correct. It's not coaching. It's the recruiting from the last two years. Having a QB that can't run, not coaching but recruiting. Having only 4 defensive tackles that can play, not coaching but recruiting. Having only 3 cornerbacks that can defend, not coaching but recruiting. Could go on and on. But in 3 years, PJ won't have that excuse.

Absolutely correct. It's not coaching. It's the recruiting from the last two years. Having a QB that can't run, not coaching but recruiting. ...

Present day coaching had nothing to do with the loss. Not having more than 4 defensive tackles that can play is about recruiting not coaching.

As so many have stated, we lacked the athletes to compete. Coaching had nothing to do with this game. Recruiting in past years did. I would...

Just do a full copy and paste. Save yourself time.

Recruiting doesn't explain giving away a man when on offense -Rhoda can run well enough. It doesn't explain an unwillingness to exploit one on one matchups or keep defenses honest. Recruiting doesn't explain linebackers being out of their gap on defense. Kicking out of bounds isn't a recruiting problem.

Sure, we missed McGhee and Winfield, no doubt. Our CBs either can't or aren't allowed to play man. The prior staff filled holes with quality JUCOs, several that went on to the NFL. That's a coach's decision.

I hate to break it to you, but neither of Fleck's classes thus far really bump the needle the top half of the conference. Benny Sapp is a big question mark. If we're going to rely on talent alone to get over the hump we're looking at probably 2020-2021 to really start building momentum.

Good Lord, overreact much? One loss and now we're looking at 2020 to turn the corner...whaaat?

A coach has to be adaptable. A coach needs to be willing to look for solutions when something isn't working. A coach needs to put players in positions to succeed. If you have a QB that can't run and you insist on calling plays that may require him to run, that's bad coaching. There's a hell of a lot more to being a head coach than just getting players to commit to your school.

Sorry, but wrong. We have more than enough talent to beat Maryland, particularly with two weeks to prepare. This game was a total failure by our coaches to properly prepare and react, not a talent issue.

Holy f*uck this place is a buzz kill. What’s the suicide rate in GopherHole?

100%.

That's why it's so hard to have an intelligent conversation here--new group every week.

Good Lord, overreact much? One loss and now we're looking at 2020 to turn the corner...whaaat?

I was replying to those that seem to think this is 100% recruiting. IF one truly believes that... it's going to be awhile until we run with the big boys.

I DON'T believe it's all recruiting. Is it stubbornness, preparation issues, guys playing tight? Scheme? All debatable.

Holy f*uck this place is a buzz kill. What’s the suicide rate in GopherHole?

100% this. Wow do people overreact here! I thought 90% of the people were jumping after the Rutgers game...that the Gophers won! Maryland is NOT a bad team, that team has talent. Let's see what happens the rest of the season. Man alive I had no idea the Gophers were competing with Bama and Clemson for the national title this season!

Yep, it's chippy in the gopherhole this weekend.

Lots of PTSD and Holtz/Brewster flashbacks surfacing.

I'm hoping we can have a "forgive and forget" tailgate someday.

Just can't decide if it should be in Indianapolis or Pasadena.

I'll probably have some time to decide.

Yep, it's chippy in the gopherhole this weekend.

Lots of PTSD and Holtz/Brewster flashbacks surfacing.

As much as it's a "shoe on the other foot" situation with some pretty apparent hypocrisy mixed in...

It's so cliche but true....it's not who you play but when you play them.

Maryland was coming off a loss to USF and probably saw Minnesota as a must-win game with Ohio State visiting next weekend. They lost their top 2 QB's to injury and everyone was doubting them and writing them off this week at Minnesota.

As Gophers fans, we will learn a lot about this team this week and how they respond to a tough road test at Purdue. Purdue is legit under Brohm. There last game was a very tough played game against Michigan. They are also coming off their bye week and it will be a very emotional weekend in West Lafayette with the passing of Joe Tiller.

Win or Lose, if Minnesota can come out strong next weekend at Purdue and give a solid performance, I am not going to worry too much about the Maryland loss. Every team usually has at least one clunker of a game each season.

And maybe, just maybe, PJ will lead us to a (unexpected) victory in Ann Arbor or Iowa City or finally beat Wisconsin. That's why they play the games. It's not uncommon for teams to have a bad game coming off a bye week, it's how they respond the following week and I expect the Gophers to respond this week with a much better effort at Purdue.
Most people expected this team to win anywhere from 6 to 8 games this year so it's not like they were going to go 12-0.

Maryland was coming off a loss to USF and probably saw Minnesota as a must-win game with Ohio State visiting next weekend. They lost their top 2 QB's to injury and everyone was doubting them and writing them off this week at Minnesota.

As Gophers fans, we will learn a lot about this team this week and how they respond to a tough road test at Purdue. Purdue is legit under Brohm. There last game was a very tough played game against Michigan. They are also coming off their bye week and it will be a very emotional weekend in West Lafayette with the passing of Joe Tiller.

Win or Lose, if Minnesota can come out strong next weekend at Purdue and give a solid performance, I am not going to worry too much about the Maryland loss. Every team usually has at least one clunker of a game each season.

And maybe, just maybe, PJ will lead us to a (unexpected) victory in Ann Arbor or Iowa City or finally beat Wisconsin. That's why they play the games. It's not uncommon for teams to have a bad game coming off a bye week, it's how they respond the following week and I expect the Gophers to respond this week with a much better effort at Purdue.

Excellent post

Most people expected this team to win anywhere from 6 to 8 games this year so it's not like they were going to go 12-0.

Quit making sense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree.

But I'm going to worry too.... but I already was worried so... no change there just based on this game.

Think about that , 80 yards rushing for the day.

Any shock we lost?
Not at all. They were averaging 4.1 yards per carry against a weak non conference schedule. It seems hard to believe that drastically improve once they start playing some teams with tougher from sevens. They have not blocked well all year.

Here's a guy that gets it. I don't know about the rest of you but I watch the games for entertainment and my connection to all things Minnesota. Others apparently are in one and one matches to the death with the outcome, sorry to hear that...I will miss your posts. R.I.P.

Here's a guy that gets it. I don't know about the rest of you but I watch the games for entertainment and my connection to all things Minnesota. Others apparently are in one and one matches to the death with the outcome, sorry to hear that...I will miss your posts. R.I.P.

Let's face it, this is entertainment and an outlet for all of us. It's an escape. Some clearly want the inspiration from Fleck and need to have something to believe in 100%, others love learning about and supporting their favorite players, others love learning about the the Xs and Os of the best organized sport in the world, others the drama and ridiculousness of it all. Some which shan't be mentioned love and hate football all at the same time. It's a mad, mad world.

Seems like a lot of predictable/vanilla type stuff up the gut with Smith and Brooks. Is bowling ball the best we can do?

Seems like a lot of predictable/vanilla type stuff up the gut with Smith and Brooks. Is bowling ball the best we can do?

That's the right question, but I don't have the answer because I don't know what I don't know. And that's one of the reasons coaching is tough. As a coach, you can't explain everything to everybody and you have to deal with problems like this: OK, I'm on my second string center already and he has a high ankle sprain--tape it, but can't pull left. My best guard has a partially torn rotator cuff--he's better than the backup by a mile even if injured, but we'll have to plan to favor pull right, etc, etc. Sometimes you don't have good options, especially if you're thin and/or young.

That's why I'm inclined to give any coach that shows signs of knowing their business the benefit of the doubt.

BTW, that's also one of the reasons I'm grateful to the people at the games that post their impressions here afterward. On TV, I frequently can't get a clear sense of the line play beyond it's going well or not.

100% this. Wow do people overreact here! I thought 90% of the people were jumping after the Rutgers game...that the Gophers won! Maryland is NOT a bad team, that team has talent. Let's see what happens the rest of the season. Man alive I had no idea the Gophers were competing with Bama and Clemson for the national title this season!

If the team fails consistantly at fundamental things (like being able to hold the edge) and coaches fail to make adjustments, I think fans have the right to vent.

An inside zone running scheme that Flect wants to run is one of the hardest to develop. You throw in injuries and lack of experience and you are seeing the results. You have a left guard #78 who is constant slow off the ball probably because he's not sure how to make the combo block work. It is not a scheme where you aggressively nock someone off the line. It's looks like a simple scheme to implement but it is not. Last year our base play was power. That play you aggressively double team the point of attack with angles, much easier to run. Wisconsin has made a fortune out of it and so did NDSU in winning 5 titles. I am not sure what they are going to totally believe in. The Gophers under Mason ran inside and outside zone as well as anyone in the country but we're critiqued for there passing game. You only have so much time to develop your offense in practice. You are not going to be great at both unless your talent is superior and athletes just make plays. So what you see is what you are going to get with Flect.

Absolutely correct. It's not coaching. It's the recruiting from the last two years. Having a QB that can't run, not coaching but recruiting. ...

Present day coaching had nothing to do with the loss. Not having more than 4 defensive tackles that can play is about recruiting not coaching.

As so many have stated, we lacked the athletes to compete. Coaching had nothing to do with this game. Recruiting in past years did. I would...

Just do a full copy and paste. Save yourself time.

Somebody forgot to tell Brewster it's not coaching, it's recruiting. "It's Johnnies and Joes not X's and O's!" (except for when it's not)

Top Bottom