B1G Talent

Maryland has certainly seen a talent upswing, but this wasn't Alabama the Gophers just played.

They wern’t Alabama, and that is why we were in the game and lost by only one TD. But make no mistake this was an uphill battle the Gophers were fighting.

Yes, and Fleck is being paid three times as much as Claeys, his assistants (no idea how much in comparison to coach Claeys)? Fleck is being presented as an elite program builder.

Though I actually like Fleck and really want him to be successful, I still think he (and his staff) did a very poor job of coaching. I know he is aware of it, so this is really toward the Fleck can never do wrong crowd. Fleck is getting paid three times as much as the previous staff. I have no idea what his assistants are getting paid, but I am guessing their pay is higher as well. Fleck and staff have a responsibility to the current players. Not just these (higher ranked) better recruits that might come to Minnesota. Even with the piss poor coaching job yesterday, the players played hard and maybe could have won that game. The coaches failed them with a flawed game plan and a system that does NOT put them in position to win.

That is NOT ELITE.

Fleck does not have a responsibility to the current players. People always claim that coaches should change their "system" to match the players they have. That just isn't how it's done. Coaches don't have time for that, they have to get their system up and running for better or worse. Changing everything around just delays the development.

Fleck does not have a responsibility to the current players. People always claim that coaches should change their "system" to match the players they have. That just isn't how it's done. Coaches don't have time for that, they have to get their system up and running for better or worse. Changing everything around just delays the development.

Coaches have a responsibility to ALL their players. It is what they are getting paid to do. You don't need to change your system, but you do need to adapt to the players you have.

Flect is going to lose this team if the only way to discipline is to suspend players so they end up punishing the rest of the team. He's now afraid to run his offense because of depth from it. What system is he developing. Watered down what? Defensively he knew he was thinking at Def. End. Position. You've got a 6'10" kid who likes to hit at TE. who he could have moved there. He's moving a qb to dB so why not. Use your personnel. He could have moved Richardson to end with his explosive first step. He has inside people to plug. If inside zone is your main play how can you not run boots off it for play action? What is his offense?

They wern’t Alabama, and that is why we were in the game and lost by only one TD. But make no mistake this was an uphill battle the Gophers were fighting.
People act like we lost 55-0. We lost, but it came down in the end to some big plays by Maryland and turnovers by our QB.

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

People act like we lost 55-0. We lost, but it came down in the end to some big plays by Maryland and turnovers by our QB.

Teams with superior athletes make more big plays and cause more turnovers. There is a direct correlation between the two.

Did I just read that Wozniak should be playing Defensive End?

You are spot on SON. And most here realize it. There are a handful of PJ supporters that wouldn't criticize him for murdering people. He can do no wrong. They are Flecknotized. Of course, when they get called out for it they will just say others are Claeys guys and not objective. One did that just yesterday. Rinse. Repeat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

At least come up with your own lame analogizes. I can see why you think this way, just flip Claeys and Fleck in your comments and it describes you exactly.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Don't agree with the premise, but what in these first four games is evidence of this happening for you? Defense looks to be playing about the same, and the offense actually looks to be more conservative than in recent past.

Would you rather have someone out weighed by 70 lbs. There instead or try to throw over 6'10" 280 lbs.

200.webp

I can admit we came out flat, didn't have a great gameplan and didn't make good in-game adjustments.

But can the Claeysites admit the following:

1. As GWG accurately stated, last we year we had Myrick, Travis, Winfield and Hardin at DB. 2 of those guys are now in the NFL, a 3rd will be, and the 4th might have been. Yesterday we had Shenault, Kiondre Thomas, Jacob Huff and Ayinde. Not even remotely the same level of talent at DB.
2. On the o-line we have 2 underclassmen and first year starters (Olson and Connelly) and 3 JUCOs who with 1 year of experience. Not exactly the stuff that great lines are made of. Having Weyler injured has hurt us. Having Moore and Mayes transfer hurt as well.
3. We have 1 legitimate B1G DE that is playing - Winston D. A senior DE who can play the run like Elmore would have made a big difference yesterday.
4. Our starting QB was a walk-on that no one ever expected to see starting. Maryland's 3rd string QB had comparable/better skills than our starter.
5. WR is an absolute cluster. We all knew that Still needed to have a big year for us to be average at WR. He's been MIA all year. The two promising freshmen, Bell and Douglass, have been hampered with injuries. Where is the proven upperclassmen at WR?

In summary: Culture 1, Gophers 0

Well, they play the games, and it ends up that the teams with top 5 recruiting classes over the past 3 years make it to the playoffs.

So pretty much the sport plays out as you say, “just recruit and you win a title.”

Michigan State and Washington didn't have close to top 5 classes. For all you Wisconsin boosters Wisconsin hasn't had close to top 5 classes.

It isn't all about recruiting. If I had to break it down success is 55-60% recruiting and 40% coaching and yes I pulled that out of my ass. The best teams tend to have the best coaches. They have both. Hard to beat those juggernauts with both talent and coaching which is why it so rarely happens vs lesser competition.

At least come up with your own lame analogizes. I can see why you think this way, just flip Claeys and Fleck in your comments and it describes you exactly.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Right. I have been told for months exactly that. There is no possible reason I could ever possibly criticize PJ unless I am bitter about Claeys being fired. I want PJ to fail. I loved yesterday's game. Exactly. So astute. No chance I could think PJ is a better choice and has a higher ceiling as coach AND think he is a windbag that got out coached yesterday. No way - I'm just flipping how I feel on to others. It is the only possibility. Brilliant.

The amount of deflecting done in some of these threads is crazy.

The question really is, do we have enough talent to compete in the Big 10?

IMO
- To be decent - Yes.
- To win the Big 10 - No.
- To beat Maryland at home - Absolutely.

I don't blame Fleck for yesterday's loss. It stunk, but it happens. However, I am also not going to pretend like Fleck is hampered by a team without any talent.

IMO
- To be decent - Yes.

I don't blame Fleck for yesterday's loss. It stunk, but it happens. However, I am also not going to pretend like Fleck is hampered by a team without any talent.

You didn't have any issues with the game plan or lack of adjustments?

IMO
- To be decent - Yes.

We should move to the MAC so PJ can have the talent he desires. [emoji57]

At some positions - but the idea that we didn't have the talent to win, or that we should have won going away, is nonsense. This was one of the biggest upsets at TCF Bank stadium and rather than criticizing the coaches for an unprepared, uninspired team and for a terrible game plan that they refused to adjust, we hear about recruiting rankings and how good MD is and blame previous coaching staffs. You really can't make up how flecknotized some are.

No, we have talent, but not as much as Maryland. Watching the game, which positions did we have a clear talent advantage? Other than LB, I think they were better at every other position. They clearly were faster.

You didn't have any issues with the game plan or lack of adjustments?

I didn't have a huge issue with the playcalling. I thought it was largely poor tackling and lack of execution. We also got beat up front.

No, we have talent, but not as much as Maryland. Watching the game, which positions did we have a clear talent advantage? Other than LB, I think they were better at every other position. They clearly were faster.

MD speedsters
Ty Johnson was a three star recruit without any other Power 5 offers.
DJ Moore was a three star recruit without any helmet school offers.

MD speedsters

The QB was also a 3 star with MAC offers.
All this goes to show that talent can come from anywhere.
MD was not more talented than us, they just were better at utilizing it yesterday.

MD speedsters

Moore was 4* recruit on Rivals. The starting OL which manhandled our DL yesterday: Prince 5*, Davis 4*, Gray 4*, Moore 3*, Christie 3*. Four RS JRs and a Sophomore. Pretty much the same as our OL though right?

MD speedsters

Maryland starting WR Taivon Jacobs (fastest WR on the roster) high 3*/4*and a former OSU commit.

I thought offers was where it's at in judging players.

Are we talking about the speed of their offensive line now? I thought we were talking about skill player speed. I was way off!

I can admit we came out flat, didn't have a great gameplan and didn't make good in-game adjustments.

But can the Claeysites admit the following:

1. As GWG accurately stated, last we year we had Myrick, Travis, Winfield and Hardin at DB. 2 of those guys are now in the NFL, a 3rd will be, and the 4th might have been. Yesterday we had Shenault, Kiondre Thomas, Jacob Huff and Ayinde. Not even remotely the same level of talent at DB.
2. On the o-line we have 2 underclassmen and first year starters (Olson and Connelly) and 3 JUCOs who with 1 year of experience. Not exactly the stuff that great lines are made of. Having Weyler injured has hurt us. Having Moore and Mayes transfer hurt as well.
3. We have 1 legitimate B1G DE that is playing - Winston D. A senior DE who can play the run like Elmore would have made a big difference yesterday.
4. Our starting QB was a walk-on that no one ever expected to see starting. Maryland's 3rd string QB had comparable/better skills than our starter.
5. WR is an absolute cluster. We all knew that Still needed to have a big year for us to be average at WR. He's been MIA all year. The two promising freshmen, Bell and Douglass, have been hampered with injuries. Where is the proven upperclassmen at WR?

Those 3 Jucos had one less year of experience. Nobody even tried to keep Elmore. That is assuming he could have been convinced to stay.

This years Maryland team has much more talent than last year. Last year, Durkin was mostly playing with a lot of what was left over from the dreadful Edsall years with the addition of some talent he recruited in the mix. But this year, the team is infused with Durkin's first full recruiting cycle which was very good. 2018 is shaping up for another very good class from him. The DMV is talent rich and Durkin and his staff is getting it. Maryland just also build a state of the art indoor football facility which is amazing. He definitely has it going in the right direction.

I can only speak for myself here. Maryland has a very talented team, and great fans. With that said, our Gophers gave a very poor effort. Too me it reflected the coaching staffs lack of preparation and just flat out bad coaching. Maryland could have still beat us, but by not being able to hold the edge (amongst other things), Maryland just needed to do the bare minimum to win the game. I'd argue that because of Maryland's team speed, it was even more important to be able to hold the edge, or be extremely disruptive. No disrespect to Maryland. I just think that the Terps exposed a weakness that may make for a long season for the Gophers.

Yes your staff is getting it done. Best wishes the rest of the way!

No a coach doesn't have time to throw away seasons and dig a hole for himself. You don't have to change the whole "system" you make tweaks. Some coaches make adjustments all of the time.

I didn't have a huge issue with the playcalling. I thought it was largely poor tackling and lack of execution. We also got beat up front.

From my seat it was painfully obvious. The box was stacked... continued RUTM. Wide open behind the LBs but no adjustments to try to exploit.

MD speedsters
What do 2 players and their star ranking have to do with overall team speed and athleticism?

I thought offers was where it's at in judging players.

Are we talking about the speed of their offensive line now? I thought we were talking about skill player speed. I was way off!

Don't worry about it, you usually are.

Top Bottom