Maryland Postgame Presser Notes

Maryland isn't a terrible team. They had the talent to beat Texas. That's saying something, but this Minnesota team had as much talent, if not more, and should have beat this team at home. I blame PJ's coaching staff. Please be more prepared for Purdue!

As far as the drug test thing - I suppose Fleck could tell all prospective recruits that "we drug test our players, so if you smoke pot, don't bother going to the U of MN." Now, that might very well cost the U some recruits, but it would save Fleck the trouble of having to suspend players. Ditto with other team rules - make sure the recruits are 100% clear on what the rules and expectations for behavior will be at MN. Try to weed out (pun intended) the trouble-makers before they get on campus.

Some people, at least, would applaud Fleck for setting high values for his players. But in the end, if he doesn't win enough games, all the values in the world won't keep him as a D1 head coach.

I am sure there are some people who don't give a rip whether the players are firing up the bong every night - as long as they win. It all comes back to what type of program you want to have. Does winning trump all other considerations, or not?

Maryland isn't a terrible team. They had the talent to beat Texas. That's saying something, but this Minnesota team had as much talent, if not more, and should have beat this team at home. I blame PJ's coaching staff. Please be more prepared for Purdue!

Based on what? It's not based on recruiting rankings. It definitely wasn't based on the eye test either.

I can easily see a guy or two smoking pot on an odd night. If we have more than that, or it's at all frequent, put me in the group that would be very surprised. I don't believe this a team thing or a team concern.

As far as the drug test thing - I suppose Fleck could tell all prospective recruits that "we drug test our players, so if you smoke pot, don't bother going to the U of MN." Now, that might very well cost the U some recruits, but it would save Fleck the trouble of having to suspend players. Ditto with other team rules - make sure the recruits are 100% clear on what the rules and expectations for behavior will be at MN. Try to weed out (pun intended) the trouble-makers before they get on campus.

Some people, at least, would applaud Fleck for setting high values for his players. But in the end, if he doesn't win enough games, all the values in the world won't keep him as a D1 head coach.

I am sure there are some people who don't give a rip whether the players are firing up the bong every night - as long as they win. It all comes back to what type of program you want to have. Does winning trump all other considerations, or not?

No question about it. I personally don't think smoking weed is a big deal and should not be penalized. However, if that is one of PJ's rules, go ahead and suspend them. Just don't think that you are going to get the quality recruits that you want. Parents might like the speech, but some of the most gifted kids will be turned off.

Based on what? It's not based on recruiting rankings. It definitely wasn't based on the eye test either.

Maryland, in the last two years, has recruited two top 20 classes. They have out recruited all but OhSt, Michigan, and Penn State. Durkin is a good coach in year three, and UnderArmor is financing him like Nike did for Oregon. Maryland is a good team and an up and coming program, but many on this board is acting like we just lost to Rutgers.

Maryland, in the last two years, has recruited two top 20 classes. They have out recruited all but OhSt, Michigan, and Penn State. Durkin is a good coach in year three, and UnderArmor is financing him like Nike did for Oregon. Maryland is a good team and an up and coming program, but many on this board is acting like we just lost to Rutgers.
Finally, someone is paying attention.

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

So do we judge talent on recruiting rankings (if so, at what date I need to ask you) or on draftable seniors? Is there any other fair measurement one can use?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Present day coaching had nothing to do with the loss. Not having more than 4 defensive tackles that can play is about recruiting not coaching. Not having a QB that can throw and run. Is not about coaching but past years recruiting. Not having more than 3cornerbacks that can cover is not about coaching, but recruiting. No excuses in 3 years.

At the end of the day, given the time they had to prepare, both the coaching staff and team under performed yesterday but the train didn't run off the tracks. It just a little wake up call. They'll make game plan and personnel adjustments and move forward.

So do we judge talent on recruiting rankings (if so, at what date I need to ask you) or on draftable seniors? Is there any other fair measurement one can use?

Yes, you judge talent on recruiting rankings, and do so over the last 3 years (as most NFL talent leaves after year 3). It’s not a great indicator of who has better talent when two teams rank close, like say 12 vs 19. It is however, a good indicator when teams are far apart, like 20 (MD) and 40’s (MN).

Yes, you judge talent on recruiting rankings, and do so over the last 3 years (as most NFL talent leaves after year 3). It’s not a great indicator of who has better talent when two teams rank close, like say 12 vs 19. It is however, a good indicator when teams are far apart, like 20 (MD) and 40’s (MN).

Thanks. That makes knowing who has the most talented team easy.

No question about it. I personally don't think smoking weed is a big deal and should not be penalized. However, if that is one of PJ's rules, go ahead and suspend them. Just don't think that you are going to get the quality recruits that you want. Parents might like the speech, but some of the most gifted kids will be turned off.

I think there might be an NCAA rule about it.

It's because they won 9 games last year and Maryland won 6. Duh

Why then, since we ended up with a better record than Wash. St and beat them in the Holiday bowl was Wash St. ranked pre-season for this year and Minn not receive any votes. Your comment is assinine, with the emphasis on ass.

Why then, since we ended up with a better record than Wash. St and beat them in the Holiday bow was Wash St. ranked pre-season for this year and Minn not receive any votes. Your comment is assinine, with the emphasis on ass.

Sarcasm

Can someone please provide me an average recruiting ranking over the past 3 years of MN vs Purdue. I would like to know ahead of time if we can compete this Saturday or not. Thanks in advance.

I think there might be an NCAA rule about it.

Really?

Just because there is a rule, doesn't mean it is enforced. If the NCAA were to actually care about testing players for marijuana, most teams wouldn't have enough players to field a team. The NCAA wants nothing to do with killing the golden goose.

Really?

Just because there is a rule, doesn't mean it is enforced. If the NCAA were to actually care about testing players for marijuana, most teams wouldn't have enough players to field a team. The NCAA wants nothing to do with killing the golden goose.

I think sports fans in general suspend disbelief that their squeaky clean program could possibly have guys that like to drink, smoke, and rock and roll. Not to mention use of PEDs including anabolics.

The general approach

<iframe src="https://giphy.com/embed/13d2jHlSlxklVe" width="480" height="318" frameBorder="0" class="giphy-embed" allowFullScreen></iframe><p><a href="https://giphy.com/gifs/reaction-explosion-government-13d2jHlSlxklVe">via GIPHY</a></p>

PED policies

<iframe src="https://giphy.com/embed/kcBkJTnSvTyfu" width="480" height="360" frameBorder="0" class="giphy-embed" allowFullScreen></iframe><p><a href="https://giphy.com/gifs/mrw-bots-rthedonald-kcBkJTnSvTyfu">via GIPHY</a></p>

Except this is year two for him. And he delivered the 18th rated class in his first full year of recruiting. Up from 41 in his first class (short recruiting time frame). I was impressed with their staff on Saturday. They were prepared.

You didn't answer the question. How is Maryland terrible?

because they're only in year two of the new regime. I've been assured, you can't win until year 3 or 4. Maryland was a sh!t show under Edsal. Just wait for two years from now!

(as most NFL talent leaves after year 3).

This is not true. In recent years, about 100 players with remaining eligibility declare for the NFL draft each year, and around 30 of those go undrafted. That means about 180 draftees have fully exhausted their eligibility, and around 70 haven't. In fact, many of those in that 70 are 4th-year juniors with remaining eligibility. Probably 20% of NFL draftees each year are guys who left after 3 years.

The great teams year after year have two-deeps filled with 4th- and 5th-year players. It makes more sense to use the past 5 years than the past 3 years.

I can easily see a guy or two smoking pot on an odd night. If we have more than that, or it's at all frequent, put me in the group that would be very surprised. I don't believe this a team thing or a team concern.

You are horribly out of touch.

You are horribly out of touch.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/candid-coaches-getting-real-onmarijuana-legalization-testing-in-college-football/

We are not in Colorado or Oregon. This is the football team not the student body. They spent the month of August under PJ's control pretty much 24 hours a day. I don't believe Jerry would have over looked it making it necessary for PJ to install new tougher drug enforcement. I have no idea what goes on with the Gophers...you are right...but I have a pretty good idea about discipline and coaching athletes. And I'd be very surprised if Jerry and Tracy condoned weed. That's what I'm saying. I don't believe it is a rampant Gopher football team issue.

Can someone please provide me an average recruiting ranking over the past 3 years of MN vs Purdue. I would like to know ahead of time if we can compete this Saturday or not. Thanks in advance.

Ha!

"We're going to make a decision as to whether we need to bring some guys back or not."
He's suspending players that he doesn't think he needs. Y'all think I'm nuts but he literally said it in the press conference.

His wording wasn't very clear there. What he meant was that they are going to have to decide whether to bring back certain players that were injured early on rather than let them take medical redshirts. So say a guy was hurt in the first few games but is healthy enough to play with 4-5 conference games left. Normally you would want to let them redshirt, but he may ask them to play.

Top Bottom